My turn to play with the Como

crunchierthanthou

They aren't great photos. I didn't have much time. Ds and I ran to USA Baby while dh had a lunch meeting. Plus, I'm no good at ignoring the employees standing impatiently behind me while I play with installs. Don't look too closely at the LATCH straps. :eek:

ds's stats:
33 mos
25 lbs
36"
unwilling model

incomo.jpg

headbolster.jpg

2001 Subaru Outback

como.jpg

comoff.jpg

My thoughts:
-The head wings weren't tight, but seemed like they might be bothersome (yes, I know they're optional).
-I liked the buckle pad. It was just large enough to be effective and I liked how it was attached to the seat- no taking the time to get it into position that way.
-I also like the shoulder pads that are long enough to be effective and slightly grippy to stay in place.
-It didn't take up any more room front to back that the MA, but the deep sides make a big difference.
-it was a tight squeeze for ds to climb in rf. I wouldn't want to do that every trip.
-I had to twist the buckle strap twice to get a good fit with the seatbelt, but that's probably more Subaru's fault.
-I don't like the ambiguous rf height limit. the stickers and manual clearly state 34", but the diagram only mentions the head within 1" of the top of the shell (which I think should be the one to follow).

Lastly, is this plastic piece on correctly (I'm guessing yes) and what are the slots on the bottom of it? just vents?

back.jpg

ADS

laurenrachey

For some reason, seeing it RF in your car, I'm getting SUPER excited! I have been patiently waiting on the Signo (FOREVER), but now that I'm nearing the the end of the wait, and I'm seeing the Como installed RF for the first time, I'm all giddy! lol It looks so deep! And with an older, - I'll go ahead and say it - crappy car, I'm really looking forward to getting this (*mutters under breath* and getting rid of the Dorel seat!!). My only concern remains the the head wings on the Signo. I just hope they angle out, kind of like the boulevard. But I really do think, I will get this instead if the Signos are too contraining. I hadn't really thought of getting this before, because I was so set on the Signo, but it is certainly something to think about! Thanks so much for the pictures!! Awesome! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!

PS that's hilarious about your unwilling model :)

all together ooky

When I saw it installed in your car RF my first thought was "that's going to be difficult to get the kid in and out." It probably wouldn't be as much of an issue in my van. But, I still love the deep sides.

southpawboston

the RF angle in your subie is about 39 degrees. if made more upright, there'd be even more front seat legroom. on the other hand, i could see it becoming hard to fit a child into the como RFing with those huge side wings if it were any more upright than in the pic. even as it is, it looks like it would be harder to get a kiddo in there through the door opening than with another seat like a marathon. did you try to get your DS in there with the seat installed?

crunchierthanthou

the RF angle in your subie is about 39 degrees. if made more upright, there'd be even more front seat legroom. on the other hand, i could see it becoming hard to fit a child into the como RFing with those huge side wings if it were any more upright than in the pic. even as it is, it looks like it would be harder to get a kiddo in there through the door opening than with another seat like a marathon. did you try to get your DS in there with the seat installed?

yeah, he climbed up. It was a tight fit through the door. He didn't stay long enough for a rf photo and no amount of bribing could get him back in. I think my mistake was letting him play in the front seat. That never happens and he wasn't about to give it up to pose for me. I really wanted to get a shot of the legroom to compare it to the MA. :(

Any installation difficulties I had were completely vehicle specific- the small door and long buckle stalks were my only installation complaints. :thumbsup:

crunchierthanthou

Wow, the Subie does not look car seat friendly. Thanks for the pics.

Yeah, Subarus are notoriously difficult for installing carseats. I wish we would have known that 6 years ago when we bought it. Although, it might not have changed our decision. We were still years away from kids and never thought we'd remain a 1 car family for so long.

mtnbaby

thank you so much for the real life photos!!! It really helps to put the seat into perspective (especially since I have a subaru too!)

broken4u05

do you think it could puzzle next to the MA or BV or do you think it is too big? I have not got a chance to see it yet and i want the singo

crunchierthanthou

do you think it could puzzle next to the MA or BV or do you think it is too big? I have not got a chance to see it yet and i want the singo

I didn't try them next to each other. I don't think even the best puzzling seats would fit side by side in my car. However, that's a MA on the passenger side. From the pictures, it looks like the deep sides of the Como shell would fit right over the top of the MA.

mtnbaby

for crunchierthanthou....
what is the maximum child height Como has listed in instructions?? I cannot seem to find it on their website or other dealer specs. And to top it off, I emailed the company and got two different answers which were quite different...50 inches from one person and 59 inches from another person!! grrrr

crunchierthanthou

Officially, 34" rf and 59" ff. Recaro seems to have removed the Signo and Como manuals from their website. I guess they were getting too many calls. Here is a saved copy of their height chart:

comoheightchart.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC