When did your kid outgrow the Turbo?

finn

Ds has just turned 6, the headrest is as high as it can go, so when did your kids outgrow the turbo? I have a Monterrey for him to use but I would have to replace 3 other boosters :eek: or would you be ok with him using the turbo backless in other peoples cars?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My tall torsoed, tall girl has outgrown it, before age 7 (a few months ago and she'll be 7 in April, so about 6 1/2.) She's now in a Safety 1st BoostAir Protect which is the tallest on the market; I'm ok with her in a backless in other people's cars, though, she sits well and it tends to position well on her.

finn

ketchupqueen said:
My tall torsoed, tall girl has outgrown it, before age 7 (a few months ago and she'll be 7 in April, so about 6 1/2.) She's now in a Safety 1st BoostAir Protect which is the tallest on the market; I'm ok with her in a backless in other people's cars, though, she sits well and it tends to position well on her.

I haven't seen them here, we are so limited on boosters over it its frustrating, the turbo costs $200, the Monterey is $250 but I will keep an eye out :(

When did your dd outgrow the Monterey, if you had one? Or does she still fit?

Ds sits really well, he is so good, I will have to see how he looks in the turbo backless, he just seems too young (turned 6 in january) to be in a backless booster lol

gsdguenter

$200 for a turbo?! Lordy that's a lot if $$$$$. We're really spoiled in the US with car seat prices.

tiggercat

Megan (7.5) has been on the top click of the turbo for ages, but still just fits. She's finally growing legs :D So depending on growth patterns you could have a while.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Mamasboys

Oh my, what a dilemma! How's the life-span on the Monterey's in NZ? I believe the US lifespan is 6 years. At those prices, it would be imperative that a new booster would have some useful life for your DD to be able to use it in the future. However, your DS sounds very well behaved and mature. He may very well do fine in the no back. Each switch (RF to FF to HBB to LBB) is so unnerving at first, isn't it?

tiggercat

The Monterey is much taller, fwiw. My 5ft+ 5 stepping 12yo can still (barely) fit into it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I haven't seen them here, we are so limited on boosters over it its frustrating, the turbo costs $200, the Monterey is $250 but I will keep an eye out :(

When did your dd outgrow the Monterey, if you had one? Or does she still fit?

Ds sits really well, he is so good, I will have to see how he looks in the turbo backless, he just seems too young (turned 6 in january) to be in a backless booster lol

I haven't sat her in one lately, if at all. She might still fit... She outgrew the Turbo just about the same time she outgrew the harness on the Frontier 85. She'd probably have a little room in the Monterey...

And I have had this one in a backless for short trips in other people's cars since right after she was 6 in some situations. Including my mom's car which is tiny and has no side airbags. It was what worked to get her safely buckled when I couldn't be there to do it. That's what you gotta do sometimes.

finn

Mamasboys said:
Oh my, what a dilemma! How's the life-span on the Monterey's in NZ? I believe the US lifespan is 6 years. At those prices, it would be imperative that a new booster would have some useful life for your DD to be able to use it in the future. However, your DS sounds very well behaved and mature. He may very well do fine in the no back. Each switch (RF to FF to HBB to LBB) is so unnerving at first, isn't it?

I think it's 6 years, same as you guys lol & yes it is unnerving, we all tend to drive older cars, with no side curtain air bags over here so I like him to be protected :) I might just have to start saving pennies (or 10 cent pieces as we don't have pennies lol) and buy him another Monterey :)

finn

gsdguenter said:
$200 for a turbo?! Lordy that's a lot if $$$$$. We're really spoiled in the US with car seat prices.

Lol this will blow your socks off, the Scenera is $200 as well! The Diono radian xt is $550, the recaro prosport is $600!!! Which is about what it costs to import a Swedish seat.

tiggercat

I think it's 6 years, same as you guys lol & yes it is unnerving, we all tend to drive older cars, with no side curtain air bags over here so I like him to be protected :) I might just have to start saving pennies (or 10 cent pieces as we don't have pennies lol) and buy him another Monterey :)

They just took away our pennies here, it is so weird.

Mamasboys

Yikes! I just discovered my car has no side curtain bags, either, so I'm seriously considering the Monterery for my little, squirmy 9 year old. Looks like the best option for side protection with bigger kids. I understand saving up the pennies (we still have them in the US, for now...). We did that to finance the Britax and now the Radian I ordered for YDS.

I looked at the Baby On the Move (NZ) website. Wow! For the prices, Montereys still seem like a very good investment. The measurements spreadsheet shows about 2 inches more growing room over the TB. That could mean 2-3 years for a child. $200 Scenera?! I loved my Scenera, but not THAT much, lol!

bekah

I guess I'm in the minority, but my 7.5 yo has three clicks to go! He has a short'ish torso and 16.25 (he's 48 inches tall or so)

glockchick

My 8 1/2 year old is on the top setting but still has some room to grow and fits comfortable in the TB. She normally rides in a backless PW.

NVMBR02

DD1 outgrew it just before she turned 8. DS is not quite 7 1/ and on the last click, I doubt he will make it to summer.

He still had quite a bit of growing room the Monterey but I haven't really tried him in many other HB boosters (besides the OS Parkway).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC