Is the Kiddy Car seat really safe?

bekah

Does anyone have one that they use regularly? I feel like it goes against everything we've learned that a harness is best. Yet, I can see the advantages to a seat like that for an older (3+ years) child. Especially since the grandparents could use it correctly.

ADS

Suzibeck

I have never played with one but they are not anything like the old shield boosters. There was someone from here, or maybe a different car seat board, who was in a roll over with two kids in Britax Laptops, which is the same type of shield, and they worked exceptionally well. I trust that the Kiddy seat is very safe and I would use one if one fell in my lap. If I had an old car with lap belt only, I would seriously consider this seat, but We have newer cars now.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's basically a harness equivalent--in practice, closer to a harness than a booster.

I had the seat for a while but wasn't able to use it. It doesn't allow a gap between the vehicle seat and the child restraint, and I had a huge one in every position and both vehicles I tried.

The shield is also good only to 40 lbs., so it has limited value, especially to people who rear-face for close to that long (or longer). Even people who don't extended rear-face might very well find their kids too heavy/tall before they're ready for a booster.

So in theory, there's nothing wrong with it. In practice, it has limited value, IMO.

Suzibeck

So in theory, there's nothing wrong with it. In practice, it has limited value, IMO.

I think it is because I have a tiny kid that I'm interested in this seat. She will be 5 in a few weeks but is only a little over 30#, I am not interested enough to spend money on one though. I think I would prefer a harness. If the shield went to a higher weight it would be more tempting.

Phineasmama

It makes a really awesome booster that goes super tall :) I got a really good deal on mine and mostly bought it for the booster function because I have limited options with my van. I'd rather drop $300 full price on the KWP than an Oobr, after having owned both.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It makes a really awesome booster that goes super tall :) I got a really good deal on mine and mostly bought it for the booster function because I have limited options with my van. I'd rather drop $300 full price on the KWP than an Oobr, after having owned both.

I REALLY wanted to use it as a booster, but there was that darn gap issue. :(

bnsnyde

Well, I love the booster (Cruiser Fix).

We rear-faced past 40 lbs. so the carseat never would have made sense for us anyway.

skylinphoto

Ive used our kwp everyday for the past year. I love it.
We rf'd to 4 yrs old then started using the kwp when it came out. My dd turns 5 in two weeks and is only 30 lbs and 42" tall.
Its a super easy to use seat and makes a crazy comfy booster according to my ds whos tried it. :)

Its certainly not a seat that will work for everyone though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

zactayaus

I sooo wish it went to at least 50lbs with the shield. I would love this for my MIL's car for my almost 4yo but he's already 40lbs. :(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
What gap issue, like with your seat back? That's a bummer :(

Yes. The beck of the restraint needs to be flush with the seatback. Non-adjustable/non-removable/jutting headrests and even contoured vehicle seats make that hard. Darren tried in a couple vehicles, as did I, and we didn't get an acceptable install.

bekah

I have a year until I have to make the decision, but the 40 lbs weight limit really stinks! If it was 50, I'd be good. My kids don't hit 50 before being booster ready, but my 5.5 yo is 40 lbs now and I don't put them in boosters until 7 or later.

momtoo3

What gap issue, like with your seat back? That's a bummer :(

Yes. The beck of the restraint needs to be flush with the seatback. Non-adjustable/non-removable/jutting headrests and even contoured vehicle seats make that hard. Darren tried in a couple vehicles, as did I, and we didn't get an acceptable install.

This thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=226696&highlight=KWP has some of the pictures where it was incompatible because of the gap (pics on page 1 and 2.) It did fit on the second row bench in my 2003 caravan with the headrest removed. I don't think we tried it with the headrest in place because I had it off already when I got there. I have no idea if there would have been a gap in the 3rd row or not.

Phineasmama

Yeah it works fine in my Caravan but I can take my head rests off so it's all good! I can see how fixed head rests would be a problem though.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
In my Odyssey, it wasn't headrests but contoured seat backs that were the problem. The sides of the vehicle seat came out farther than the back, so it couldn't sit flush.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC