OMG, I hate the Defender

firemomof3

I just went and picked up a Harmony Defender and I can't even begin to tell you how horrible this seat is. The assembly was time consuming & I had to pull the cover out of the way to get the thing together...and I can't get it back on :mad: After the 3 separate nuts/bolts/washers were in place they are still not tight, just snug...maybe thats right but I don't see how its going to hold up in a crash :confused: And then I put my 2y/o petite daycare kiddo in it to see how it fit and the crotch strap is so short it was digging into her legs! She wears a size 3t pants and is skinny! This seat is a joke
:soapbox:

ADS

arly1983

I agree but I hated to say anything since I have only played with it at the store...It reminds me of the harnessed booster that was at target for a little while...what was it called? Only the defender is not quite that awkwardly designed.

Stelvis

I agree but I hated to say anything since I have only played with it at the store...It reminds me of the harnessed booster that was at target for a little while...what was it called? Only the defender is not quite that awkwardly designed.

The Baby Trend one? I forget what it was called.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, this is Harmony's first harnessed seat, so I could almost give them a pass, except, yeah, every other company has been doing this forever, you'd think the harness people would have some input....? Too bad it's such a bust :thumbsdown:

Phineasmama

I didn't find the assembly to be difficult AT ALL. I'm sure they have it like that so they can put it in a smaller box and it's cheaper to ship.

But I didn't like the short crotch strap either.

firemomof3

I'm very mechanically challenged so having to figure out to put those screws back in while squishing the seat together so that the stupid holes would line up...ya, not happening!

Athena

I'm of the opinion that no car seat should require assembly. People will screw it up.

:yeahthatmad: If manufacturers actually cared about the huge misuse rate, they'd make seats easier to use. At some point you have to acknowledge that when the numbers are that large, the problem is with the seats, not the users.

christineka

Well, this is Harmony's first harnessed seat, so I could almost give them a pass, except, yeah, every other company has been doing this forever, you'd think the harness people would have some input....? Too bad it's such a bust :thumbsdown:

This is not their first harnessed seat. They have one in Canada, called the V7, i think. I think I remember reading about install issues with that one.

Someone contacted Harmony about the crotch strap and was told it was purposely designed to be short for crash protection.

I'd guess that the seat would have a higher price point if it came assembled and Harmony aims to make budget-friendly seats.

amyd

This is not their first harnessed seat. They have one in Canada, called the V7, i think. I think I remember reading about install issues with that one.

Someone contacted Harmony about the crotch strap and was told it was purposely designed to be short for crash protection.

I'd guess that the seat would have a higher price point if it came assembled and Harmony aims to make budget-friendly seats.

Yep, the V7. Walmart exclusive. It's nice & narrow and lightweight (blow molded), but yes, install issues and assembly required. I have one, although I've never done more than played with it.

skylinphoto

I assembled one in the store and didnt find it too challenging.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

Maybe I've just assembled way too much Ikea furniture in my day, but I just thought it was a complete no brainer. Two screws with bolts? I mean come on...

I don't think you can compare it to the Turbo armrest screws either, because I don't think it's OBVIOUS that you need screws in a plastic armrest of a booster. This comes out of the box obviously needing the big huge screws with black round screw-on-y thingers and you have to put them on otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the seat.

Turbo with no screws just looks...like a turbo.

arly1983

I don't know. I thought it was impossible to miss that the nautilus headrest needed to actually go on the seat. We hear of headless nautilii pretty often. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
Buy the Sureride. Aside from not becoming a booster it's a fantastic seat for $100. 19.5 inch top slots. It's a great budget friendly seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC