Baseless Via - wrong FAQs?

jeminijad

Check out the answer to this FAQ on Tomy's website:

Can the Infant Car Seat ever be used without the base?
No!!! Compass strives to reduce the potential for misuse by reducing the complexity of its seats. Reducing the number of ways a product can be used makes the product simpler and easier for the consumer to use. If it is simpler and easier, the chances are higher that it will be used properly. In this case, install the base for the Infant Car Seat, get it level, and then simply click the seat in and out. The only adjustment that needs to be made is the height of the shoulder harness straps! No other infant seat is as simple to use.

Source: http://www.thefirstyears.com/wps/po...zcGZfc3RydXRzQWN0aW9uOiUwdmlldy5kbw!!#7_0_N87

Does anyone who has an older model of the Via know if this used to be true? Did it apply to a pre-Via seat? The link that takes you to that page is current.

ADS

jjordan

Re: Baseless Via - crazy wrong FAQs

It applies to older Vias and the newest one as well. For a while in between, the base was not required, though.

ETA: Here is the ABC Expo update from carseatblog that includes the info about the newest seat from The First Years - they're calling it the "contigo." I'm not sure if it's out yet, but it does require a base (according to the blog).

kaitlyn727

I can't even imagine not being able to install a carseat without a base! What would you do in an emergency situation where you had to use someone elses car with no base?!

jeminijad

I'm reading a PDF of the manual, and it does clearly state that you must use the base.

So do the new seats not have lockoffs on the bucket itself? I liked the video that Jennie posted on her baseless install! I ordered one of the $85 Amazon Vias today, and I can't wait to get it and experiment.

jacqui276

My Via (purchased April 2012 with a DOM in late 2011) said that I could use it baseless up to 22lbs but that I HAD to use the base from 22-35lbs. I always used the base with it though as the base was much much easier to use than a baseless install (and made it puzzle better for 3 across situations).

jjordan

I know I read about a baseless install, and it was on carseatblog.

http://carseatblog.com/16300/review...nt-carseat-big-things-come-in-small-packages/

So the company has changed this? No more baseless installs sub 22lbs?

Well, the new seats, and ones that are several years old, do not allow baseless installations. But there were a bunch in the middle there that did allow it up to a certain weight. My original reply might have been confusing - AFAIK the change is not retroactive. So people with a Via that was manufactured, say, last year should still follow their manual regarding a baseless install. (Well, everyone should follow their manual... ;))

I can't even imagine not being able to install a carseat without a base! What would you do in an emergency situation where you had to use someone elses car with no base?!

It's not really any different than needing to transport a non-infant child when you don't have a car seat for them. You just do your best to avoid those kinds of situations. Even if you have an infant seat that allows for a baseless installation, you might have an emergency come up where you don't have their infant seat with you, and you're stuck just the same.

christineka

I had an embrace that was not allowed to be used without the base. There was never a need to use it without. I made sure to always have a proper car seat while my son was a baby- just as I do now that I have kids in convertible car seats.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
jeminijad said:
Check out the answer to this FAQ on Tomy's website:

Can the Infant Car Seat ever be used without the base?
No!!! Compass strives to reduce the potential for misuse by reducing the complexity of its seats. Reducing the number of ways a product can be used makes the product simpler and easier for the consumer to use. If it is simpler and easier, the chances are higher that it will be used properly. In this case, install the base for the Infant Car Seat, get it level, and then simply click the seat in and out. The only adjustment that needs to be made is the height of the shoulder harness straps! No other infant seat is as simple to use.

Source: http://www.thefirstyears.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4j3DADJgFiO-pFQgSB9b31fj_zcVP0A_YLciHJHR0VFAP3IBT4!/delta/base64xml/L0lJWWtna3p1NkNTWUpDZ3BSQ2dwUkEhIS9vSHd3QUFBSXdBQUNFUUFBTVlaQUFLVXBTbEtjNVRBcEtrb1V0RzBZV2chIS80SVVHUllRanJFNVJPUXJ2MWpDczJIQ055anNPTWJuRS82XzBfMjFMLzdfMF9OODcvMS9hcnRpY2xlTmFtZS90ZnklMEZBUVMlMFRoZV9GaXJzdF9ZZWFyc19UcmF2ZWxfR2Vhcl9JbmZhbnRfU2VhdHMuaHRtbC9zcGZfQWN0aW9uTmFtZS9zcGZfc3RydXRzQWN0aW9uOiUwdmlldy5kbw!!#7_0_N87

Does anyone who has an older model of the Via know if this used to be true? Did it apply to a pre-Via seat? The link that takes you to that page is current.

I have an older Via that must be used with the base. It has never been an issue for me. :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor

Well, you would take the base out of your car and move it to the other car.

But that would be a PITA and personally I would not buy a seat I couldn't use baseless. Being able to pop an infant seat into a taxi or a friend's car or an airplane seat without having to deal with the base is one of the biggest reasons I use an infant bucket instead of a convertible from birth.

ConnorsMommy

I have a Via for my son that I bought in December 2012. I'm not sure what the DOM is, but it allows a baseless install up to 22 lbs too. It's complicated so I have never used it baseless. My son rarely rides in any vehicle other than my van so I've just moved the base too.

jacqui276

Well, you would take the base out of your car and move it to the other car.

But that would be a PITA and personally I would not buy a seat I couldn't use baseless. Being able to pop an infant seat into a taxi or a friend's car or an airplane seat without having to deal with the base is one of the biggest reasons I use an infant bucket instead of a convertible from birth.

With how annoying that seat was to install baseless (I didn't get along well with the lock offs) and how easy the base was to install, I had no issues just moving my base around when putting my via in different vehicles.

Brigala

CPST Instructor

Yeah, from what I can tell that seat was so hard to use baseless it's probably a blessing to remove that feature all together. But it doesn't seem like it would have been that hard to put a normal baseless belt path on it like every other infant seat on the market.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC