CA65 hurting DD's back?

Sunshine112

My DD HATES her CA65 :(. She is always complaining that it really hurts her back??? I'm assuming its because of the nonrethread and that hard part is hurting her spine. Has anyone had this problem?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Is itRF or FF? installed with LATCH or seatbelt? Is there any chance there is something inside the FFing beltpath behind her back (at one point, i was using seatble to install, and failed ot notice a latch strap was bunched up back there) Do you have the thigh support deal behind her back? Does the "hurty place" have a mark, red spot, bruise? Is it located where the headrest part meets the seatback? Does she complain in any other seats? Could it be something on her clothes ( a logo patch on her jacket, for example)?? Do you have any other seats to use? Coudl you buy a new seat if you needed to? How big is the child?

Sunshine112

Is itRF or FF? installed with LATCH or seatbelt? Is there any chance there is something inside the FFing beltpath behind her back (at one point, i was using seatble to install, and failed ot notice a latch strap was bunched up back there) Do you have the thigh support deal behind her back? Does the "hurty place" have a mark, red spot, bruise? Is it located where the headrest part meets the seatback? Does she complain in any other seats? Could it be something on her clothes ( a logo patch on her jacket, for example)?? Do you have any other seats to use? Coudl you buy a new seat if you needed to? How big is the child?

It is FF with a LATCH install usually, but she also complains when it's in with a seatbelt instal or when she is RFing in it :(. There isn't anything in the belt path that shouldn't be there, I did check that because I was hoping that was all it was. I'm pretty sure it's got to do with the headrest part meeting the actual seat back since the no rethread part slides up. Occasionally she will complain in her other seats but not to the point she does in the CA65. She does have a red mark on her back after riding in it so I'm assuming again that it's from the little ledge of the headrest.
I honestly had no idea that I could use the padding behind her! Guess I need to read my manual again!! Maybe that will solve our issue and he rid of that gap.
I am using the seat right now for my babysitting girls since DD refuses to ride in it anymore, although I love the way she fits in it and sleeps in it haha.
Thanks for all your questions and suggestions!!

Oh, and she is 3.3years, 37.6" and 32lbs

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The 'same' seat, the Alpha Omega, has caused back pain for kids off and on for years, that I've read. It was bad enough in Canada, or they cared more, to recall them. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call them and tell them it's a problem, anyway :(

creideamh

DD could only use the CA65 for short trips. She looked very awkwardly positioned in it (even though she was lined up right) and would screaaaaaaaaaam for longer drives (we actually had to stop on a trip and buy her a new seat once.) One of the 39019084 reasons I no longer own one :p

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
if you notice a red mark, it seems like you have certainly hit on the correct hypothesis ;)

Oddly, my kids both used an AOE and alex uses an AOE and a CA and neither have ever complained or seemed to have any back pain or marks in them (except for the latch strap incident.. my fault!!! lmao ) Different seats, kids, angles, sensitivities, etc.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Different kids are just different. I've had several older (like 5 years-ish) kids ride in my CA 65, and every one of them has commented that it's the most comfortable seat they've ever ridden in. Of course all those kids at the time were riding in in either super cheap (i.e. cosco hbb) seats or or boosters with their parents. Also you have to take "most comfortable seat ever" with a grain of salt because at least one of them also said exactly the same thing about my Radian. But it's enough to convince me that for those kids anyway it wasn't uncomfortable. And yet it does seem that the design would logically be uncomfortable for a kid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC