Babytrend flex- talk her out of it?

linneabw

A friend is having her firmest baby and said she was thinking about the baby trend infant seat because of the stroller. I told her not that car seat (she was sort of asking for advice) but I didn't really have anything other than, 'I've never heard it recommended/talked about much. After a few searches I can see why. Then I saw she went and registered for it. Do I say something? Or let her find out for herself? I honestly doubt she would know to put the handle down in the car (probably wouldn't even if I told her about it).but I don't want to sound bossy!!

ADS

linneabw

A friend is having her firmest baby and said she was thinking about the baby trend infant seat because of the stroller. I told her not that car seat (she was sort of asking for advice) but I didn't really have anything other than, 'I've never heard it recommended/talked about much. After a few searches I can see why. Then I saw she went and registered for it. Do I say something? Or let her find out for herself? I honestly doubt she would know to put the handle down in the car (probably wouldn't even if I told her about it).but I don't want to sound bossy!!

Wow, FIRST baby. Though it might be firm.

agave

I had one, the puzzle buckle is annoying and putting the handle down all the time gets old. I loved the no rethread harness. It's easy to install with LATCH of course it was done wrong with my first since I was borrowing LATCH in the center.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Tell her to make sure she likes how the buckle works. I usually show people that and they run screaming. It's also a super small seat, the 30lb/30in limit seems like a vast exaggeration, it's so narrow kids get really squooshed in it by like 15lbs, 6 mos. In addition to the buckle, I don't have patience for putting handles down every time. So I usually couch my objections in terms of "Well, maybe you're more patient or clever than me, and it's safe when used properly, but honestly as a busy mom *I* don't like to deal with extra steps to get the baby buckled in safely"

agave

Oh that triangle handle was awkward and always made my carpel tunnel mad. I had the 22 lb version my chunky kid got squished in it my skinny kid didn't complain as much but she only used it about 4 1/2omths.

skylinphoto

I used that seat with my second..and I actually liked it! Yes, the puzzle buckle is tricky at first but I got used to it. And I kinda liked the triangle handle. Lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd point out the buckle, handle, and install issues (can be really hard with a belt but LATCH is super easy). But point out that it does have the up-front, no rethread harness, it's skinny, and some people love it. Give her both sides, pros & cons. If she can go play with it, that would be best and encourage her to play with others too. That way, she knows what she's in for before she buys or gets it.

abigaylebelle

I used that seat with my second..and I actually liked it! Yes, the puzzle buckle is tricky at first but I got used to it. And I kinda liked the triangle handle. Lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Same here. I also like how compact it is, but that is because I have a small car and small baby. It fills a niche I think.

canadiangie

I have seen many a vehicle where in order for the handle to clear the vehicle seat in front of it the vehicle seat needs to be moved forward. Once the handle is lowered the vehicle seat can be moved back. So in theory it doesn't force the seat to be kept further forward, but in practice it kind of does. A person could choose to lower the handle before docking the seat on the base and then sort of shimmy it onto the base...

OR they could just choose a seat that doesn't require the handle be lowered at all. :eek:

Add the potential install headaches, the angle indicator that is mostly a pain, the puzzle buckle, the narrowness through the shoulders, and I'm just not a fan, overall.

The only time I suggest FlexLoc is in super tight 3 across situations. The base is incredibly narrow in all the right places when it comes to puzzling and needing every last ounce of space. It's downright phenomenal when it comes to this, actually. I did a comparison between KF, SR35, and Peg bases, and FlexLoc blew me away.

But it's still a beast to work with, compared to many.

MotoMommaNH

Just to add one more point that may not be covered...as far as I know the FlexLoc does not have a very low harness height and the weight is only 5+. My SIL had purchased one (because the stroller it came with) and she ended up not being able to use it for her very unexpected premie! Total waste of money :(
(not to mention the horrible issues she had trying to install it)

She bought a Keyfit 30 and LOVES it. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC