Newer model Explorer three across :)

macmomma

I know that some folks most likely will need three across in the newer models Explorers.
I have a 2011, second row bench- as Explorer owners know.... the middle seat in the second row is pretty much useless car seat wise.... until now:D

I bought a Britax Chaperone in Swap here AAAANNNDDD ... it puzzles perfect in the second row middle seat!!! The base fit perfectly between those two #%#$#@ hinges AAANNDDD it puzzles nicely with the FFing Blvd70 that I have installed next to it:D I do not have another BLVD70 to try out but I am fairly certain that it would fit outboard on the other side.

Just wanted to get this off my chest since I was VERY surprised to be able to find a seat that would fit there!!

ADS

cso1997

No way!! I never would have guessed. So you have both seats on the 60 part? I would love to do 3 across so I might have to find a Chaperone.

macmomma

I have the BLVD70 on the 40 part and the Chaperone in the middle BUUUT I could uninstall the BLVD and install it on the outer 60 part and check to make sure.
I will try that today and also will try to take some pics.... if you would like:eek:

monica-m

CPST Instructor
That's awesome! I got a 2013 a couple of weeks ago and our Radian fits RF in the middle row center seating position. I was afraid that nothing would fit there. I can fold down the 40 portion of the seat with the Radian installed for 3rd row access and a CCO fits next to the Radian on the other half of the 60 portion of the seat. I am really pleased so far with how well this vehicle plays with seats.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Question for OP and for monica-m: Does your 2nd row look like this?

Explorer review 146.JPG

Last edited:

careynj

Thats what mine looks like. Had a RFing radian centre, FFing radian with UAS behind the driver and a Frontier with LBP on the passenger side. Didn't use it, just playing around at a tech course.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I'm really curious about installing a RF Radian in the center of this vehicle. I'm currently working on my 2012 Explorer review and I didn't think it was possible to get the Radian rf in that spot. I don't have the vehicle anymore but I know I tried the Radian (rf & ff) in that center seating position and determined that it was a no-go. So now I'm really confused - and curious! Did I miss something?

Last edited:

careynj

It fit right in between the hinges, I was shocked. I used the angle adjuster, if that makes a difference. I can do it again this weekend and take some pictures.

Last edited:

macmomma

This is what my my middle looks like- I think it is the same, just without the armrest that comes down

Attachments

• image-2046678761.jpg
    image-2046678761.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 83

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
This is what my my middle looks like- I think it is the same, just without the armrest that comes down

That looks very similar. The only difference that I can see is that you have a belt stalk on the outboard seatbelt. The '12 model that I had for a week (Limited) had recessed seatbelt buckles in all 3 positions. And the belts overlapped so the only way to utilize all 3 seating positions at once was to use LATCH in the driver's side outboard position.

ETA: The model I had for review had the inflatable belts in the middle row outboard positions.

Explorer review 147.JPG

Explorer review 119.JPG

Explorer review 152.JPG

Explorer review 155.JPG

Last edited:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I've got the same overlap. But my driver's buckle is not recessed. It has webbing.

Interesting. What trim level is your Explorer? I wonder if it's just the Ltd models that have the recessed buckles (in all positions) due to the inflatable belts in the outboards? I also wonder if the belt stalk of webbing vs. recessed buckle makes a difference in certain situations. Regardless, I'd love to see your rf Radian installed. Thanks for offering to take pics!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I have pics of the install:
20130204_162337.jpg

20130204_162627.jpg

20130204_162403.jpg

ETA: I do not have inflatable seatbelts. Mine is an XLT. The seat is currently installed in this seating position. I can snap some more pictures tomorrow if needed.

Last edited:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Gah! I wish I still had the vehicle! I have multiple pics of the RadianXT installed in various positions in this vehicle (SSK version; pre-SL model but definitely has the current boot design) and I didn't find any seats, besides the BubbleBum, that would install in that seating position. RF or FF. I only tried about 10 different seats but I know I tried the RadianXT and decided it was a definite no-go.

Okay, I uploaded a video I took. It's unlisted so you can only view it if you have the link but here it is:

http://youtu.be/EY4n9zEm8U8

ETA: I'm losing years here! The model I had was a 2012 Explorer Limited. Not a 2013!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Weirdness.

The Radian RF boot fits nicely between the plastic in the middle of the current Highlander, too. It's not a great install, but acceptable.

canadiangie

I have pics of the install:
20130204_162337.jpg

20130204_162627.jpg

20130204_162403.jpg

ETA: I do not have inflatable seatbelts. Mine is an XLT. The seat is currently installed in this seating position. I can snap some more pictures tomorrow if needed.

Do you have any pics taken from the other side?

I can't figure out where the foot of the boot on the opposite side would be hitting in relation to the plastic hinge, and other stuff going on in that seating position. (Based on the first pic in Kecia's post, in post #12).

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I don't have any pictures from the other side and the seat is not in my possession right now because DS is off with Grandma. The car that Kecia had for review has a different bench from the one I have. I will get some more pictures since my car is car seat-less at present.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC