Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newer model Explorer three across :)

I know that some folks most likely will need three across in the newer models Explorers.
    I have a 2011, second row bench- as Explorer owners know.... the middle seat in the second row is pretty much useless car seat wise.... until now

I bought a Britax Chaperone in Swap here AAAANNNDDD ... it puzzles perfect in the second row middle seat!!! The base fit perfectly between those two #%#$#@ hinges AAANNDDD it puzzles nicely with the FFing Blvd70 that I have installed next to it I do not have another BLVD70 to try out but I am fairly certain that it would fit outboard on the other side.

Just wanted to get this off my chest since I was VERY surprised to be able to find a seat that would fit there!!
    Momma to three munchkins! Own a Recaro ProSport, FR85, TF, Blvd70, Scenera, Radian, Britax Chaperone, Evenflo HBB, Evenflo NBB ... cruising around in a 2011 Ford Explorer and 2011 F-150

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Newer model Explorer three across :)

That's excellent!

Senior Community Member

No way!! I never would have guessed. So you have both seats on the 60 part? I would love to do 3 across so I might have to find a Chaperone.

I have the BLVD70 on the 40 part and the Chaperone in the middle BUUUT I could uninstall the BLVD and install it on the outer 60 part and check to make sure.
    I will try that today and also will try to take some pics.... if you would like
    Momma to three munchkins! Own a Recaro ProSport, FR85, TF, Blvd70, Scenera, Radian, Britax Chaperone, Evenflo HBB, Evenflo NBB ... cruising around in a 2011 Ford Explorer and 2011 F-150

7. Thank You from:

That's awesome! I got a 2013 a couple of weeks ago and our Radian fits RF in the middle row center seating position. I was afraid that nothing would fit there. I can fold down the 40 portion of the seat with the Radian installed for 3rd row access and a CCO fits next to the Radian on the other half of the 60 portion of the seat. I am really pleased so far with how well this vehicle plays with seats.
    DS1 3.24.10 riding in a Frontier 85 with Mama and a Recaro ProSport with Daddy.
    DS2 1.18.14 rear facing in a Nuna Pipa

Question for OP and for monica-m: Does your 2nd row look like this?

Explorer review 146.JPG
    Last edited by Kecia; 02-15-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

Me & the kids at Dorel

Carseat Crazy

Thats what mine looks like. Had a RFing radian centre, FFing radian with UAS behind the driver and a Frontier with LBP on the passenger side. Didn't use it, just playing around at a tech course.

I'm really curious about installing a RF Radian in the center of this vehicle. I'm currently working on my 2012 Explorer review and I didn't think it was possible to get the Radian rf in that spot. I don't have the vehicle anymore but I know I tried the Radian (rf & ff) in that center seating position and determined that it was a no-go. So now I'm really confused - and curious! Did I miss something?
    Last edited by Kecia; 02-16-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: typo

Me & the kids at Dorel

Carseat Crazy

It fit right in between the hinges, I was shocked. I used the angle adjuster, if that makes a difference. I can do it again this weekend and take some pictures.
    Last edited by careynj; 02-15-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: To add

This is what my my middle looks like- I think it is the same, just without the armrest that comes down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by careynj View Post
    It fit right in between the hinges, I was shocked. I used the angle adjuster, if that makes a difference. I can do it again this weekend and take some pictures.
    That would be great - thanks!

Me & the kids at Dorel

Quote Originally Posted by macmomma View Post
    This is what my my middle looks like- I think it is the same, just without the armrest that comes down
    That looks very similar. The only difference that I can see is that you have a belt stalk on the outboard seatbelt. The '12 model that I had for a week (Limited) had recessed seatbelt buckles in all 3 positions. And the belts overlapped so the only way to utilize all 3 seating positions at once was to use LATCH in the driver's side outboard position.

ETA: The model I had for review had the inflatable belts in the middle row outboard positions.

Explorer review 147.JPG

Explorer review 119.JPG

Explorer review 152.JPG

Explorer review 155.JPG
    Last edited by Kecia; 02-16-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo

Me & the kids at Dorel

Carseat Crazy

I've got the same overlap. But my driver's buckle is not recessed. It has webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by careynj View Post
    I've got the same overlap. But my driver's buckle is not recessed. It has webbing.
    Interesting. What trim level is your Explorer? I wonder if it's just the Ltd models that have the recessed buckles (in all positions) due to the inflatable belts in the outboards? I also wonder if the belt stalk of webbing vs. recessed buckle makes a difference in certain situations. Regardless, I'd love to see your rf Radian installed. Thanks for offering to take pics!

Me & the kids at Dorel

Carseat Crazy

It's a 2013, limited, I'm fairly sure. We didn't get the inflatable seat belts.

I have pics of the install:

ETA: I do not have inflatable seatbelts. Mine is an XLT. The seat is currently installed in this seating position. I can snap some more pictures tomorrow if needed.
    Last edited by monica-m; 02-15-2013 at 11:29 PM.

20. Thank You from:

Gah! I wish I still had the vehicle! I have multiple pics of the RadianXT installed in various positions in this vehicle (SSK version; pre-SL model but definitely has the current boot design) and I didn't find any seats, besides the BubbleBum, that would install in that seating position. RF or FF. I only tried about 10 different seats but I know I tried the RadianXT and decided it was a definite no-go.

Okay, I uploaded a video I took. It's unlisted so you can only view it if you have the link but here it is:

http://youtu.be/EY4n9zEm8U8

ETA: I'm losing years here! The model I had was a 2012 Explorer Limited. Not a 2013!

Me & the kids at Dorel

Weirdness.

The Radian RF boot fits nicely between the plastic in the middle of the current Highlander, too. It's not a great install, but acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
    I have pics of the install:

ETA: I do not have inflatable seatbelts. Mine is an XLT. The seat is currently installed in this seating position. I can snap some more pictures tomorrow if needed.

Do you have any pics taken from the other side?

I can't figure out where the foot of the boot on the opposite side would be hitting in relation to the plastic hinge, and other stuff going on in that seating position. (Based on the first pic in Kecia's post, in post #12).

I don't have any pictures from the other side and the seat is not in my possession right now because DS is off with Grandma. The car that Kecia had for review has a different bench from the one I have. I will get some more pictures since my car is car seat-less at present.