Como - 34" RF height limit??

niccig

I missed a lot of the talk with the Como. What's with a 34" RF height limit? My DS is nearly that tall, but only 28lbs. I want to keep him RF. So, is the 34" limit set in stone, or can it be used past that height limit if still 1" from top of shell?

Thanks.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I'm not sure. I was just checking it out today and the store employee asked me how tall ds was. He then went on to point out the 34" maximum on the sticker and discuss the possible leg injury risks with erf. :thumbsdown: The manual says to within 1" of the top of the shell, but also clearly states the 34" max. They must be planning for some stubby-legged kids because my 36" ds still had several inches to go. My parental decision would be to ignore the rf total height max and watch for head position in relation to the top of the shell.

I don't know if anyone has discussed it with Recaro directly, but I don't know how much that would help. It seems like everyone is getting the same cs rep and her answers aren't all that consistent or informative.

ZephyrBlue

I'm going to call Recaro tomorrow re: this exact issue. My DS is 32.5", but only 26lbs, so he's staying RF for a long time. I'm curious to see what they will say- but I will make a parental decision and keep him RF after he hits the 34" mark as long as his head is below the 1" mark. I'm guessing it'll be like Britax- the maximum FF height stated in the MA manual says 49", but if you call Britax, they say that the child's head being 1" below the top of the shell trumps the 49" rule.

niccig

Thanks for replying. Let me know what Recaro says. I'll probably make the same parental decision if we get the seat. I like the taller slots on the Recaros, but with all the confusion, I'm thinking of getting another BV. DS is so short, I know the BV will get us to 5 or 6 and then I can rethink other seats...mmm off to ponder what to do.

crunchierthanthou

I'm going to call Recaro tomorrow re: this exact issue. My DS is 32.5", but only 26lbs, so he's staying RF for a long time. I'm curious to see what they will say- but I will make a parental decision and keep him RF after he hits the 34" mark as long as his head is below the 1" mark. I'm guessing it'll be like Britax- the maximum FF height stated in the MA manual says 49", but if you call Britax, they say that the child's head being 1" below the top of the shell trumps the 49" rule.

If you do call, please see if you can get a straight answer about the rf tether. :rolleyes:

ZephyrBlue

If you do call, please see if you can get a straight answer about the rf tether.

That's my plan. And if Gayle answers the phone, I'm going to hang up and call back :whistle:

Seriously, I may ask to speak with an engineer; Gayle was the one who responded to my email and assured me that the RF tether was going to be an included feature on both the Signo and Como, so I feel that I'll have a legitimate reason to ask to speak w/someone else if her answer is different than her email was. :twocents:

southpawboston

That's my plan. And if Gayle answers the phone, I'm going to hang up and call back :whistle:

forget about gayle, just ask gayle to have an actual engineer call you back to answer your tecnical questions... that's what i did this past spring (i don't remember his name). he called me back and he was the one who told me it would be RF tetherable (and also only 16" wide :rolleyes:).

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Usually the height is just a guideline but I would like to know what their true stance is on it. If it is truly 34" my youngest was 34" at 20mths old and around 25lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC