Evenflo SureRide - No RF height limit.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
Updated- Disregard the info in this post. Evenflo still uses the 40jnch standing height. FB info was incorrect. Thanks!

I Facebooked Evenflo today and they said that I could continue to use the SureRide until the one inch rule, disregarding the 40inch RF limit. Just FYI!

Last edited:
ADS

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
Apparently it changed after floor models, so I'm you'd floor models say it differently. I'm loving this seat as a budget friendly option to ERF and A TALL seat for FF!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The only harness slot issue I see (in the US) is the HUGE space between the 3rd and 4th set of slots. I am not sure how well the seat will actually work with a child who's about an inch short of the 4th pair of slots; too short to move up, but with the harness that far below the shoulders it may get uncomfortable or make it too easy for the child to squirm out of the harness. I guess some time and real-world experience will see.

Now hopefully they'll fix the harness-length issue so a 63 lb kid will actually be able to get strapped into it, and we will have hit budget-seat utopia. LOL.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
I fall into both those scenarios. My 3yo has about an inch to inch and half before he's ready for the 4th slots, and my five year old is 62 lbs and has about eight inches to tail left in the harness. So far no problems! :)

tiggercat

What issue? There are four RF slots. The three lowest, and the lowest if the "FF" slots can also be used RF.

The manual.

Appears its different for Canada.

Really weird about the different slot height allowances between Canada and the US.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Really weird about the different slot height allowances between Canada and the US.

Not all that weird, IMO. Canada has different regulations about which dummies it needs to pass with based on what fits... hence we get a 40 lb RF limit on a Foonf in Canada and a 36" height limit for RF on Dorel seats in Canada. It's probably some obscure testing regulation which makes it so the dummy that fits the 4th slots is also over the 40 lb weight limit and therefore doesn't pass or something like that.

tiggercat

Not all that weird, IMO. Canada has different regulations about which dummies it needs to pass with based on what fits... hence we get a 40 lb RF limit on a Foonf in Canada and a 36" height limit for RF on Dorel seats in Canada. It's probably some obscure testing regulation which makes it so the dummy that fits the 4th slots is also over the 40 lb weight limit and therefore doesn't pass or something like that.

I understand the reasons for the Foonf weight/height limit, but I was unaware that slot height had anything to do with dummy selection. My understanding was that height and weight limits affect which dummy the seat needs to be tested to. Now if they list a 37in RF limit in Canada (and stuck to it) then perhaps it is a fitment issue.

NannyMom

I understand the reasons for the Foonf weight/height limit, but I was unaware that slot height had anything to do with dummy selection. My understanding was that height and weight limits affect which dummy the seat needs to be tested to. Now if they list a 37in RF limit in Canada (and stuck to it) then perhaps it is a fitment issue.

I was told by the engineers that they would only test those 4th slots for RF if the 3 year old dummy could use them. So it sounds like dummy selection does effect slot selection.

tiggercat

I was told by the engineers that they would only test those 4th slots for RF if the 3 year old dummy could use them. So it sounds like dummy selection does effect slot selection.

So an American 3yo can use them, but a Canadian one can't? Hm.

tiggercat

I am sorry if I sound cranky about the CDN/US differences, and I do understand the differences in the standards. I am just frustrated that there are few options for rearfacing kids >36/37 inches up here. I'd love to see an affordable option for parents here too.

jeminijad

Well... if it is known that the difference is not a performance/injury measurement issue, but rather a "we aren't going to even test it because of XYZ," causing a parent to turn their kid much earlier in Canada than with the same seat in the USA, that starts to feel like straining at the gnat and gulping down the camel.

Rear facing is safer, period, right? The market for people considering seats to rear face their tall kids, in Canada, is probably a footnote for manufacturers who are selling the majority of their seats in the US. But the testing does happen in the US, and physics don't change when you cross the border... just musing.

Jessica61624

Ive been thinking about this more. I just don't trust someone on facebook stating to disregard the 40 in limit. Remember when Dorel reps were saying that. And it was ok to install more upright? Then they came out and sais both must be followed. I need something more offical before I would be ok ignoring the standing height.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
I am sorry if I sound cranky about the CDN/US differences, and I do understand the differences in the standards. I am just frustrated that there are few options for rearfacing kids >36/37 inches up here. I'd love to see an affordable option for parents here too.

The official per manual for both is 40 inches.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC