Moldy Keyfit 30! Now what?

elyrayday

Hi,

This weekend I was up at my mom's house where I have been storing our Keyfit 30 ever since our older one grew out of it. We are expecting in early August and were hoping to use that seat again. Unfortunately it was covered in mold (yuck!). It is a finished basement and nothing else has ever gotten moldy there, so bad luck for us on this one.

Now I am trying to decide what to do. Our original plan was to use our recently-purchased City Mini Double, without the low-rate adapter, whenever possible. We were also planning on holding onto our Chicco Cortina single stroller in case we wanted to use it as a travel system from time to time with the Keyfit (sleeping baby etc).

I really don't know how to approach this now! I loved the Keyfit (never knew any other infant seat) and was thinking that I should replace it since we still have the Cortina stroller that goes with it and two bases. However, the Keyfit 30 is pricey and our older grew out it by height around 9 months. So is that a smart choice? I never looked into snap and go's...but would it make more sense to go cheaper on the car seat and buy a snap and go? Or something else I have not thought of? I would love to hear from you experts out there!

Thanks!!

ADS

sparkle3116

elyrayday said:
Hi,

This weekend I was up at my mom's house where I have been storing our Keyfit 30 ever since our older one grew out of it. We are expecting in early August and were hoping to use that seat again. Unfortunately it was covered in mold (yuck!). It is a finished basement and nothing else has ever gotten moldy there, so bad luck for us on this one.

Now I am trying to decide what to do. Our original plan was to use our recently-purchased City Mini Double, without the low-rate adapter, whenever possible. We were also planning on holding onto our Chicco Cortina single stroller in case we wanted to use it as a travel system from time to time with the Keyfit (sleeping baby etc).

I really don't know how to approach this now! I loved the Keyfit (never knew any other infant seat) and was thinking that I should replace it since we still have the Cortina stroller that goes with it and two bases. However, the Keyfit 30 is pricey and our older grew out it by height around 9 months. So is that a smart choice? I never looked into snap and go's...but would it make more sense to go cheaper on the car seat and buy a snap and go? Or something else I have not thought of? I would love to hear from you experts out there!

Thanks!!

Maybe try calling Chico. I imagine you can get a replacement cover and straps. They might even send the straps at no charge.

The key fit is really a great infant seat, though, and if you liked it for your first, I'm not sure you'll be as happy with a less expensive seat.

arly1983

For sure give Chico a call. It may be cheaper all the way around to replace the straps and cover especially if you can find a used cover set. The mold shouldn't be on the plastic and it should be fine after being wiped off and aired just to be sure.

I, too, am afraid you would not be happy with a cheaper seat after liking a keyfit.

elyrayday

Thanks for your responses. I called Chicco just now and to replace all the soft parts would be $90. That is more than I expected...especially since I would actually have to clean this disgusting mess (it's reaaaaallly moldy) instead of tossing it in the trash. Aren't there some big sales on Keyfit seats sometimes that are not much higher than that? I thought I remembered maybe seeing sales around $110 or $120. Or am I making that up?

sparkle3116

Aren't there some big sales on Keyfit seats sometimes that are not much higher than that? I thought I remembered maybe seeing sales around $110 or $120. Or am I making that up?

It's quite possible, especially if you're not picky about color, although I don't know of any sales ATM. I saw one on NBD earlier this week for around $120 and I think I paid around $100 for mine (new, open box) on ebay. I know of people getting them for even less on clearance at Target.

It may depend on how much time and energy you want to spend shopping around, as well as how soon you need it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC