Best practice postioning vs front seat passenger

Brianna

Trying to get a RF Tribute and Frontier 85 in a 2008 Malibu. Ideally the FR goes in the middle, but this leaves driver closer to the airbag or front passenger's knees in the dash depending on which side the Tribute is on. If I move the FR outboard behind driver, the Tribute can go in the middle and front passenger gets a few inches of legroom. I have side curtain air bags, but I'm not sure if the FR is too close for them to deploy properly. Thoughts?

View attachment 20150

Last edited:
ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
The side curtain airbags come down from the top of the car and the Frontier should not interfere with them at all, as long as its properly installed. I would install with the Frontier in the outboard position and the Tribute in the center, as long as both are independently tight and properly installed. The safety of the front seat passenger/driver are more important than the Frontier being installed in the center.

Brianna

I had to pull the FR as close to the door as possible to get less than 1" movement for the Tribute. I guess that is part of my worry, because normally when installing outboard I don't pull the seat closer to the door than it normally would be.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Does the vehicle west move up and down as well as front too back? If it does you might be able to try different heights and gain a couple inches.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC