Triumph Advanced deep thoughts

cryswilkins

Well I saw my first one today. I am not sure if I like it. I am surprised that so many people do like it actually.

To me the harness adjustment is the strangest thing ever. On the one that I tried I had to get it just right to adjust, and then it would slide freely and I had a hard time getting it to lock where I wanted it. My DD kept staring at the red tabs on her shoulder like I was insane for thinking that they were comfortable. Wouldn't those dig into their back if they were below the shoulders? The whole thing seemed very ample to break or wear out over time.:shrug-shoulders:

I am also now officially a knob hater. They were easy enough to tighten, but they were hard to get the harness to loosen. We loosen each time to get the right fit.

Overall she had lots of growing room, similar to the MA. But man that seat is WIDE. It will never be a 3 across candidate. The cover that I saw was a suede and was hot (it was 90 here today)

Basically I was not impressed.:thumbsdown:

ADS

mommy2env

I agree, the seat is too wide. I also think the knobs are hard to loosen the harness. I would get very frustrated if I was in a hurry, or it was hot or raining. Okay, I was frustrated at the store too. :eek: But I guess it has its pro's. The higher weight limit, and price .:shrug-shoulders:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the knobs are SUCH a pain to loosen! Fortunately, the straps have to be *at* the shoulder, there's no such thing as ever having them below the shoulder, so that's not an issue :)
Right...weight limit and price... if there were something better at the same price, I'd be recommending it way more than the TA.... :twocents: (I've wrestled with an angry Triumph in a Camry... I swear, every seat should be a breeze to install in a Camry... It's really not my favorite seat...)

crunchierthanthou

I think those are some pretty shallow thoughts. :p

I agree. I do recommed it though. It fits a need of low(er) priced seat with higher rf weight and higher harnessed weight with higher harness height. Basically, everthing is high but the price, which means dealing with the design flaws. I feel the same way about the scenera. I hate installing that thing, but it fits a need better than any comparable seat.

Yoshi

Well, I actually love it. And my 4 yr old daughter (exactly 40 lbs, 40") fits in it WAYYYYYYYYY better than the Marathon in the shoulders and seat depth. Her legs hang, but at the crease of her knee, where they should bend-as the seat is a full 4" deeper than the MA in that area. Ours is easy peasy to loosen and tighten- and once the harness is in place, it doesn't move down at all- it just stays where you put it. I returned one of the original old Triumphs because of the knobs back in 2003. I think when your babies get bigger, you will find they don't fit so well in the Marathons as you hope- not being snarky, it's just something I found to be true with my daughter. We also had a Regent, and it was just overkill for us- so I think my daughter will get to at least 5.5 in this seat. maybe we got lucky, but I had to sing a couple praises for this seat.:twocents:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well, I actually love it. And my 4 yr old daughter (exactly 40 lbs, 40") fits in it WAYYYYYYYYY better than the Marathon in the shoulders and seat depth. Her legs hang, but at the crease of her knee, where they should bend-as the seat is a full 4" deeper than the MA in that area. Ours is easy peasy to loosen and tighten- and once the harness is in place, it doesn't move down at all- it just stays where you put it. I returned one of the original old Triumphs because of the knobs back in 2003. I think when your babies get bigger, you will find they don't fit so well in the Marathons as you hope- not being snarky, it's just something I found to be true with my daughter. We also had a Regent, and it was just overkill for us- so I think my daughter will get to at least 5.5 in this seat. maybe we got lucky, but I had to sing a couple praises for this seat.:twocents:

* raising hand sheepishly*

I like it too. True, it will never work in a 3 in a row in most cars, but I actually like the knob feature. Once you figure it out it is really easy. I have issues with my hands sometimes due to nerve damage from Epstein Bar, so grasping the teeny adjuster strap on most seats can be difficult. The big knobs are much easier. And FWIW, my 8 year old is only 1lb too heavy for it right now, and still fits it by height with about half an inch to go.

Kimberly

MomtoLE

Another Triumph Advance lover! It works for our budget and child's needs. We don't loosen every time as he's typically wearing a basic cotton t-shirt and jeans. If it's more or less clothing we do adjust. The knobs aren't the easiest thing in the world, but they do cut the mustard.

He's so happy in his seat!

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
I love it too. I think part of the reason I love it is because it is such a HUGE improvement over the old version(and of course the higher hgt/wgt limit). I hate the old version, too many quirks that confuse people that don't read the manual. I do think Evenflo uses a poor choice of words as far as the straps locking. They only "lock" if the child is IN the seat. They should should have come up with better wording.

R.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I've seen the Triumph Advance on display at Target and Babies 'R Us, and I think others have found it available at some WalMart stores.

lynsgirl

* raising hand sheepishly*

I like it too. True, it will never work in a 3 in a row in most cars, but I actually like the knob feature. Once you figure it out it is really easy. I have issues with my hands sometimes due to nerve damage from Epstein Bar, so grasping the teeny adjuster strap on most seats can be difficult. The big knobs are much easier. And FWIW, my 8 year old is only 1lb too heavy for it right now, and still fits it by height with about half an inch to go.

Kimberly

:thumbsup: My (admittedly not large) 8.5 yo dd is 53 lbs and was just a hair under the top setting for height when I was trying the kids in it about a month ago. I was pleasantly surprised :). If it tethered RF, I'd think even *more* highly of it :D.

all together ooky

I'm not a fan. Hate the knobs and the straps kept twisting in the buckle when I tried it. But, I do recommend it for those people that need a less expensive seat. And I do like that it's deeper.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
We like it! It's DS's carseat in IL's car but DD was just rear facing in it a few minutes ago :) Nice infinite adjust, when you are switching kids. It's good for grandma's car (knobs are easiser for them) but I won't be buying another for our car (mostly) because it's an Evenflo seat and with that recent article, I would feel better with a different manufacturer.

opheliajoy

but I won't be buying another for our car (mostly) because it's an Evenflo seat and with that recent article, I would feel better with a different manufacturer.

Could you direct me to whatever article you're referring to? What's wrong with Evenflo, other than mediocre customer service? I'm not so concerned with the customer service (CS) issues, because I've heard many people have similar problems with Britax CS.

Thanks.

MomToEliEm

Could you direct me to whatever article you're referring to? What's wrong with Evenflo, other than mediocre customer service? I'm not so concerned with the customer service (CS) issues, because I've heard many people have similar problems with Britax CS.

She might be referring to this article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-carseats-special,1,3472639.story?page=1
The article criticizes both Dorel and Evenflo for their handling of safety issues with their seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC