Recaro CSR on Como Headwings

arly1983

I was calling is response to this passage in the Como instructions on page 16

"We strongly suggest parents keep the headrest in position when the shoulder straps are in the lowest two slots. When the upper three slots are being used, the headrest is optional. The Como is no less safe without the headrest in the seat."

My DD was sweated down and screamed the whole 30 min ride with the headwings so I was trying to see if there was some way I could remove them but she was just even with the second from the bottom slots so I called and asked if I could.

This was the CSR's response was that yes, I could remove the headwings since she was already a year old. That the SIP was built into the seat and that the headwings were mainly support for young infants to make sure that their head were properly supported. Also, that I should watch and make sure that her head did not flop to much to the side when she was asleep...

What do you think?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
From everything i've read and seen pictures of the SIP is in the side of the seat so really it only makes sense that the insert would be used for smaller children since it is removable (just like the ones that comes with the snugride) so if she doesn't like them i'd take them out.

As far as her head flopping, will it rest against the side of the seat when she sleeps? If not then I would just use a blanket to help make her more comfortable.

LuvBug

I think its still going to be safer than other seats... since it has all the foam in the shell. It doesnt bother me that they make that statement. It just adds SIP, but if shes RFing, not right up against the door, and Ive heard it has really deep shell wings anyway... it wouldnt bother me.
For the infants in the first 2 slots it probably is to act as a head positioner, which may be why they recommend it so strongly. Same reason you would want to use a headrest in an infant seat.

This is just my opinion.

crunchierthanthou

I'd be okay with not using them. The blanket statement about them being required is likely similar to requiring rf at a 45 degree angle. Small infants need them and older children can still use them. It's just easier to say it needs to be there so that someone doesn't only read the optional part.

arly1983

I have installed the Como I have RFing with 2 rolled up towels to give it a little more recline and I just put in the hip bolster. We are supposed to make the same 30 min one way drive tonight so we shall see how she likes it this time.

ZephyrBlue

From what I understand, the SIP is in the seat itself, not in the head bolster things. I'd be okay not using them and probably won't w/my almost 2.5yo. I'm waiting on my cell phone to charge so I can call Recaro about the RF tether and RF maximum height. I couldnt find a toll free number on their website :confused:

Yoshi

This is interesting- and I want to ask everyone why then, will they not allow the removal of the headwing pad things on the Signo- and which thread actually proved that information was true? Both the Como and Signo look the same to me in that area.......Plus, all kids are going to hate them, me thinks;)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
This is interesting- and I want to ask everyone why then, will they not allow the removal of the headwing pad things on the Signo- and which thread actually proved that information was true? Both the Como and Signo look the same to me in that area.......Plus, all kids are going to hate them, me thinks;)

I'll have to look for the thread but if you compare the signo and como side by side the wings on teh signo are not as close together like on the como. The signo wings, to me, look more like the BV wings.

When you compare the two seats though they are not exactly the same, they are actually different. These pics are taken from another thread/post made by tumblebug518. It would appear that the Signo has wider head wings and the Camo's are narrower but can be removed.
compare.jpg

Here is a computer generated picture done by tumblebug awhile back when there was a big kerfuffle about the headwings after a poster here was able to get pics of her ds in the como and everyone was worried.
compare1.jpg

crunchierthanthou

From what I understand, the Signo is more like the rigid wings of the BV and part of the infinite harness adjuster. It's integrated into the seat. The Como headrest is just pillows/bolsters and slips over the harness.

Yoshi

Thanks for the explanations and the pics (love that word-kerfuffle ;)) They do look different- like the BV- but then that means I really DON'T want a Signo.:rolleyes: Insert grumpy curse word here.

arly1983

YOU MUST USE THE HEADREST IN THE BOTTOM TWO SLOTS!

I just talked to Paul (Product Manager, nice guy) and he talked to me for like 15 mins and to the took the time to explain why and offer suggestions to prevent overheating.

Why: It is to reduce the air gap inbetween the side of the shell and a small child's head so that in a side impact, the head does not accelerate before impacting the side of the shell.

Also, that the como was ONLY tested and approved for use with the bottom two slots WITH the headrest. It will NOT proform in s side impact as intended WITHOUT the headrest.

So no, Recaro will not recommend use of the como without the headrest in the bottom to slots. He said "no exceptions period"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC