I am making the brochure of all brochures! Question about boosters

laurenrachey

My question is, since my child is only two, I haven't even thought about this. What questions do you ask yourself for booster readiness? I know there is a 5 step test for going from a booster to a seatbelt. But I'm looking for points to list about going from a convertible or harnessed seat to a booster seat. ooh one more, I just thought of... how would you determine whether to use a backless booster or a belt positioning booster?

Here is a quick run down of the points I'm doing in this brochure, let me know if I'm leaving something out, and I'll try to cram that in too!

info, do's/don'ts etc on each stage of seat infant, convertible, and booster

FAQ about the 'best' seat, different types of harnesses (5, 3 and shield), what to do when kids unbuckle, buying used seats

number to call for an up-to-date recall list and to find a carseat check near you

helpful tips that just lists miscellaneous statements on things like not using aftermarket products, and thinking of each restraint stage is a demotion instead of a graduation

extended rearfacing and extended harnessing

absolute minimum state laws (I'm in NC)

Did I leave anything out?? I will post the brochure here when I'm done. If there is interest, I will be glad to edit the state laws part to reflect your different states. More on that later.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Safe Kids USA already has excellent brochure-sized but not trifold 1 layer card stock for each stage: RF, FF, booster, seatbelt ... I could email you my scanned version for referrence (PM me)

(from my website) said:
Is your child ready for a booster?
  • Does your child meet the weight, height and age requirements?
  • Can your child remain properly positioned for the entire length of every ride, never leaning out of the shoulder belt?
  • Will your child leave the seatbelt properly positioned flat across the collar bone and hips/thighs?
    • If you're not sure about your child's maturity abilities and/or your child still fits a harness, then keep him or her in the harness.
    • If your child has outgrown his or her current forward-facing harness, but is not mature enough to use a booster properly, there are various alternatives listed in the following websites.

laurenrachey

Yeah I've been looking on that website while making this brochure. But my aim is to have one all inclusive brochure though. I actually thought a lot of people here would be interested. :confused: That way you're not handing out five different things. For example, if I see someone out with an infant seat forward facing and a shield booster for a toddler, and they are clearly expired, I wouldn't be digging for three or four different pamphlets, I could just hand them one brochure. I figure they would have a better chance at reading over one, rather than flipping though four different things and just getting frustrated. I'll still post it here when I'm done, and hopefully a little more interest will be generated when people can see the finished product. Thanks for the booster readiness questions, I'll be including that, as well as the 5 step test for seatbelt readiness.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Most of the time, we want to limit how much info we're giving parents only to what they actually need to use -- it's just so confusing to have it all thrust upon them at once.... IME, they want only what is relative to their specific family's needs: if they have multiple children, they still want the info separate to keep their new knowledge straight :eek: If all stages are to be shown together, it seems to best when the info is as minimal as possible (urging parents to seek more information now that they have the basics) Real life interactions just aren't the same as what we find in this forum ;) However, I did get permission to scan the info from the Safe Kids card stocks purely for educational purposes so that I have the inside of a trifold with their easy to follow list format & the outside/back with local resources :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yeah I've been looking on that website while making this brochure. But my aim is to have one all inclusive brochure though. I actually thought a lot of people here would be interested. :confused: That way you're not handing out five different things. For example, if I see someone out with an infant seat forward facing and a shield booster for a toddler, and they are clearly expired, I wouldn't be digging for three or four different pamphlets, I could just hand them one brochure. I figure they would have a better chance at reading over one, rather than flipping though four different things and just getting frustrated. I'll still post it here when I'm done, and hopefully a little more interest will be generated when people can see the finished product. Thanks for the booster readiness questions, I'll be including that, as well as the 5 step test for seatbelt readiness.

I personally use the weight( 40# min) and the 5 step test for moving child into a booster as well as into a seat belt. I just give out extra examples of scenarios that might cause kids to move out of position to really get parents to put thought into how mature their kiddos really are.

Kimberly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC