Help...what seat is this??

Leila

And is it expired? I realize there's a TON of misuse on this seat (twisted straps, belly clip...boy might be over 40lbs), so I'm trying to find some reason to get this seat OFF this van and get a booster in its place. HELP!!

Sorry for the bad side shot. I know it's a Century, just not the model.

Last edited:
ADS

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Century Braverra. Could possibly be expired, depending on when it was made.. Looks like the last one made was in 2002(except for the Ascend which was 2003, but this isn't it). So, it's about to it's limit...

Leila

Thanks so much...the seat in the other thread certainly looks like the one G is in in my picture. I think I might ask the driver if I can check the DOM of one of the unused seats just to be sure they're not expired. She seemed very receptive to what I said earlier today, so I'll give it a shot.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That is definitely a Century Breverra, but I can't remember which one! :eek:

It isn't the Metro, Contour, or Ascend. Perhaps it is the Classic? I can't remember!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
That is definitely a Century Breverra, but I can't remember which one! :eek:

It isn't the Metro, Contour, or Ascend. Perhaps it is the Classic? I can't remember!

Yep, The Classic. The key is the T-sheild. Was made until 95-96ish ( I had one for dd1) Definately epired, but he may be withing the weight limit. It was 45#.

Kimberly

Leila

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much!! This van was filled with those seats. EEK!! I'm so glad now that I gave them my DS1's Compass for DS2 today. I'll be doing that again tomorrow and every day after until I see brand spankin' new seats in that van!!!!

safeinthecar

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much!! This van was filled with those seats. EEK!! I'm so glad now that I gave them my DS1's Compass for DS2 today. I'll be doing that again tomorrow and every day after until I see brand spankin' new seats in that van!!!!

Is there any way to have DS2 NOT in a car filled with 10+ yrs old seats that could fail and eject children into your DS?

Kimberly

Leila

Unfortunately, no. Debug leaves for school four hours after DH leaves for work and I don't drive. I could pull him from school altogether (it's special ed preschool), but I don't know that I want to go there yet.

safeinthecar

Unfortunately, no. Debug leaves for school four hours after DH leaves for work and I don't drive. I could pull him from school altogether (it's special ed preschool), but I don't know that I want to go there yet.

Maybe you can help the driver ( don't know who you have driving) find a resource tp get new seats?

Kimberly

Leila

I'd have to go through the bus company, and I know that the head of the SEB (special ed busing) already thinks I'm an insanely overprotective mommy (I am to some extent). I'm going to be making a few calls come morning to see what can be done about this situation.

jaded

Definitely call them, and if you have a local Safe Kids, refer them to that.

Also, call your child's teacher, explain your concerns about the carseats, and ask if money is a problem, if you can help set up a fundraiser for new seats. I'm going to be doing the same thing soon, 3 Cosco HBB's(at least newer, but not the best seats) and a Century Breverra used as a booster. And while my son doesn't currently ride the van, I do need him to come this April because I'm pregnant and due in April, and usually when I'm too close to my due date, it's near impossible to drive.

Also, is that a 15 passenger van? Make sure those are actually legal for the school district to use. In my state, they can't be used to transport kids in public schools any more.

Last edited:

Leila

I think it's a 12 passenger van. I'm trying to picture the set up in my head and I'm seeing the two front seats, two three seater rows and one four seater.

I know money would be an issue. Debug's teacher couldn't really do much about it though. (And I've already addressed my concerns with her) The bus company is a separate entity from the schools, they just have a contract with the schools.

I've put in a call to Safe Kids here, as well as another contact I have through the foundation where we rented D's Radian. Hopefully one or both of them will call me back tomorrow.

beeman

The school might have more power than you think. There would be something in their policy that the bus company can't do anything illegal, which expired seats would be. Keep fighting the bus company until you get somewhere. It may take a while, but they will eventually have to budge.

safeinthecar

If you can post where you are we can help you search out ammo, err info about what the laws in that area are.

Kimberly

Leila

I'm in Wisconsin. I know what the laws are regarding who needs to be in what seats when and for how long...after that, I've got no idea.

I spoke with my son's teacher again today, and she put me in touch with her contact in the transportation department for the school district. I spoke with him earlier and he does seem concerned by my claims. As requested, I sent in a letter of concern so that he can begin an investigation.

Debug will be getting rides in to school until this situation is sorted out. It's not the most convenient situation, but it's the best for our son.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC