tongue vs tong

tjham

Radian and tongue vs tong

I emailed Sunshine Kids about getting the new Radian buckle tongues that fit the straps better to prevent fraying, including my name, home address and email address. I got an email back, saying they would send them to me as soon as I sent them my address :)confused:) and she called them "tongs" several times, as if to let me know I had spelled it wrong.

So I looked it up (ah, don't ya just love Google?!?) And it IS "tongue". :p It's even in the manual on page 30.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2001060191

But I won't mention it to her until AFTER I get my new buckle TONGUES! ;)

Last edited:
ADS

canadianmom2three

Funny, now that you mention it, when I emailed Russ, I called them tongues, and he in his reply called them tongs. When they came in the mail, the exterior of the packaging also had them labelled as tongs...must be a SK thing;) either way you call it, the new ones are a 100% improvement over the old ones!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Weird.

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: tong
Pronunciation: \ˈtäŋ, ˈtȯŋ\
Function: noun
Etymology: Chinese (Guangdong) tòhng, literally, hall
Date: 1883
: a secret society or fraternal organization especially of Chinese in the United States formerly notorious for gang warfare

I doubt that's what they mean! An organization for gang warfare? Hmmm... I don't think so!

Main Entry: tong
Function: verb
Etymology: tongs
Date: 1868
transitive verb
: to take, gather, hold, or handle with tongs <tong oysters>
intransitive verb
: to use tongs especially in taking or gathering something

Again... I don't think so!

Main Entry: tongue
Pronunciation: \ˈtəŋ\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English tunge, from Old English; akin to Old High German zunga tongue, Latin lingua
Date: before 12th century
1 a: a fleshy movable muscular process of the floor of the mouths of most vertebrates that bears sensory end organs and small glands and functions especially in taking and swallowing food and in humans as a speech organ b: a part of various invertebrate animals that is analogous to the tongue
2: the flesh of a tongue (as of the ox or sheep) used as food
3: the power of communication through speech
4 a: language; especially : a spoken language b: manner or quality of utterance with respect to tone or sound, the sense of what is expressed, or the intention of the speaker <she has a clever tongue> <a sharp tongue> c: ecstatic usually unintelligible utterance usually accompanying religious excitation —usually used in plural d: the cry of or as if of a hound pursuing or in sight of game —used especially in the phrase to give tongue
5: a tapering flame <tongues of fire>
6: a long narrow strip of land projecting into a body of water
7: something resembling an animal's tongue in being elongated and fastened at one end only: as a: a movable pin in a buckle b: a metal ball suspended inside a bell so as to strike against the sides as the bell is swung c: the pole of a vehicle d: the flap under the lacing or buckles of a shoe at the throat of the vamp
8 a: the rib on one edge of a board that fits into a corresponding groove in an edge of another board to make a flush joint

THAT'S THE ONE! :p It is a TONGUE!

keri1292

My mom has a friend who uses the wrong words all the time. Once she insisted that my mom see her new thongs. My mom was like, "uh, no thanks!". But she insisted. My mom figured, whatever. She took her in the kitchen, pulled out a Bed, Bath & Beyond bag and showed her some shiny new t-o-n-g-s!! :ROTFLMAO:
She has another friend who does this due to brain damage from a car accident. She calls her sneakers her cigarettes and has a whole new vocabulary we've learned. She's just fine otherwise and she has a good time poking fun at herself.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My mom has a friend who uses the wrong words all the time. Once she insisted that my mom see her new thongs. My mom was like, "uh, no thanks!". But she insisted. My mom figured, whatever. She took her in the kitchen, pulled out a Bed, Bath & Beyond bag and showed her some shiny new t-o-n-g-s!! :ROTFLMAO:

My grandmother used to do things like that. :)

It was endearing in an old woman, but it is not-so-endearing in an entire company. :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:ROTFLMAO:

Those dictionary entries are exactly what I'll send her after I get my package!

(Uh, though, is there a way to email anonymously :rolleyes:? I may need something else someday.)

LOL, yeah, send it to Russ, he's the one who started getting it wrong, and he's got such a glowing personality everyone there must think he's smart or right or something :rolleyes:

singingpond

Although I think 'tongue' has to be correct, I also believe in speaking the language of the natives, so, when I go to ask SK for a pair of the wider buckle tongues, because I'm getting sick of the folding-over straps, I will probably refer to them as 'tongs' out of courtesy, LOL.

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC