Dog Car Seat or Harness

jenfrogmom

We finally pulled the trigger and are getting our first dog. Can anyone help me with what I should get for the dog in the vehicle? Or should he ride in a crate in the back? I don't know a great deal about dogs so, please help! LOL!! He is a rather large dog. Blue Tick Coon Hound / Lab mix! <3

ADS

oddduck

Jumping in here too. Very interested in recommended harnesses for dog. We have a 4-5mo old lab (nearly 40lbs). She has been riding in the crate in our 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan, but has pretty well outgrown it.

Dorothy

When I asked this question a while back, soft crating on the floor behind the front seats (although, that obviously works best for puppies, small dogs and cats). A big dog in a dog box in the back (anchored down) would also be an option. Harnesses were Bergen (sp?) and Petbuckle.

There are many others who know a lot more about it, and I'm sure they'll chime in! :)

Irishmama

Is there a concern with crates coming apart and being projectiles in a crash? I have avoided the add-on barriers for this reason, and are currently using a Bergan. I don't think a crate would fit behind our third row anyways, I was just curious.

Wreckgoddess

I wonder about this too, I have a beagle (a fat one!) and I drive a four door car. My previous vehicle was a small SUV, and so I used to just put his crate in the back. It worked great.
But now, I have literally no where to stash a crate. My son's carseat is in the middle of the back seat and I couldn't even get a crate in my front seat or in the backseat next to him even if his carseat was outboard.
I think in my case because my car is so small, a harness may be my only option?
I drive a 2009 Chevy Impala. And have a medium sized large plastic crate that doesn't even fit through the door opening. Sigh.

monstah

All of my "research" revolved around my 35-40 pound Basset / Hound mutt. I might make different choices for different sized dogs.

IMO, the dog restraint is to protect my family, not the dog. I don't want him in a crate crashing into the back of a seat one of my kids is in or flying left to right if in their row in a harness.

My concerns:
- Standard crates and a vast majority of harness's will not withstand moderate crash forces. (I haven't found an in-store crate that I couldn't kick the side or door in if I wanted to.)
- Dog/crate or dog in a failed harness the impact into an occupied seat back could be devastating for the occupant.
- At least one harness in that study may lead to a horrible death for the dog.
- Gates that are designed to separate the way back from the back seat (like Subaru) are not going to withstand crash forces unless maybe they are bolted in and not pressure mounted.

With all of this in mind, I decide to use a Bergan for my dog in the front seat. It's connected to the seat belt where the lap belt anchors to the floor. That should hopefully keep him contained to the front passenger seat. I hope the airbag sensor works but we don't have a place in the back that doesn't put my kids at risk.

If DH is with us, the dog rides on the floor between my legs or on my lap. Sometimes I connect his harness to a seat leg, depending on the drive.

If I could fit all three kids into my second row, then behind the third row would be my first choice for him.

All that said, we recently took in a 100 pound Bernese. There really isn't a good way to transport him and the kids. He has some health problems so he doesn't go places with us. I just schedule his vet visits for when the older two are in school and drive extra alert. :eek: :p

ETA: I've shared this pic here before (it's old) but it shows the harness and where I connect it to the seat belt.

Last edited:

Keeanh

I generally like to have the dogs in crates in the trunk. With vans, I'm not worried about the crate breaking and something managing to find its way over the back seat. I have also had dogs on the floor between the front seats with a harness. I LOVE dogs, but I'm also of the mindset that they're "just dogs". I'm prepared for the fact that in a serious collision, the dog will likely need to be put down no matter where they're riding, and focus more on protecting human occupants from an unrestrained dog.

Lenae

I generally like to have the dogs in crates in the trunk. With vans, I'm not worried about the crate breaking and something managing to find its way over the back seat. I have also had dogs on the floor between the front seats with a harness. I LOVE dogs, but I'm also of the mindset that they're "just dogs". I'm prepared for the fact that in a serious collision, the dog will likely need to be put down no matter where they're riding, and focus more on protecting human occupants from an unrestrained dog.

I'm of the same mindset. We love out Beagle, he's a great dog. But people come first. Scout rides in a crate up against the back seat in DH's Jeep, and DH recently added cargo tie downs. I don't know if it will actually help, but that's what he did. In my car, the dog is tethered on a short lead in the footwell behind Sassy's RF seat.

BananaBoat

Our 25 pound Corgi is always crated in the way back of our SUV. Occasionally the crate will fit behind the drivers seat footwell. It's a soft sided crate & we use bungee cords to secure it. It's ok. He is rarely in the car - maybe a dozen times a year if that - and we don't go far with him these days. I'm not terribly concerned. My very good friend was in a roll over with her 50 pound terrier unrestrained and they were both totally fine. Not sure how, but I've seen them (& the totaled car) since.

Irishmama

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I appreciate all the input. :love:

I do something similar to monstah with the Bergan, and it seems like it's the best option. My goal is the same, to keep the people in the car from being hit with an 85 lb projectile. I love our dog but I know the harness isn't to keep him from being hurt, but more to keep him from hurting others in a crash, and to keep him contained so first responders can do their job.

OP, congrats on the new family member! :D

monstah

After seeing this study on dog harnesses (http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/), I think I would primarily use a secured crate in the back of the vehicle instead of a dog harness.

One thing to note is that there are crash tests on YouTube that show standard crates do almost nothing in a crash, breaking open.
I just quickly searched YouTube but couldn't find the comparisons I watched months ago. I have to run or I'd keep looking.
There are good crash tested crates available like the Variocage but they are $$$.

jenfrogmom

IMG_7305_zps282ecb96.jpg

IMG_7326_zpsbefc2e42.jpg

He is here! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC