Best convertible seat for petite child? FF in Odyssey

Mangosink

I need a convertible seat for my 25lb 2.5 yr old (petite in height) Who rides FF in the second row passenger side of my Honda Odyssey. She spends quite a bit of time in the car picking up/dropping off her siblings, so I want one that will be very comfy. Price under $250-275, but could do more if its worth it. She currently sits in a boulevard (expired last month - need something else fairly quick). Another boulevard? How about the graco my ride 65? What convertible seats come highly recommended for FF? Thank u!

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Would you consider putting your DD back in the rear-facing position. At 2.5 years old, she would still be much safer in the rear-facing position. If you want more information about why she would be safer rear-facing, we can provide links so you can learn more to make your decision.

If you are going to put her in the rear-facing position, then you definitely need a convertible car seat for her. Another Britax convertible like the Boulevard or Marathon would be good options. The Graco MyRide is another good option. The Complete Air or First Year True Fit are other convertible car seats that are highly recommended. Any of these seats would last a long time in the rear-facing and forward-facing position. There are many other seats that you could look at as well.

If you are not going to use the seat in the rear-facing position, then you probably should look at a forward-facing only seat. Something like the Evenflo Maestro or the Securekids would be good long term options. We often recommend the Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier as combination seats, but these seats are probably too big for your DD. The Frontier does have a 25lb minimum weight minimum and it's a lot more seat than you need for a petite child.

Melanie

Kel

My son is 2 yrs 9mos. He's is 50% for height. He has a My Ride 65 witch him and I both love. I hope to rf him in it until 4. I got it on sale at toys r us for 135. Would have been cheaper if I would have had a trade in. Not sure if the trade in event is still going on this week or not.

He also has a radian rxt. I love this seat as well. It has lower sides for easy loading. But, I still prefer the My Ride. I will be getting my 10 month old one when the time comes.

MamaErin

I agree the Frontier would be more seat than you need for a petite child but the Nautlius is actually great for petite kids. That would be my top choice if you do want to continue to FF.

And as a side note to PP, I believe the trade in ended the 10th.

socialworkmom

CPS Technician
My petite DD who will be 5 next week fits great in the nauti. She is very comfy in it. She is 34.5lbs just to give you an idea. I love that she will be in the harness for a long time. Her twin brother weighs 43lbs and is also in a nauti. No complaints :)

Mercuria

http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

If you're open to turning her back around, I know off the top of my head that the two convertibles I have (a Britax and a Diono Radian) have foam in the seat. The Peg Perego convertible is quite cushy as well, but often out of your posted price range (though a very nice, easy to use seat). Slightly out of your posted price range, you could look at the Maxi Cosi Pria, which I believe is also cushy.

If you'd like to keep her forward facing, though, I'd go with a combination seat that she fits in (the above suggestions). Combination seats can be used as boosters, and you won't be paying for a RF option that you won't use (if you don't want to use it, I mean).

MaKoski

I have my large 2.5 yr old and my newly 6yr old RF in Radian RXT and R120's and the 2 .5 yr old in a Graco MyRide65. With a petite child like my 6 yr old you could get to about 5yrs RF in a MyRide or about 6 in a Radian.... Most people arent as into Extended RF as I am... a Myride65 or 70 would be a nice comfy seat... that's what I brought my #2 home from the hospital in and that is what #3 will be comeing home in one in a few months. Easy to use and install.

maramarrie

I agree with everything from __twinmom. I would RF longer, and I've chosen to do so for my petite DD. In the Odyssey you can probably fit just about any seat RF, so size might not be an issue unless you're putting her in the center of the 2nd row.

My DD is exactly the same size/age as yours and I have her currently in a Roundabout 50 Classic. It's a great lower end seat without extra features (no lock offs, for example), but it's working for the time being. Her new seat is a Boulevard 70 G3, but her big brother is using it til the end of the month. I'm still able to RF him in her Blvd - he will be 4 years old on March 3, weighs 34.5 pounds (outgrew his "classic" Britax Marathon by weight) and is still just under the height limit on the Boulevard. He is not a large kid, but 50% for height and 40% for weight. If the seat has lasted him to age 4 rear facing, I'm certain DD can ride in it that long, probably longer. She's so petite she'll probably RF to age 6. I plan to RF to the limits of the seat, just like I have with DS.

We chose the new Boulevard for its compact size front-to-back. We were originally putting it behind the driver in our Pilot and needed the space for DH to fully reverse the driver seat. Now that we've upsized to the Odyssey it's not important, but I still like the quality of the Britax seat.

I hope you will consider turning your DD to RF longer, possibly to the limits of the seat you choose for her. There are a lot of options out there, so I hope you find the perfect one for you!

sarahlorrain

I have a three year old and he's in a Graco MyRide; we also have an Odyssey. He rear faced in it until he hit 29 pounds. No particular reason for 29; he was almost 3 and I thought it was probably ok to switch him to FF. So, he has been both RF and FF in this car seat.

MommyShannon

I would not get a new Britax to rearface a 2.5 year old unless she has a very short torso. The new ones are shorter than yours that just expired. I adore them from birth to about 2.5 but like something bigger as they get older. DD2 is turning 3 and 29lbs in a True Fit Premier in the same spot in an '06 Ody in my siggy. Its very roomy and has a 35lb rf limit. She loves her seat and is very comfy. She can even see movies by looking over her shoulder.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC