Mini van help! Sienna vs. Odyssey

amelia

I am looking to purchase a new to me car and would like a minivan this time for the family friendly features. I am going crazy trying to figure out which to get, Sienna or Odyssey. I am interested in probably a 2011 with low miles and want leather (so probably an EX-L in the Odyssey if I go that route??). We have an almost five year old and a six month old with the chance of a third child in the future. I looked at new mini vans and was turned off of the Sienna due to the fact that it only had one top tether anchor in the third row and I really would like at least two. Also if you were to install with Latch in the center seat, the seatbelt insert for the seat next to it would be under the carseat. What year did the Sienna change to one tether anchor? I really would like flexibility with carseats and absolutely want the ability to top tether for forward facing seats. The ability to seat eight passengers is also a big plus. Please help with any and all opinions on the pluses and minuses of each of the vehicles and anything I should look out for. Thank you!

ADS

romanoma

I started a similar thread a few months ago and got some great replies. I'll link when not on my phone.

Both ody and sienna changed body style in 2011. Ody for the better, sienna for the worse. So 2010 sienna is better than a newer one for car seats.

We ended up with a great deal on a new 12 odyssey.

MommyShannon

Yes, 2011 and newer Odys have 4 full LATCH and 6 top tethers total. 2006-2010 Odys have 5 top tethers with 3 full LATCH. We have an '06 and its been great for carseats. The 8th seat is a lot bigger in the newer models.

Stelvis

I loooove my '11 Ody.

Also, we found that new was really almost the same price as 1-2 years used, plus we got a finance rate of 0.9% which you wouldn't get on a used car. So it was not a big price jump to just go new and get the full warranty.

luckyclov

I've owned both (2011 Sienna and now a 2012 Ody).

I like some things about both, dislike some things about both.

The Sienna is definitely more spacious, especially between the first and 2nd rows, and holds more cargo. The Sienna is also taller. My oldest's HBB has outgrown the 3rd row of my Ody, but had a few inches left overhead in the Sienna.

The Sienna, as mentioned, only has 3 complete sets of LATCH -- no extra top tether anchors. The 8th seat is narrow and not child seat friendly, though it IS older kid friendly (smaller seat overall = sooner 5-step). I initially chose the Sienna over the Ody because it fit my family of 5 (with 2 "big kids" in the mix) better.

The 8 passenger Ody has 5 complete LATCH sets and 2 "extra" top tether anchors -- the 8th seat is child seat friendly.

There's no "inside" armrests on the captains chairs in the Ody and that really peeves my DD off.

The Ody has less road noise than the Sienna, but the Sienna had no "wind" noise like the Ody does.

The Ody doesn't have an antenna mast like the Sienna does, so it won't break off in the car wash, leaving a half screwed in screw buried deep. ;)

The Ody has better NHTSA crash ratings. Both are IIHS Top Safety Picks.

ADD: Correction of LATCH sets.

Last edited:

o_mom

Yes, 2011 and newer Odys have 4 full LATCH and 6 top tethers total.

The 8 passenger Ody has 4 complete LATCH sets and 2 "extra" top tether anchors -- the 8th seat is child seat friendly.

The 2011+ 8-pass Odysseys actually have 5 full sets of LATCH and one additional top tether anchor. All three seats in the second row and the two outboard third row seats all have a full set of LATCH.

luckyclov

The 2011+ 8-pass Odysseys actually have 5 full sets of LATCH and one additional top tether anchor. All three seats in the second row and the two outboard third row seats all have a full set of LATCH.
Yes, there are 5 complete LATCH sets in the 2011+ 8-pass Ody. I don't know why I said 4. Duh.

There is a top tether anchor in each rear seating position of the 8 passenger 2011+ Ody (for a total of 6 TA) and a set of lower anchors in each captains chair, the 8th seat , and driver and passenger side 3rd row (for a total of 5 sets of LA).

MommyShannon

Lol, I knew that too. Not sure why I typed that. I think I start messing up numbers since mine is a 7 passenger.

Last edited:

luckyclov

I would really do your math, esp if you are financing. Buying new with a low rate will likely be cheaper than a 2011.
Ditto.
Used Siennas and Odysseys (even previous generation) are ridiculously stickered, IMO, and there is little flexibility room on used vehicle pricing. Many times you can pick up new stock for not much more than a used one AND take advantage of special financing (no or low interest rates).

amelia

Thank you again everyone for your help. After looking at used 2011 Odysseys EX-Ls which ranged from $28,500 to $30,000 (mileage 30,000 and below), I think we are going to end up with new. We have been negotiating prices on 2013 EX-L and are down to just under $31,000 brand new.

amelia

I just want to thank everyone again for your help. I ended up getting a 2013 Odyssey EX-L a couple of weeks ago and so far I love it. We now have plenty of room, it drives great and car seats installed and fit easily. I originally did not want a minivan but am glad we went that route as it really is much easier with kids with the sliding doors. Anyway thanks again to all who provided input. It was a huge decision for me and I am grateful for the help.

Yeah, another Odyssey driver!

DW, when younger, was one of the "a minivan over my dead body" type of person. After kids, she's soooo glad for the convenience.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC