thoughts on the malibu maxx? 3 across?

D&L's-mommy

so thanks you guys we passed on the death trap, I mean cavalier ;). We're going to be getting a car over the summer, so I"m starting to look around, and get an idea of what I like. We're definitely sticking with a car (as opposed to SUV or van) mostly for gas mileage, and I find I can get a *nicer* car than I can a van or SUV for what we're looking to spend, which is about $10k.
I'm really liking the malibu maxx, most I find in our price range are 2005-2006. We have an 04 malibu classic that we love, but I know the maxx is a little smaller.
What can you tell me about the safety of the maxx?
Like I said, I need 3 across, I'm thinking monterey (pass side) rf radian (center), nautilus (driver side). has anyone tried that?

Last edited:
ADS

nataliem257

I am not familiar with the maxx, but if it was me and I was looking for a safe family car in that price range I would be looking for an impala. They're not my favorite aesthetically, but they're very safe and quite reasonably priced, you can get one a couple of years old in your range. The back seat is very car seat friendly and should have plenty of room for 3 across.

nataliem257

I've gotten a frontier installed rock solid without any trouble, but I've never tried a dedicated booster so I can see where that could cause issues. Someone might have some direct experience with the Monterey and if it's compatible with the impala headrests. Another good 3 across car is the Taurus, but the backseat isn't as easy as the impala IMO. You also won't get as much car for your money as they tend to cost more.

D&L's-mommy

thanks for the replies. I'm trying to stay with a mid size car (I think impala and taurus are larger). I know that makes 3 across harder, but does it make it impossible? My dd will be just turning 5 when we're ready to buy, so I"m thinking she's only gonna be harnessed another year or so after we buy the car, then I"m looking at 2 boosters (probably 2 montereys, maybe a vivo and monterey?) and a convertible seat. I know boosters aren't fun to buckle in a 3 across. Maybe if we get a convertible on a base like a s4m/ms70 it will give more room to reach the buckles? I'd rather spend $400 on new seats and be able to get a nicer car than get an older car with more miles to save on seats.

nataliem257

Nothing is impossible! I got 3 across in a Honda civic once. Any midsize sedan is going to be doable if you're willing to buy new seats to make it work

D&L's-mommy

Nothing is impossible! I got 3 across in a Honda civic once. Any midsize sedan is going to be doable if you're willing to buy new seats to make it work

good to know.Only 1 of our current seats will be going into this "new" car so we have to buy new seats anyway, so it's not as big of a deal as if I already had a full set of seats that would need to magically fit into a smaller vehicle

Jessica61624

thanks for the replies. I'm trying to stay with a mid size car (I think impala and taurus are larger). I know that makes 3 across harder, but does it make it impossible? My dd will be just turning 5 when we're ready to buy, so I"m thinking she's only gonna be harnessed another year or so after we buy the car, then I"m looking at 2 boosters (probably 2 montereys, maybe a vivo and monterey?) and a convertible seat. I know boosters aren't fun to buckle in a 3 across. Maybe if we get a convertible on a base like a s4m/ms70 it will give more room to reach the buckles? I'd rather spend $400 on new seats and be able to get a nicer car than get an older car with more miles to save on seats.

The evenflo sureride would be a good convertible as the base I'd 10 inches. It gives some room to buckle. I'd probably just get turbo boosters for a spare car. I drove a Malibu maxx and didn't like it much. But everyone is different. In the back there is a weird 40/60 split with plastic on the sides. I don't like ford so I wouldn't recommend one. Also not a huge Chrysler fan buy the Sebring has a decent back seat. I love my sonata but 3 across is a huge pain!(see my thread from yesterday).

nataliem257

I love my mazda 5, but that's probably more car than you need if you're looking for a mid sized sedan. Plus I've heard that they're difficult to find used because people tend to keep them for a really long time

D&L's-mommy

I like the mazda 5, but DH is not a fan :rolleyes: we're definitely a chevy family, but open to other options. I like the maxx because the seats lay flat and have a split back, it gives me options if I need to get something bigger in the car. But I know the split can make it hard to install a seat
We have a set of spare turbos, a vivo that is getting replaced in the next week or so by a monterey, and a lbb, so any of these will be used in our current car since the kids will mostly be riding in the new car. DD is in a nautilus now, but I don't see that fitting well in a 3 across situation, so I may sell it. I don't know, we'll see, nothing wrong with having a few spare seats :D
I really like the sure ride, and the radian. I thought about maybe getting one of each, and see which of the girls (DD or DN) fits each seat best and take it from there, assuming a rf radian fits well with a ff sure ride or vice versa. but quite honestly, I just want to play with a radian and sure ride, lol. I think DH will have a cow if I buy a convertible for our 5year old,and most combination seats are wide. I may just have to order and return a few seats til I find what I like, can't really make any definite plans until we buy a car, I just want to make sure whatever car we buy will work for 3 across

daniele_ut

Someone on the Baby Bargains board used to drive a 2004 Maxx with a 3 across situation. I had a 2005 Malibu back then and thought I would need a 3 across someday and pm'd her to see what she was using and still have the PM

These are some combos she used:

(driver, middle, passenger):
FF Radian, Keyfit, FF Radian
FF Boulevard, FF Radian, Keyfit
Keyfit, FF Radian, RF BV

She didn't have luck with a Nautilus in a 3 across and neither did I when I tried in mine but I didn't have a Radian in the mix. I tried Nautilus, FF RA50, KeyFit30

vmmatula

I like the mazda 5, but DH is not a fan :rolleyes: we're definitely a chevy family, but open to other options. I like the maxx because the seats lay flat and have a split back, it gives me options if I need to get something bigger in the car. But I know the split can make it hard to install a seat...
...I just want to make sure whatever car we buy will work for 3 across

Just wondering if you ended up getting the Maxx and if you like it for seats so far. I was debating looking at one on CL...

D&L's-mommy

no, I didn't get it, it's nice, but I still can't decide what I want.
I'm thinking I really need something with 3 rows, we just got DS a monterey, DD's in a nautilus, and there's maybe 6-8" in between them in our malibu classic, there's no way I"m getting 3 seats in a sedan with those huge seats, but DH doesn't think I *need* to get 3 seats in even though I babysit 3-4 days a week :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC