Would YOU turn her back round?

Boot

Anybody I know in real life would think I'm crazy for even contemplating it but I know you'll all understand.

I turned my 3 year old round a few months ago when she maxed out the weight for her seat. Now I have to replace it after a collision. I have bought an radian rxt so suddenly I have about 12# to play with. Would you turn her rear facing again? She's newly 3 and around 33# and 38" (total guess). Not sure if she'll rebel at being turned or not as she's all about being a big girl these days.

ADS

Brianna

I would. I've also been considering a Radian for J born 9/09 because I'm sick of him kicking my drivers seat. He outgrew his RF seats at 3.

Athena

If you want to and she's happy, I totally would. My DD stayed RFing until over 40" and loved it! I hated having to turn her FFing.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I probably would, especially if she has yet to ride in the new seat. I'd just put it in RF and not tell her that it can FF.
"look at your cool new seat! Now you can see out the back window and the side windows and see everything!"

If she doesn't know it can FF, she's none for the wiser ;)

MommyShannon

I probably would, especially if she has yet to ride in the new seat. I'd just put it in RF and not tell her that it can FF.
"look at your cool new seat! Now you can see out the back window and the side windows and see everything!"

If she doesn't know it can FF, she's none for the wiser ;)

This! DD2 (almost 3 years) is rf and never says a thing about ff despite having two older siblings ff. I think she likes her seats and just thinks her seats go rf. A 3.5 year old friend rode with us the other day though so I used our MA70 ff. DD2 is now starting to realize hers can go ff since she uses that seat too just rf.

Jeni-GAcpst

If you already bought the seat, I'd turn her :)

I did the same for my daughter. FFing at 2y8mo due to weight. RFing at 3y4mo in new radian (in my avatar photo). She's permanently FFing now due to height but she much preferred RFing.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
My 3 1/2 year old is re-rearfacing by choice. He's been FF for about one year. He loves it, refuses to even humor using his Nautilus anymore. I'd try it, and if she doesn't like it turn her back around without a second thought.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I, personally, would probably return the seat and buy a FR85 because it will last a long time. Since you had her FFing, you technically didn't need a convertible.

But hey, since you got a convertible, I'd try and re-RF her. I wouldn't sweat it though. A three year old with a probably installed seat is VERY safe.

agave

Have you asked her what she wants? At 3 years 3 months Emma tells me to turn her seat forward every time we get in the car. I've told her she can turn when her sister turns 5 in June.

Boot

Thanks everyone. ICBC requires that I buy and equivalent seat (I fudged it a bit and got a rxt on sale to replace a an old SKJP Radian65). I could possibly return it and use the money to get a Frontier but it's not really worth it for a slight built kid like mine. The rxt will easily get her to the age that I'm comfortable with a booster and I also have a Nautilus waiting in the wings.

I haven't asked her opinion but I'm sure I will get it anyway! I'm going to install it rear facing and if she's so taken with the purple that she doesn't complain I'll just leave it that way. If she makes a fuss I'll just ff her and think job well done.

My DH is going to freak out when he sees the seat backwards. He already thinks I'm totally over the top with those kind of safety things.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC