Help with minivan, please

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hoping someone, anyone can answer some of these questions :p
I see that the crash test results for the Odyssey are almost as good as the Sienna, but the Sienna is more expensive & the Odyssey has the benefit of lower longterm maintenance cost. I think I remember that the gas mileage is about the same, but how about the storage space behind the 3rd row seat ... is it deep-set? I couldn't tell from the gallery at the Honda site -- but it did look like the side wall had a net to hold stuff? I get paranoid about things flying from the back of my Blazer, but do items really stay in the back of a minivan better, especially if the floor is deeper? Also, what year did the lap/shoulder belts & headrests become standard as well as LATCH? Maybe I can find an Odyssey off lease & still get a good warrantee ... then I'd be able to buckle the dogs on the back bench with space for my daughter & her siblings along with all our stuff -- but, I'll definitely have to save for at least 6 months to a year or more, it's not something I'll be able to afford to do by winter.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've read some reviews & was able to view more of the pictures at the Honda site ... I think I made my choice. The way I figure it, I should be able to trade in my Blazer for an Odyssey in time for next winter -- when my daughter starts preschool. I think she'll be able to remain RF till then & at that time I'll put the Wizard in FF & when she graduates Kindergarten I'll switch her to a booster :) If she's like I was, she'll probably fit the booster till her Middle School graduation {LOL}

Can someone please reassure me that Traction Control really is OK in a very snow-filled area, though? & that the groceries etc. will stay put in the way back???

Here's hoping we hold out in the Blazer alright till 2006!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Traction control plus quality snow tires should be adequate in all but the worst areas that get minimal plowing. Even the best AWD systems will be mediocre in severe conditions with OEM all-season tires.

So, if you opt for better fuel economy and pass on AWD/4WD, spend the money you save on a good set of winter tires and you'll probably still come out ahead in both lower pollution and better traction.

Obviously, AWD plus snow tires would be the best, but it's probably only necessary if you live in a rural area with large snowfalls. For most urban areas with reasonable plowing, you'd be just fine with traction control and the OEM all-season M/S rated tires.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think the rear cargo area is pretty deep behind the third row...it's sort of like a bathtub. You can probably find pictures that Darren's posted of it on this site (under something like Oddysey tether, I think).
I stick all my little stuff in a rubbermaid roughneck tote...call it my "trunk trunk", lol...it's easy to take in and out of the car when I fold the third row up and down. (We have been bringing home a lot of BIG stuff lately, like a chest freezer, a 36 inch tv, stuff from Ikea...it all fits easily in there, we love it!)

mamamia

If you are still considering the Sienna...

I have been driving a 2004 Sienna for about 16 months. It gets about 24 mph driving around town. I don't drive it on the highway to know the highway mpg!

The rear cargo room is pretty large. I can actually fit two Graco double strollers back there and still have enogh room to probably put a third! One potential advantage to the Sienna that may be worth considering is that it is available with side curtain airbags in all three rows. That in itself may be worth the extra expense.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
CPSDarren said:
Obviously, AWD plus snow tires would be the best, but it's probably only necessary if you live in a rural area with large snowfalls. For most urban areas with reasonable plowing, you'd be just fine with traction control and the OEM all-season M/S rated tires.

*Whimper*
It's a lot of steep, rolling hills & flat windy farmland. But, I could just start our a whole lot earlier to drive on the highways through town, around & back up, I suppose. I don't know that there's any other solution -- if I kept my Blazer I'd be able to drive the back roads & save time, but we also wouldn't be as safe if we were in an accident ... now I'm thinking fo the Freestar with AWD? I've seen lots of older Windstars around here, many more Odysseys & soem Siennas -- any reason why I should choose an Odyssey over a Windstar if I have the money to be choosey? Well, heck , if I have the money to be super pickey I want the Sienna! ;) However, I think the Odyssey will end up being the one & I'll wait till it's good & wintery here so I can test drive it on the bad roads to know whether or not I'll fee confident....
Thanks for the feedback!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't think Freestar has AWD yet, though I had heard it may be an option in the future. The 2004+ Sienna has it as an option, as do the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town & Country through the 2004 model year but not in the 2005 models.

U

Unregistered

Sienna

I have a 2004 Sienna & LOVE it...you should also take into account that Toyotas are less expensive to insure & to fix....We have had both Hondas & TOyotas, but for the minivan it was Toyota all the way!!
Hondas don' have LATCH in the 3rd row seat...that was important to us because we have 3 kids...also I wanted side curtain airbags, vehicle skid & traction control.
The Sienna also comes in AWD

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the advice, etc.

I've decided that I'm going to rearrange my finances, expenses & stuff, so that by the time my daughter either enters or graduates Kindergarten I'll get a Sienna with AWD.... This means my truck will be all paid off, but it will be worth it to have another car payment with the improved safety & since I'll get an extended maintenance warrantee, too. The timing will be perfect for welcoming another child into my home as well [I'm getting certified to foster parent] & then I'll know that both my daughter & my future foster child as well as my daughter's older half siblings & our 2 dogs will all fit & be safe ... & I'll feel safe driving & we'll still be able to fit our emergency/entertainment/education items securely in the trunk area, along with groceries.

P.S. please excuse any typos in my posts -- I'm often using only hand, busy "multitasking" {LOL}

Last edited:
D

Dawn-4kids

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. We had a 2001 Odyssey and it did very well in snow. We where in upstate NY/Canada in January 2002 and it handled beautifully in the snow and ice.
We also drove it through a snow storm in DC area with a foot of snow and it did great. Traction control was a big help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC