befuddled over rf height in installed headwise70 - PICS ADDED!!!!

laudymama

I am so confused. I got the headwise70 for grandma's car...in the store ds had a good 3+ inches of rf growing room which is why we bought it. Got it all installed with my big preggo belly and all -best seatbelt install I've ever gotten by the way!- and he barely has 1in above his head from the handle :confused: I know room can change with installation, but that much?! It's 1in from the bottom of red handle, even in the highest position, right? The manual only says 1in from red handle, doesn't specify on positions you can use but everyone here said all 8 positions can be used. I wanna say it is in the 5th position and looks like if I move it up one more the straps will be above his shoulders since they are pretty much just right at/tiny bit below now :(

See link for pics....they ended up in reverse order and it wouldn't let me rearrange them! Opinions?
http://s1115.beta.photobucket.com/user/McCordFamily/library/Headwise70

Last edited:
ADS

linneabw

Did you have it reclined in the store? You lose a surprising amount of headroom with a reclined angle. That said, make sure it is all the way up, I tried my tall don in it (installed) and he had robs of height left (but too heavy).

Brianna

Re: befuddled over rf height in installed headwise70

I am so confused. I got the headwise70 for grandma's car...in the store ds had a good 3+ inches of rf growing room which is why we bought it. Got it all installed with my big preggo belly and all -best seatbelt install I've ever gotten by the way!- and he barely has 1in above his head from the handle :confused: I know room can change with installation, but that much?! It's 1in from the bottom of red handle, even in the highest position, right? The manual only says 1in from red handle, doesn't specify on positions you can use but everyone here said all 8 positions can be used. I wanna say it is in the 5th position and looks like if I move it up one more the straps will be above his shoulders since they are pretty much just right at/tiny bit below now :(

So you're measuring how much room he has on the 5th position? That will keep increasing as you adjust the headrest higher. If you want to know how much total room he has, measure it with the headrest as tall as it goes.

laudymama

Did you have it reclined in the store? You lose a surprising amount of headroom with a reclined angle. That said, make sure it is all the way up, I tried my tall don in it (installed) and he had robs of height left (but too heavy).

Yes, it was reclined for rf in the store and in the same position (5th) I'm pretty sure. He had so much room above his head and I was really excited because he doesn't gain weight quickly and is only 33 lbs. If I put bit all the way up he would have toms of room, but the harness wouldn't be at the right height to rf :(

So you're measuring how much room he has on the 5th position? That will keep increasing as you adjust the headrest higher. If you want to know how much total room he has, measure it with the headrest as tall as it goes.

Yes, I measured from the 5th position because that is where the harness is at the right height for him to rf. Any higher and it will be above his shoulders. I know if I raise the headrest up all the way he will have plenty of room, but doesn't it mean that he can only be 1in from the red handle, regardless of the position? Or does it mean 1in from the red handle when its at its highest? That wouldnt make much sense to me, but then again my pregnancy brain doesn't exactly have me thinking clearly all the time either :)

Brianna

Yes, I measured from the 5th position because that is where the harness is at the right height for him to rf. Any higher and it will be above his shoulders. I know if I raise the headrest up all the way he will have plenty of room, but doesn't it mean that he can only be 1in from the red handle, regardless of the position? Or does it mean 1in from the red handle when its at its highest? That wouldnt make much sense to me, but then again my pregnancy brain doesn't exactly have me thinking clearly all the time either :)

I think I understand what you're saying now. Not all children have the same length of neck+head above their shoulders, so on the same headrest position some children will be closer to the red handle than others. Could you post a picture? And maybe a shot of the headrest up one position so we can see how close he is to using the next?

laudymama

I think I understand what you're saying now. Not all children have the same length of neck+head above their shoulders, so on the same headrest position some children will be closer to the red handle than others. Could you post a picture? And maybe a shot of the headrest up one position so we can see how close he is to using the next?

I should have taken a pic when he was in it. I took pics of the install, lol...I'll have him sit in it again before we leave and snap one to post when we get home.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

There's also a large range of acceptable install angle... If you haven't already, try to get it as upright as allowed by the indicator.

bbartlettnfld

As far as I know you can use the Headwise until your son is 1 inch away from the red handle in the 8th position . (I'm Canadian and we don't have this seat--I really hope we get it though)

I would try him with the head rest clicked up one, as long as the harness is still at or below his shoulders he should be good. Sounds like he's in an "in between" stage.

Hope this helps.

laudymama

There's also a large range of acceptable install angle... If you haven't already, try to get it as upright as allowed by the indicator.

It's about as upright as I can get it, I think. I could try again I suppose, it's just so hard installing right now with the belly in the way and it is in so solid it feels like the car was made with the carseat attached:p

As far as I know you can use the Headwise until your son is 1 inch away from the red handle in the 8th position . (I'm Canadian and we don't have this seat--I really hope we get it though)

I would try him with the head rest clicked up one, as long as the harness is still at or below his shoulders he should be good. Sounds like he's in an "in between" stage.

Hope this helps.

So you mean I can use it al all 8 positions....but regardless of which position he can only be 1in from the red handle? Sorry if I'm being confusing...I just want to make sure I understand correctly! My brain isn't functioning at full capacity these days:eek:

zoecoltsmama

So you mean I can use it al all 8 positions....but regardless of which position he can only be 1in from the red handle? Sorry if I'm being confusing...I just want to make sure I understand correctly! My brain isn't functioning at full capacity these days:eek:[/QUOTE]

yes, also I don't think his head can ever get closer than one inch in any of the positions because at that point his shoulders would hit the bottom of the head wings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC