wwyd???

canadiannanny

We are due with our first September 23 2013. I drive a 2008 ford focus ses and fiancé drives a 2011 Mitsubishi outlander. I am 5'4 and fiancé is 5'10 so height shouldn't be a big concern and both of average weight.
Our friends bought a snug ride 35 five months ago (manufacturing date post regulation changes) and have offered to sell it to us for cheap $100 or so.
We thought this would be great but Im beginning to think it may be a bit of overkill combined with how big a seat it is.
I am wondering if a snug ride 30 would be better? It still has the option to hold to a higher weight but I assume is smaller width and length wise? Is it significantly smaller? My car is small and I'd prefer not to have to have seats up far.

I nannied for twins and had two marathons installed at the mores upright angle and that is about as far forward as I'd like my seats. Will the snugridew 35 take up more room front to back than the marathons?

If it matter we will be using a bugaboo frog. I haven't purchased adapters yet but I assume there is a option for the 30 (I know they have one for 35)

ADS

bubbaray

I would not use a used car seat, period. Price is obviously no object if you can afford a Bug. It is far more important, safety wise, to purchase a seat you are absolutely sure of. You can never be 100% sure with a used seat. Harness could have been washed, seat could have been dropped etc.

Generally an infant seat will take up about the same room as a RFg MA.

finn

I would use a second hand seat that was bought off a friend, that way you can check it hasn't been in an accident, the straps haven't been washed and it has been taken care of.

We have a bug and love love love it, it is my all time favourite buggy. I used it with a maxi cosi capsule and bought the adapters for it :)

Pp my bug cost me $250 and came with accessories, you really can't make assumptions about what people can and can't afford based on what buggy they are using.

canadiannanny

Oh I should have mentioned it is a very close friend that is aware of not to wash straps and to treat it carefully. She is very careful and aware of safety concerns. I am also a tech so aware of the risks.
The frog is used as we lucked out and was able to get it for the same price we would have paid for a graco system.

I am concerned about size- is the 35 going to be a hassle? Is the 30 noticeably smaller and lighter? What about front to back?

amyd

I wouldn't think that you will notice a huge difference in the size between the 30 and the 35. I've used both a 22 and a 32 in the same small vehicle (Honda Civic) and did not have issues with the 32 being too large (it's the same shell as the 35). DH & I are both 5'10".

CleverName

I don't think that the 35 is any larger than the 30/32. We had a Graco SafeSeat, it was good to 32", 30 lbs. It expired in December, and we replaced it with a Graco Snugride 35. We paid $140 plus tax for it from Sears, it was on sale, and we used a discount code which are often available from sites like retailmenot.
I haven't measured the two, and I can't seem to find the specs online, but the difference is only a couple of cm, if there's any difference at all. My hubby is 6'4", and he hasn't had to change the way he has his driver seat since the carseat switch.

For $100, I would probably wait and find one on sale.
Personally, that's not a cheap enough price for me to buy an older used seat vs just having a new seat with a more current manufacture date. This seat is probably around a year older than one you would buy new. If you're planning on having more children, this will be important. You have lots of time to keep an eye out for a sale. :)

With only one child, wouldn't you put the carseat in the middle seat?

Jessica61624

I don't think that the 35 is any larger than the 30/32. We had a Graco SafeSeat, it was good to 32", 30 lbs. It expired in December, and we replaced it with a Graco Snugride 35. We paid $140 plus tax for it from Sears, it was on sale, and we used a discount code which are often available from sites like retailmenot.
I haven't measured the two, and I can't seem to find the specs online, but the difference is only a couple of cm, if there's any difference at all. My hubby is 6'4", and he hasn't had to change the way he has his driver seat since the carseat switch.

For $100, I would probably wait and find one on sale.
Personally, that's not a cheap enough price for me to buy an older used seat vs just having a new seat with a more current manufacture date. This seat is probably around a year older than one you would buy new. If you're planning on having more children, this will be important. You have lots of time to keep an eye out for a sale. :)

With only one child, wouldn't you put the carseat in the middle seat?

The op is in Canada and prices are way more. The safeseat you owned is the same shell as the snugride 35. The snugride 30 is a newer seat. The biggest difference is the width. I wouldn't go for the 30 in your situation.

bbartlettnfld

I bought the Snugride 35 for my Nephew who was born Sept 28th 2012! Both my brother and SIL are short and they drive a Nissan Versa (small car!) They have no issues with it behind the passenger and since the handle can be up while driving it keeps the front to back space a bit more compact. They did originally have it in the centre but my SIL found it too heavy to swing the bucket into the base in the centre. They also use it with the Bugaboo adaptor.

As a tech I too would be ok with using a post 2012 carseat from a trusted friend. The snugride 35 here in Canada is regularly $219 , on sale usually $180-$190 or so, so getting it for $100 is a good deal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC