Vent: Frustrated with the lack of options

Athena

I am so frustrated with our lack of good booster options and no one IRL understands. Between my vehicle's weird shoulder belt that doesn't retract with most belt guides and not being able to use boosters that require vehicle head rest support, I've found one option, the Oobr. The Oobr sounds good on paper and has great marketing, but it looks so shallow on her and I'm feeling really uncomfortable about it (for both comfort and protection). I really hope I'll do okay reselling it when something better comes along.

I'm totally second guessing whether I should have just gotten another Frontier (I think she still has about an inch left) or should have waited longer to hand down her Frontier (DD2 still had a little room in the nautilus, but once we're getting into fractions, I like to prepare for the next step). If I'd known new seats were coming out, I probably would have waited longer to do anything, but nautis are sold and now I can't wait without big inconveniences (e.g. frequently reinstalling Frontier in different vehicles).

Where I live Britax sell well, so do you think the Oobr will resell well if I hate it and buy a Frontier 90 in a few months? Will I learn to like the Oobr once we start using it? There are things I like, like the rigid latch, but then I see her in it and cringe.

ADS

christineka

I feel your pain. The only booster that works well in my van expires before the end of the year and I cannot buy another! I'm holding out hope for new, amazing seats! Or, I'll thank my lucky stars that I have super short torsoed kids that can ride in frontiers till nearly time to 5 step. If I have to, we can go from frontier harnessed to backless booster.

Athena

So jealous of the short torso! With just an inch left, I still considered getting another Frontier. This will be her first time in a booster. :( But now I'm worried the Frontiers I have will devalue a lot with the new 90 and I'm already thinking I might want to sell some to trade up to that. If only I were rich because in real life, I have to make the finances for these things work and if seats don't resell well enough, then it won't happen. I'd really like to see a new dedicated Britax booster with their new safecell technology, latch, the Frontier's belt guides, and booster height of the Frontiers and hopefully keeping the MSRP around $200 (or less) for this dedicated booster. If that happens, I'll definitely sell the Oobr for it. (Open to other companies coming out with something great too of course.)

Athena

One frustration is that instead of spending extra on car seats, I'd rather spend that money on a new car seat friendlier vehicle! But a couple hundred isn't going to get me a new car anyway.

Phineasmama

Your kid has 1" left in the Frontier harness?? I would probably just use that until she maxes it out and then if there aren't any other high backs that work by that time and you haven't gotten a new car or anything, go straight to a LBB.

Athena

Your kid has 1" left in the Frontier harness?? I would probably just use that until she maxes it out and then if there aren't any other high backs that work by that time and you haven't gotten a new car or anything, go straight to a LBB.

Just handed it down to DD2. (who was running low on room in nauti)

Athena

However, I did seriously consider buying another Frontier 85 for that inch of harness because I think there's a decent chance it will make a good booster. Kinda wishing I'd done that when they were under $210. But now I want a Frontier 90, assuming they actually come out soon and are as good as they sound. However, if the new seats really weigh close to 30 pounds, I might have to pass and hope they have even better Frontier 85 prices at that time.

P.S. Do 6.5 year olds still grow at a rate of about an inch of torso per year?

Athena

My DD didn't grow that much in torso from 6.5-7.5, but all kids are different. She seems to be growing more in the legs than the torso.

Thanks! I'm hoping my DD doesn't grow much in her torso for a while. When I look at boosters and realize the top slot is only an inch higher than the one that fits her well now, that worries me a lot!

christineka

Thanks! I'm hoping my DD doesn't grow much in her torso for a while. When I look at boosters and realize the top slot is only an inch higher than the one that fits her well now, that worries me a lot!

My son had about an inch when we got the frontier over a year ago. I think he has 1/2 an inch now. Then again, maybe he has a slow-growing torso.

momtotwogirls

hmmmm I thought they said they preferred vehicle head support but it was not required.....

You are correct.
This is from page 22 in the PB manual
NOTE: You many need to adjust or remove the vehicle’s head
restraint to allow the ProBOOSTER to fit properly against the
vehicle’s seat back. Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for
information on how to operate this feature.

Athena

My son had about an inch when we got the frontier over a year ago. I think he has 1/2 an inch now. Then again, maybe he has a slow-growing torso.

So happy to hear this!

You are correct.
This is from page 22 in the PB manual
NOTE: You many need to adjust or remove the vehicle’s head
restraint to allow the ProBOOSTER to fit properly against the
vehicle’s seat back. Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for
information on how to operate this feature.

Good to know. I was sure I'd read they require it. Although I still probably wouldn't want their current boosters, given the vivo is even shallower than the Oobr and the Probooster would probably be tippy in our car. Plus, they lack cup holders and aren't all that tall. However, I was very curious aobut their new latchable booster coming soon until I realized I thought I couldn't use it. I'm hoping it has a decent depth and better height. Anyone remember when that one comes out? I ruled it out thinking I couldn't use it and apparently wuped my memory of the details. :D

Athena

The probooster is one of the tallest boosters there is. We love ours.

Don't get me wrong, they seem like really nice seats. And I just looked and I guess it isn't much shorter than the Oobr or Parkway, but I have tall kids and was really disappointed with how little growing room my 6yo DD has in the Oobr. From what I've read, the probooster would probably tip in our car, making this latchable booster a great one to consider. The only reason I ruled it out was thinking it would need vehicle head support, something that is not an option in our car.

If a booster would last at least two years, then it would still be an option because we could move DD to the Frontiers in booster mode and move DD2 to her booster. But I wasn't convinced the Oobr would last two years until seeing that her torso growth may slow more. I really hope that's the case. I'm tired of having to figure this out again and again and buy new seats so often.

momtotwogirls

What is her torso like?
Emma will be 6 in April and is on click 6 of the PB. There are 11 clicks. he torso is just shy of 18in. I figure it will last around 2-2.5yrs at that time I can move my youngest into the PB and my oldest into the frontier as a booster.

Athena

What is her torso like?
Emma will be 6 in April and is on click 6 of the PB. There are 11 clicks. he torso is just shy of 18in. I figure it will last around 2-2.5yrs at that time I can move my youngest into the PB and my oldest into the frontier as a booster.

My DD is a bit older, 50", and I think she still has a long torso. I'm so thankful torso growth slows down! She's on the top harness position in our Frontier 85s, having about an inch left in my car and less in car 2.

I'm finding for boosters to fit her, the belt guide must be a certain amount above her shoulder, reducing the growing room more. Is that normal? For example, she only had about an inch in the Oobr measuring from where it fits now to the top position. When I realized that, I was very disappointed.

I would be thrilled to have another option for our car, especially one that latches like the new version of the probooster. I like the look of the deep sides, but is the seat really only 12"? That's the other thing I really don't like about the Oobr. With her long legs, she looks like she's hanging out there, especially compared to the deep Frontiers we're used to. maybe the new booster will be deeper too. I can't wait until it comes out and we'll know all the answers. :)

glockchick

I'm hoping Britax comes out with new boosters soon too. I really want LATCH for in my civic but deeper side than the current PW. I'm trying to be good and not buy a Cruiserfix to try because I think the side bolsters in my car will interfere with the seat, but it's tempting. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC