Advice Needed on a Carseat for Plane and Car

Hi everyone,

I have been reading a number of threads regarding car seats on airplanes, and the different recommendations out there.

We are flying in April from NC to London, my wife is 5 months pregnant and we have a 2 and a half year old. (He is currently between 34 - 36lbs and is 3ft 2 inches tall)

We currently have two britax boulevard 70 car seats that we use daily.

I was originally going to purchase the CARES harness for the plane, and then rent a car and seat from Hertz when we got over to the UK.

Since reading some of the threads on here, l don't think CARES would be suitable for my son. And l don't trust the car rental companies on the car seat.

So l have decided to buy another car seat, the britax's are pretty large and pretty heavy for lugging around.

From what l have read it seems like the radian r120 is perfect for flying ff, especially as it folds up.

I've read mixed reports about it being an everyday car seat, which is what l will also use it for. My wife's grandparents require another car seat, so we would use it for this.

Whatever we buy, we need it to be great for safety as a daily usable seat, easy to fit on a plane and light to carry/transport.

With the second child on the way, we will most likely fly with it again when she is older.

What other seats would you recommend for use on the airplane as well as something you would feel more than comfortable using to keep your child safe in a car on a daily basis?

Thank you for your help.

ADS

creideamh

Is your child RF or FF?

Radians are great on the plane and great safety-wise, but they weigh about 30 pounds. They do have the option of backpack-type straps when folded, or you can strap into a luggage cart, but be aware they're that heavy! They can also be difficult for grandparents to install. If they're going to just leave the seat in all the time, no problem, but taking it in and out of the car all the time isn't ideal with a Radian. Also, Radians don't have built-in lockoffs, so if your car seatbelt in the UK doesn't lock, you'll need to use a locking clip to install (or ISOFIX/LATCH if the car happens to have it.)

Depending on if your child is RF or FF, there are a number of lightweight options available. Convertible (RF/FF) seats include the Scenera, SureRide, and Guide 65. The typically recommended combination seat (FF only to booster) is the Maestro. All are lightweight and work well on planes.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Thanks for the information, he's FF as we found he was pretty uncomfortable due to his height to RF any longer.

The car seat most likely won't be swapped out a lot.

Are there any other seats that can fold? That seems like a great feature when we travel.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There are some folding boosters, but your son is years away from using a booster.

Therefore, the Radians are the only folding seats on the market. There are three "versions" of the Radian, but they are all essentially the same basic seat/"frame."

I use a Radian daily and love it. I know you said you've heard mixed reviews about its use as a daily seat, but I love mine. In fact, it is one of my favorite seats I have ever owned (and I have owned A LOT (probably over 40 seats. :eek:). The Radian has a learning curve, but I really do like it. However, like every seat, it is best suited for some vehicles over others.

gigi

I would bring the Britax. In the UK the seatbelts do not lock and latch anchors are rare, so I would bring the Britax to use the lockoffs. The Radian is heavier and not necessarily more convenient to fold and unfold onboard the plane. Also, it is not always compatible with cars using a seatbelt install and locking clip.

If you want something light, I have found the Maestro a FABULOUS travel seat but you will have to practice using the locking clip to install it in the UK.

Thanks for the information everyone,

I am originally from the UK, but can't remember what the car seat belts are like, as l never had to put in a car seat when l lived over there.

I do trust the Britax for safety, but am unsure that it will fit on the plane, as it's a pretty wide seat.

It seems like the maestro may be a good idea, l noticed there was a safety recall on these? Are there issues with this seat any longer?

thanks

gigi

I go to the UK a few times a year. Belts do not lock, so you must use a locking clip if you using a seat without lockoffs. There are very very very few cars with top tethers (mostly only in US imports). And ISOFIX anchors are becoming more common in newer cars, but are not universal...none of my family members have them.

Britax easily fit on aircraft, everywhere except the bulkhead and sometimes even there. I have flown with mine many times. Transcontinental I would not expect an issue with seat fit.

The Maestro is very easy to travel with as long as you know how to use a locking clip. Also, the belt path is open and the airplane buckle ends up right in the kids back, my son appreciated when I put a diaper or washcloth behind him for padding.

creideamh

The Maestro had a recall when it first came out, but Evenflo has since fixed the problem and I have absolutely no qualms about using one. As long as you practice a few times with the locking clip, it's very easy to install and use.

Last edited:
If it helps, we are going to be on a 767-300, which has four seats in the middle of the plane.

We are going to be in the middle aisle, and wanted to have the seat in between my wife and l. (economy class)

We asked about bulkhead seats and were told these were reserved for older passengers or passengers with baby's.

If if they are available on the day of departure they may let us sit in those seats. (My wife and l are both over 6ft, and with the 'bump', she may appreciate the extra room).

creideamh

The bulkhead seats generally have unmovable armrests, which could interfere with installing car seats... so I'd probably skip those.

I believe they'll require you to have the seat in the middle, then you and your wife on the aisles for evacuation reasons. What airline are you flying?

Last edited:
We are flying with AA, it sounds like l may need to upgrade seats in that case.

I was hoping the bulkhead solution would work in giving my wife the extra space, since no one can recline in front of her.

Qarin

I'm most concerned about the Britax fitting next to the CCO

I believe they'll require you to have the 2 seats in the middle, then you and your wife on the aisles for evacuation reasons. What airline are you flying?

:confused: The OP appears to have one 2 year old; second child is not yet born, and won't be before this trip, and I don't know where the Coccoro got brought up?

creideamh

I thought maybe I was going crazy/had sudden onset inability to read or something!

I probably confused the OP pretty badly!! Sorry, OP!
You will be fine with fixed armrests in the bulkhead with a narrower seat (definitely Radian, probably Maestro), but you're pretty much guaranteed to need to raise the armrests to make a Britax fit.
The only reason I asked about the airline is because a lot of international ones won't allow you to use your car seat on board... Not the case with AA though, since it's American...obviously... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Thanks guys, l have to admit l was getting confused.

So it seems like it may be down to the maestro or the radian.

As l mentioned l would like to use it for the plane and in the car daily.

When we do get to London, l will have to carry it around on the underground, as we will be getting a train back to my family. (They are around 2 hrs from London).

I will rent a car when we we are over there still, so it should be a fairly new car, so l hope it will have the latch connectors.

I think l saw the securekid seat at toys r us to, it seemed pretty large and heavier compared to the maestro.

I need to measure them up to make sure they will fit width wise on the plane seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC