Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Regent in '05 Honda Odyssey

Has anyone had luck installing a Regent with the new rules in the 2nd row captain's chair of a newer Honda Odyssey (we have an '05)? I've never used a Regent, so I'm not completely familiar with the long/short belt path and recline bar issues. We have been thinking of getting one for our DS. He is 6 years old, 45 in and 44 lbs. He is just about out of his Marathon by height. He sits well in his Parkway for occasional trips with DH and friends, but the wings annoy him, and he says he is more comfy in his Marathon. Plus, I think I'd like him harnessed a year or 2 longer. I know my younger DS will need the Regent earlier than this one, so I think it will be worth the investment. With a six year shelf life, that will keep younger DS in the Regent until he is 9 if needed.

Also, where is the best place to buy, knowing that we might have to return it if we can't get a good install?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Regent in '05 Honda Odyssey

I have not had luck using the SBP/recline bar (required for kids over 40 lbs.) in an 07 Odyssey.
    Ben (2/18/02), FF in Britax Parkway, Britax StarRiser/Comfy and Combi Strollee McKinley
    Julia (9/15/04), FF Graco Nautilus (harnessed)
    Elizabeth (4/27/08), RF Britax RA

CPST Instructor

I have one installed great (SPB and recline bar) in an 02 ODY. I don't know how different the 02 and 05 are.

Rachel, CPST-I
    Dd1 : 5/03 : 60 lbs : Monterey and Turbo
    Dd2 : 11/05 : 51 lbs : Regent and True Fit

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

We've been playing around a bit with my dd's Husky with the recline bar, just to check the fit in different vehicles. Being able to recline the vehicle seat makes a huge difference. In my Mazda 5 center row, I couldn't get an acceptable install until Gypsy reclined the vehicle seat. I cannot get an acceptable install in the rear row at all - because the seats don't recline. In Gypsy's Kia Sedona, same thing - the installation was unacceptable until she reclined the vehicle seat, installed the Husky, then pushed the vehicle seat back to upright, and then it was very tight.

So, the question is - do the seats in your van recline? If so, I think you can do it.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Carseat Crazy

My seats recline and it still doesn't work with the SBP. LBP is ok with the recline bar but not SPB. The buckle stock, even twisted down, is at the wrong angle (it hits the shell) to really tighten down the seat even with reclining the seatback and putting the seat back up.
    Ben (2/18/02), FF in Britax Parkway, Britax StarRiser/Comfy and Combi Strollee McKinley
    Julia (9/15/04), FF Graco Nautilus (harnessed)
    Elizabeth (4/27/08), RF Britax RA

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Yeah, that's the other problem we've been running into. The buckle stalks just get in the way sometimes!
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!