Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Clarification on Locking Seatbelt

I feel like every question I ask here is so stupid, so here's another one to add to the mix!

I've never installed with a seatbelt (always used latch) so when installing a Triumph in my husband's car the other day, I wasn't sure how the seatbelt is supposed to be. What does a locking seatbelt mean?

When installing the car seat, I pulled the belt out as far as it could go, buckled it, then pulled it tight. The carseat is rock-solid, but if I tried to pull on the seatbelt itself from the top (the point where it comes out of the side of the car) it will give me slack. Is this okay? What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Clarification on Locking Seatbelt

What year, make and model is the car?
    Namegirl
    DD in Turbo
    DS in Turbo, Pioneer
    DS in Diono
    DD in Britax B-Safe

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Some seat belts lock where the belt ratchets in - those are the kind that you can lock by pulling them all the way out, and then they "switch" and you can't pull them out again until you release the belt all the way.

Other seat belts lock at the latchplate - also known as the "male" end of the buckle. With this kind, the shoulder portion of the belt will still move freely, but lap portion will be locked.

Your owner's manual should say which you've got, but an easy way to tell is to buckle the seat belt with no seat or person in it. Then grab the lap portion of the belt and pull slowly but firmly (don't jerk it). If it's got a locking latchplate, you won't be able to pull it very far at all. If it moves freely, pull the shoulder part out all the way, then let it slide back in a little bit. It should making a slight "clicking" noise, and once again, if you pull on the lap portion of the belt, it will "lock."

So, it sounds like you've got a locking latchplate!
    Last edited by Defrost; 09-04-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Defrost, GREAT explanation! Thank you so much!!