Tell me about the ProSport

Lenae

I'm thinking about a ProSport for Colton. I won't be using it in booster mode, so basically just harness mode for 1-2 years before boostering Colton full time in a dedicated booster. He has a fairly short torso, about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch left to go till he maxes out the harness in the MyRide.

ADS

jjordan

We love ours. The sides are very impressive, and both of my older kids think it is very comfy. The installation is super easy due to an open belt path. Down side to that is that some kids complain about the seatbelt poking them in the back (though my kids haven't complained) - but I think Recaro will send a piece of foam to solve that if you ask.

The only time I would hesitate is for a kid who is going to be harnessed past 52#, because Recaro requires that you discontinue top tether use at that time. It's not a problem for us since dd is nearly 7 years old and still well under 50 pounds.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
There are some things I like and somethings not so much. I'm not a fan of the seatbelt install, because of the open belt path. My son is pretty light so having to use the seatbelt with new LATCH rules won't be an issue. When I have had to do seatbelt my son hasn't complained he is uncomfortable so it is more likely me thinking it looks like it would be.

When we first got the seat he was just over the 2nd slot so we had to do the 3rd and like the GN it looked weird, with the belt guides by his head.

I love how deep it is, my son says it is "super duper uper shmuper comfortable" It has been an easy install anywhere I have put it

Lenae

I don't have lower anchors, but I do have top tethers. The stats in my siggy are accurate, I believe, so he's still got 12+ lbs to go before discontinuing use of the tether. I imagine I'll have him boostered full time by then. He's a fairly small, lightweight kid.

I am a little concerned about the seatbelt installation problem though, because like I said, I don't have lower anchors. I wish I could try it before buying it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I really like mine - but it has some quirks. Most notably, the tether must be removed at 52lb. Latch and lap-only belts are also only allowed to 52lb. IIRC, Colton is not terribly heavy, so that might be okay for you.

After that weight (or in a LATCH-less position, after latch limits exceeded, etc,) you must use a lap-shoulder belt. It is a serpentine belt path but it is different than the Frontier's serpentine belt path (which kind of snakes around the seat.) The belt path is literally across the front of the seat. I personally really like the install - it was great in my narrow, forward-of-bight buckle seating position, very secure install. However, some kids are bugged by the belt behind their back and some parents are bothered by potential belt/harness interference. My kiddos all loved the seat and never complained about comfort, and I felt okay with the belt routing, but ymmv.

I love the buckle/chest clip - my then-4yo charge could buckle, the 5yo I watched last year could buckle and tighten, and unbuckle if I loosened. But it's not overly easy to unbuckle. The harness tightens smoothly.

Top harness height is similar to Nautilus. Harness is no-rethread but needs to be uninstalled to adjust.

Hope that helps!

molly&elle

Does the seat push the child's head forward like the Argos or Evenflo 300/400?

It doesn't for us.

We love the ProSport, it's in Dh's car so dd only gets to ride in it 1x a week when he takes her to daycare. Install was easy :) I did it with a seatbelt in the minivan to play with, but we are using it with latch in the VW.
DD has had no complaints but then she is erf in my minivan! :rolleyes:

jeminijad

My daughter loved that seat for sleeping. Deep, deep side wings. I'm actually thinking of getting it back out and using it in booster mode for training, since I don't like how shallow the Nautilus sides are.

ETA: I see you have top tethers, but one thing I liked was that the shoulder portion of the belt rides high on the seat, more like fitting on a person, rather than all those seats that route the lap and should together down through the bottom rear. I imagine it to function in a vaguely top tether like function.

bnsnyde

We have two. One in harness mode and one in booster. They are in a Civic and I like them both. I always do seatbelt install because it's so easy with this seat!!!

The only thing is in booster mode (in our Civic anyway) it's not easy for my son to tighten the lap portion of the belt.

Harness mode, I love, love, love it. Favorite FF seat.

jess71903

Ambassador
I :love: my ProSport. I really like the seatbelt install, for the most part. It's really hard to get wrong. It is no-rethread, but unlike most of them, it isn't a separate piece of plastic over the top of the main shell, so it doesn't push the head forward at all. Gage finds it super comfy, and sleeps well on the wings. He can buckle and tighten himself, but not unbuckle. I wrote a review when I got it, and have updated it a couple of times.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=164788
There's this one, too
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=132810

Lenae

You are welcome to test drive mine for a couple weeks.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered though. Colton really wanted the green one, and I don't like the Frontier. I really hope I don't have any issues with the seatbelt install, because albeebaby.com doesn't have free returns, do they? Oh well. I think I'll like it.

Keeyamah

IIRC from my reading last night, you've got 30 days and I think you have to pay the shipping to have it returned.... could be wrong though. Haven't finished my coffee yet, lol.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've never tried it, but I'd say doubtful. Looking at measurements I think you'll be 3 - 4" short.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC