Convertible seat with SIP for petite 2.5 yr old?

Mangosink

DD is petite in height and weight. I want the seat to be a good one for RF and FF, I want the option to RF, but she will be FF in it longer than RF, so want to make sure it's comfortable for both.

I have an 2005 Honda Odyssey and she will be on the passenger side outboard position.

I want easy to install, side impact protection, girly color, and cup holder would be nice but safety stuff first. ;)

Does the MR have SIP? I've considered a boulevard, MR (if it has SIP), Peg (but wanted the ARB straps that won't be on models until I'm guessing April? Lady at peg told me manufacturing starts Mar. 4th. in Italy.) Anything I'm missing? Which seat would you go with out of those 3?

Thanks!

ADS

MamaErin

There's not really any way to classify SIP since there are no standards for it, but yes, the MR claims to have it and I'm not sure if you saw those videos on the SIP testing that were floating around here but the MR seemed to do very well. The sides of it are so deep that it keeps the child's head completely within them. I have a MR for my son and love it, easy to install and everything.

I am not sure how the FF install would be in your particular vehicle though. There have been a few complaints that people have trouble with the FF install being too reclined but some of that is personal preference on the child's part. I haven't used mine FF yet since my son is only 15 months but I did try it that way in my car before buying and had no trouble and it wasn't too reclined to me.

I don't have any experience with the other seats you mentioned.

You could also look at the new Headwise 70 at target, it is supposed to have great SIP that is apparently tested at European standards or something since they actually have standards for that type of stuff and the US doesn't.

ETA: Oh, there is also a version of the MR with "safety surround" that is supposedly tested the same as the Headwise but there have been some complaints of the "surround" piece pushing the child's head forward.

RF is the best side impact protection you can give her until she reaches the maximums of the seats legally available.

As per FF/RF side impact protection, there really is no way to scale it. There aren't any standardized tests for that category, currently.

One of the ways you can insure your child will be well protected FF in any crash, in addition to proper use of well-fitting restraint, is ensuring that the child's bones (particularly their spine) are mature enough to handle the impact and forces that will act upon their bodies when facing the direction of motion of the vehicle. In most children, sufficient hardening of bones or "ossification" does not occur until around ages 4-6, thus RF offers the best form of protection up to this stage.

Things that could potentially increase SIP;

-use of top tether (FF)
-properly fitted harness
-proper install
-positioning child seat in the center position of rear seat
-Britax SICT "cushions"

Kel

I love the MR. My son is 2yrs and 9 months. He really loves it. He keeps toys in the cup holders, lol. Some people hate the FF recline. My 6 yr old DD tried it and she loved it and slept great in it.

Toys r us carries a pretty Dark purple, we have it and Its really soft.

I love the MR. My son is 2yrs and 9 months. He really loves it. He keeps toys in the cup holders, lol. Some people hate the FF recline. My 6 yr old DD tried it and she loved it and slept great in it.

Toys r us carries a pretty Dark purple, we have it and Its really soft.

Layla loves the recline, too! Those cup holders are awesome, aren't they? :love:

Syllieann

The boulevard is super easy to install both rf and ff. i currently have it ff in the spot you are planning to install in an 07. I like the separate latch connectors, which some studies have suggested may increase sip. The peg has them too though and the peg will probably get you a bit longer rf time. The peg and britax are both well padded and cushy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC