Boostering too soon... links?

hedgefun

DN's parents started using a booster for her. She's is 4y10m and definitely not 30lbs yet. For a while she was 24lbs... I'm not sure of her exact weight right now, but it's definitely under 30. Being under 30lbs, there is no booster that she'd be in that would be used properly since she's under the weight minimum. I was wondering if there are any videos or links I could send her mom? I've seen Belle's gift and KDM, but I don't think the "message" in either of those would do it for them. Dad would rule out Belle's gift because the child was 3 and his DD is almost 5. I don't think KDM would do it for them either because IIRC the KDM site says the seatbelt came unlatched. I'm looking for something that goes over submarining and gives other information that little little ones can be ejected from the belt easily.

I've tried the search function and didn't really come up with much. Any links or information anyone could provide would be appreciated.

ADS

Brianna

I'll keep looking but I can't find any info yet for risks of boostering before minimum weight limits.

In the end, they are using their daughter as a crash test dummy- have you phrased it like that to them?

jjordan

I have heard people (here) quote some sort of study showing an increased risk of submarining for kids under 40#, but I don't have a link for you.

Just out of curiosity, is she super-skinny or short and skinny? My skinny-but-average-height 4.5 year old is around 35#, so <30# is really light for an almost 5!

hedgefun

I have heard people (here) quote some sort of study showing an increased risk of submarining for kids under 40#, but I don't have a link for you.

Just out of curiosity, is she super-skinny or short and skinny? My skinny-but-average-height 4.5 year old is around 35#, so <30# is really light for an almost 5!

Thanks, I'll see if I can google and find the study.

She's short & super skinny.

jacqui276

That is one really really tiny almost 5 year old!

I searched a bit and found all kinds of studies about submarining if moving out of boosters too soon, studies that talk about booster seats for kids 30+lbs, the risk of submarining and injuries if the belt is not positioned correctly, but so far nothing on putting a child who is under 30lbs in a booster seat. However, a good chunk of the research articles I found state that you should only use the child restraints/booster seats within the stated height and weight.

I have also found a lot of studies that state 4 as that magical age to move to a booster seat, which obviously won't help your cause. However, a lot of the studies do also specify that a child should stay in their harnessed seat until it is outgrown.

skylinphoto

Wow! Skinny girl! My dd turns 5 next month and is 30lbs and just about 42 inches tall.

I hope you find some good info.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Athena

Wow, she sounds like she's about the size of a 2 yo. That's gotta be hard. How about the fact that it's (probably) illegal? Some people care more about that. If she doesn't meet minimum weight, then that would go against proper use clauses and I think a lot of states have those, right? good luck!

hedgefun

Wow, she sounds like she's about the size of a 2 yo. That's gotta be hard. How about the fact that it's (probably) illegal? Some people care more about that. If she doesn't meet minimum weight, then that would go against proper use clauses and I think a lot of states have those, right? good luck!

DW's cousin's two year old is about the same height as DN and weighs more, so you're right. I checked the law and it's not illegal where they live (nothing about proper use), but I guess it wouldn't hurt to point out to them that it would be illegal in many states.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC