Combo seats that can be tethered in booster mode?

mamakc

Are there any combo seats that can be tethered in booster mode? And would that eliminate the need to keep it buckled in when not in use?

Now that we are all settled into a comfortable arrangement, DD has decided she wants to ride harnessed again. Her reasoning is that she doesn't like having to buckle her booster in every time. Now that I have my tethers finally installed I actually can put her in a harnessed seat. But eventually she'll have to be boostered again. Since I don't have LATCH, can I tether a combo/booster in booster mode so it doesn't have to be buckled every time? If so, I might invest in a new combo seat for her.

ADS

jjordan

The Recaro Prosport can be tethered in booster mode. I'm thinking that it would still be a good idea to buckle it in when not in use, though. If you picture hanging your car off the side of a building ("nose" down), a top tether will still allow a lot of movement - whatever combo seat is going to be able to whack people within a pretty good radius of where the seat started out.

mamakc

I dont know anything about the pro sport. How tall is it compared to the radian? How's the installation with the seatbelt?

-Krista
DD~6~ Cybex Booster
DS~4~ FF Radian XTSL
DN~2.5~ RF MyRide

jjordan

The ProSport harness is comparable to the Nautilus, probably around 18", a little taller than a Radian. The seatbelt installation is easy-peasy thanks to an open belt path. Sometimes the shoulder part of a lap/shoulder belt ends up going across where the harness straps come out, depending on the height of the harness straps and the geometry of your car's seatbelts. If this is the case then you can unhook that strap from the splitter plate on the back of the seat, re-thread, and re-hook, although I almost think I've heard people on here say that Recaro said the apparent interference is not a problem... Don't quote me on that, though. It's not an issue in our car, so I haven't had to do anything about it.

We love our ProSport! I wouldn't recommend it for a heavy kid who will be harnessed past 52 pounds, though, because at that weight (when used with a harness), Recaro requires that the top tether be unhooked.

mamakc

DD is already 47-48 lbs. That stinks.

-Krista
DD~6~ Cybex Booster
DS~4~ FF Radian XTSL
DN~2.5~ RF MyRide

mamakc

Well, she's 6, how long do you think she'll want to be harnessed? 4-5 pounds can take a while for kids...

True.
I'll really have to talk myself into it. The truth is, I've always wanted matching seats lol. It's escaped me so far. Today I put the maestro in for DD and now I feel guilty because she is in a $60 seat next to her brother's $300 radian. Now I'm picturing two Misty Pro Sports side by side...

-Krista
DD~6~ Cybex Booster
DS~4~ FF Radian XTSL
DN~2.5~ RF MyRide

henrietta

As far as I know, Evenflo has now said that you can use LATCH w/their combo seats...retroactively, too. Someone here told me that just a few weeks ago, but I don't remember what post it was on. You can search for it. For a brief time, I think we were told you could w/the Nautilus, but I don't know if that's true now or not.

mamakc

What about the Frontier 85?

-Krista
DD~6~ Cybex Booster
DS~4~ FF Radian XTSL
DN~2.5~ RF MyRide

MommyShannon

I wouldn't feel safe with a combo seat just tethered especially if another person is on the back. They are normally a lot heavier too. My kids love their FR85s though and the FR90 looks great.

mamakc

I wouldn't feel safe with a combo seat just tethered especially if another person is on the back. They are normally a lot heavier too. My kids love their FR85s though and the FR90 looks great.

So my other option is harnessing forever lol. DD has a short torso the frontier would fit a looooong time.

Which frontier CAN be tethered past 65lb?

-Krista
DD~6~ Cybex Booster
DS~4~ FF Radian XTSL
DN~2.5~ RF MyRide

MommyShannon

The reg FR85 REQUIRES a top tether after 65lbs. That's when it can conflict if your vehicles tether limit is lower than that so technically its incompatible when your child is over 65lbs. The SICT doesn't require a top tether. No clue on the new ones. It never doesn't allow the top tether.

Do you drop her off places a lot? I rarely drive DD somewhere to drop off since she rides the bus to school. The rest of the time we are going together so no need to buckle her seat in. A lot of the time during the week I take her booster out anyway so her seat isn't in unless she is. I keep a NBB in the trunk then for "just in case".

mamakc

The reg FR85 REQUIRES a top tether after 65lbs. That's when it can conflict if your vehicles tether limit is lower than that so technically its incompatible when your child is over 65lbs. The SICT doesn't require a top tether. No clue on the new ones. It never doesn't allow the top tether.

Do you drop her off places a lot? I rarely drive DD somewhere to drop off since she rides the bus to school. The rest of the time we are going together so no need to buckle her seat in. A lot of the time during the week I take her booster out anyway so her seat isn't in unless she is. I keep a NBB in the trunk then for "just in case".

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot that's sort of the opposite problem as the ProSport. I do drop her off at school every day, and at dance class 2x a week. We are a one car family, though, so she has to make sure she buckles it every time we get home because she might not be going the next time someone takes the car.

Athena

Our combo seats can be latched when used as boosters, solving the buckling problem. And there are other dedicated boosters that can latch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC