WWYD with my lack of tethers

Phineasmama

Okay so as I said I got a SureRide for DD1 because she hasn't been sitting nicely in her booster and the shoulder belt slides off her shoulder because she's LEANING all the time. So the SureRide is great, installs perfectly, tons of growing room, except for one thing- the stupid crotch buckle. She usually gets one side buckled and then can't do the other side. So I have her in the 3rd row middle because that's where my 3rd tether is, but it's hard for me to climb back there every time to help her do the last buckle. I already have to open and close both of the sliding doors, and buckle DS and DD2. I have some chronic joint pain issues btw so it's not just an annoyance but a little more than that (in case anyone was wondering).

So WWYD? My preferred set up would be DD2 rear facing in the captains chair, and DD1 and DS both FFing on the middle and outboard passenger of the 3rd row bench. That way I can have one captains chair stowed and I only have to open ONE door, and climb in ONE time to help them all buckle.

Is it better to have the captains chair stowed on that passenger side if one of them is not tethered? I can put DS on the passenger side and use a seat with FFing lock offs too, he's in the ProRide right now but his Foonf is coming tomorrow so I would most likely use that. But I'm still a little paranoid. Tell me is it okay? Or should I just deal with it and keep them all tethered?

ADS

MommyShannon

What are your set up options? Can you slide one captain's seat over? Can you use the 3rd tether for the outboard position?

Phineasmama

I could try it...I just thought it might be hard to load/unload the baby if there is a FFing seat right next to her. She is 30 lbs and it's like picking up a rock :p

Phineasmama

What are your set up options? Can you slide one captain's seat over? Can you use the 3rd tether for the outboard position?

I have a 2010 Dodge grand caravan with stow n go, there are tether anchors in the captains chairs but they cannot slide over, they can only fold down flat into the bottom. The 3rd row is like a 40/60 split where the passenger side is a full seat, and then the middle/driver side is together with a weird middle seat belt and off center latch with one top tether anchor in the center.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I got the retrofit for for my 07 T&C. I had it put behind the outboard passenger seat in the third row. So my set up is two kids in that third row, one kid in passenger captains chair and the other captains chair stowed. Perfect set up.

Phineasmama

Yeah I have been looking at the tether kit and I think I'm going to get one now and get another one later just so I can do all kinds of different set ups if I need to :) It looks super easy to do!

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
It was super easy. You just need a torque wrench. My FIL put it in and it took about 10 mins. It was totally worth the $100 because it made my van so much more functional.

canadiangie

For anyone out there reading along, it seems that Chrysler put the halt on this retro-fit for vans made after 07. The key issue being Stow n' Go. If the van is 08 or newer it will have Stow n' Go (I think?) and adding an anchor to a 3rd row with Stow n' Go is a no per Chrysler.

I would love to know why... there must be a reason. It's been 5 years since the new body style hit the market so I'm sure they've done testing by now.

I know OP says she's fine with doing it anyway, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Phineasmama

Yeah I do think that's a little strange. Maybe it's something stupid like they thought that putting an extra strap on there would interfere with folding up the seat? Who knows.

Phineasmama

You ordered another foonf? Where is the twe?

Oh you caught me :p Phoebe LOVES the TWE so she is riding in it right now. Phineas got a Faux Hawk foonf because he's all about FFing now for some reason. Which is fine...since he's 4, but I didn't really want to use the TWE FFing.

NVMBR02

Oh you caught me :p Phoebe LOVES the TWE so she is riding in it right now. Phineas got a Faux Hawk foonf because he's all about FFing now for some reason. Which is fine...since he's 4, but I didn't really want to use the TWE FFing.

Would you mind posting a picture or two of your 4 year old FFing in the Foonf when you get it installed in the car? I have seen some pictures of kinds FFing in the house but none in the car. I am thinking about a Foonf for my 3.5 year old, but she will probably switch FFing within the next 12 months. Since she is small with a short torso she has plenty of room in her BLVD70 so I am trying to decide if I should just wait it out and loost at the stratofix and fronteir 90 when they come out or get the Foonf....

Phineasmama

Would you mind posting a picture or two of your 4 year old FFing in the Foonf when you get it installed in the car? I have seen some pictures of kinds FFing in the house but none in the car. I am thinking about a Foonf for my 3.5 year old, but she will probably switch FFing within the next 12 months. Since she is small with a short torso she has plenty of room in her BLVD70 so I am trying to decide if I should just wait it out and loost at the stratofix and fronteir 90 when they come out or get the Foonf....

Sure! I am going to install it tonight but it's freezing so I won't have him sit in it in the car until tomorrow morning. But I can definitely take pics. He is small for his age too and has TONS of room above his shoulders in it. Just watch this thread and I'll post them here.

daniele_ut

Phineasmama said:
Just ordered one today :) I will probably order another later. It was only $94 shipped though.

Where did you order the tether kit? I also have a 2010 Grand Caravan and have contemplated moving DD to the back row eventually but I will need the extra tether strap to do so. I hate calling our local dealer with odd requests. They are slightly clueless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC