Which option is best?

tl01

I weighed DS today on my home scale and I think he weighs about 29.5 lbs with just a diaper and T-shirt on. I'm going to weigh him at the ped's office on Monday with all his clothes for reference sake. We have him in a Boulevard right now but would like to keep him RFing as long as possible. He is 17 months old right now. If he hits 32/33 lbs before his 2nd birthday would you turn him and FF him in a tethered Boulevard or would you buy a Como and have him RFing w/o a RFing tether. I don't want to buy a Dorel produced seat even for just 2 lbs. I can leave a seat at my parent's house as justification for needing a new seat.

Thanks!

ADS

LeeLi

If it were me and he hit 33 pounds before 2 I would seriously consider buying a seat with a 35 lb limit.
I would keep weighing him full dressed and use the BV for as long as possible before getting a new seat. It may be that you can get to 2 or more before he gains those last 3 pounds.
And personally I would get a Scenera or maybe an Advance, but that's because I'm not worried about Dorel...

tl01

After reading the post about RF tethering the Como, I'm wondering if the cargo anchor I have in my car would count as a place to tether the seat. That would be the perfect solution.

tl01

Anyone else?

My concern about Dorel is not just my son's safety; however, I don't want to give money to a company given I don't believe in its business practices.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'd prefer to RF without the tether over turning him FF, personally. Depending on our budget at the time, I'd want a Como, since it would then be used for several years longer than the Scenera. But I'd feel okay with getting a Scenera while I saved up for a Como, too.

I would hold out for Recaro to state something in writing about RF tething, even if I had a handy cargo hook. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be okay, but it's just incredibly odd to me that they haven't included it.

LuvBug

a non tethered rearfacing seat is STILL going to be safer than a forward facing seat. So it would totally be worth it to RF him longer. You could try the new triumph advanced. It has the 35lbs limit and a much taller shell than the older version.

ZephyrBlue

I'd buy a Como in a heartbeat, too, to avoid a Dorel seat (actually, I wouldn't buy an Evenflo seat, either, but that's just my :twocents:) Our Como is coming today and if I can get a good install with it, I may leave it untethered, but am undecided (I may tether it using my Britax D-Ring, too, but I've talked with 2 engineers about it who have pretty much convinced me that the tether extender/D-Ring is just lengthening the tether and not changing the distribution of the load AT ALL, so it's definately a parental decision to go against the manuf. recommendations). But in your case, I'd def. buy another seat to keep him RF an extra 2lbs at that age. Heck, my DS is almost 2.5 and one of the reasons I sold the BV to buy the Como is those 2 extra lbs.

southpawboston

i honestly think that people are making too big a deal out of RF tethering. i would choose a non-RF tethered RFing seat over a tethered FF-ing seat ANY DAY. RF is safer than FF, period, regardless of any benefit of a tether.

EDIT: sorry luvbug, i missed your post before writing this.

steph

I weighed DS today on my home scale and I think he weighs about 29.5 lbs with just a diaper and T-shirt on. I'm going to weigh him at the ped's office on Monday with all his clothes for reference sake. We have him in a Boulevard right now but would like to keep him RFing as long as possible. He is 17 months old right now. If he hits 32/33 lbs before his 2nd birthday would you turn him and FF him in a tethered Boulevard or would you buy a Como and have him RFing w/o a RFing tether. I don't want to buy a Dorel produced seat even for just 2 lbs. I can leave a seat at my parent's house as justification for needing a new seat.

Thanks!

I could have written your post (except Ryan is 28.8 pounds with just a diaper). I am definately weighing my options for Ryan if he hits 33 pounds before March. I will consider the Como but I am also considering the Britax Advocate (it is rumored it is going to 35pounds rf but it won't be out until november). I have 2 Britax BV's and would probably sell one since I too am like you about Dorel.....

tl01

I think we'll keep weighing him and once he hits around 31 lbs I'll order a Como for him. I guess that even if he makes it to 2 years before he hits 33 lbs, it would be nice to RF him for the extra two lbs anyway. I'm looking forward to hearing about what Recaro decides about the RFing tether. It seems hard ot believe that they would make this great seat from scratch and not include a RFing tether the way Britax does.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Well, I'm kind of thinking about the same thing right now, even though E just turned 3. This morning when I weighed him he was 30.5 lbs (after breakfast and not quite fully clothed), but the other day when I weighed him he was 32.5 lbs (in the afternoon fully clothed). I can't afford a Como for him right now, but I know that I want to keep him RF as long as possible, which could be for another 6 mos if I can get a 35 lb RF seat. I originally thought the Uptown, but now I don't really want to buy a Dorel seat for various reasons, so maybe the Triumph Advance, but if I'm opposed to a Dorel seat, I should probably be opposed to an Evenflo seat, too, right? So, that leaves the Como, which I can't afford, so I'm so conflicted!

LuvBug

EDIT: sorry luvbug, i missed your post before writing this.

:p I was about to say lol!

I do think the rearfacing tether can be beneficial, but the only time I would feel like it was necessary would be if there was something harmful for the child to rebound in to, such as the windshield- like in a truck. If you get a seat with nice sidewings that would add more protection and the como is said to have very deep sidewings so Id be very comfortable with that seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC