Help Me Decide Which to Buy

JCsMomma

We are expecting #4 this summer and will be buying a new car in the next couple of months. There just isn't enough cargo room in my Pilot with the third row in use regularly. We are buying new as we plan to keep this car 10+ years. My husband now has a company car so we will be selling/trading both of our current cars for the new one.

We don't want a minivan. We have had one once and it was okay but I didn't love it or want to keep it forever. This is going to be my for-as-long-as-it-runs car so I want to LOVE it. To have everything I want without a minivan, my choices are basically the Expedition EL or Suburban/Yukon XL.

Ineed my two girls separated as they fight like crazy in the car and I can barely handle it now, let alone with a newb in the mix. I'd like my older two in the third row and the two younger kids in the 2nd row captains chairs. We will definitely be getting captains chairs, we've had both and the ease of in/out is more important to us than the extra seat. Ages once the baby comes will be:

DS - 7 y/o in HBB (currently Evenflo Sport and ProBooster)
DD1- 4 y/o FF (FR85 & Nauti)
DD2- 2 y/o RF (RA55 and RN80 w/AA)
Newb - TBD infant seat (have a Keyfit but lusting after an Aton)

I am 99% sure I want a new Expedition EL. My husband has a new Fusion for work and we've been very happy with Ford. We also get special Ford pricing through his company, they are offering awesome rebates, and I just like it better. The third row is bigger, and we might actually have an extra seat with two CRs in the way back. I'm afraid with 2 seats in the Suburban third row we won't be able to have a third rider back there. I also don't like the locking latch plates on the Suburban's third row belts.

The ONLY thing on my list for the Burb over the Expy is that the third row tether can be used in the center or one of the outboard seats (don't remember which side off the top of my head). The Expy only has the TT in center third row. Which means I either have my DS and DD1 right next to each other so she can have a TT, or they both go outboard and she isn't top tethered. So, would you go with the more expensive vehicle that you like significantly less just for the flexibility of the third row tethers? A couple of my thoughts:

1. DS needs to be able to buckle/unbuckle himself in the line for school drop off and pick-up. I don't mind the older two sitting next to each other it I'm afraid this wont be possible if they are.

2. Does anyone know if the FR85 can be installed with LBP in the third row outboard in the new gen of Expy? If so, I might be comfortable not using the TT.

3. Putting my RFing kids in the third row and loading through the hatch is not an option. The cargo space is too long to easily do that and I have joint issues that make climbing in and out to buckle not a possibility. Safety is my priority but I have to balance the convenience and comfort of everyone in the family. There will be a lot of to/from school and activities and I need for everyone to be able to do that in the easiest way possible.

ADS

hkllgg

Just a thought, and I just looked up the expedition seating on line, bit have you looked at the Flex? I would rather have (if ot were me) the 3 in the 2nd row, and the 4 yr old in back? Putting the booster on the passanger side (on the tumble seat) so they can get out for school. That might only work though, if it is a lbb.
Or the older 2 in back, leave the tumble seat empty, and put the younger 2 on the 60 split of the 2nd row.
I am not a van person either, and with 4 kids also, I think my flex is plenty big. We have put 2 paintball guns and all the boys gear, aalong with cloths for 6 of us for a week in the back. Lol

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I have a Yukon XL Denali and 4 kids...works great for us. I looked at the Expedition EL when we bought but just didn't move me the way the Denali did. My husband did just buy a Ford F350 and that sucker is NICE...I never had any Ford love until we got it. That being said the Suburbans/Yukons are going to be completely redesigned for 2014 so I would wait until those are out to make my decision. Also the current body style Expedition has been out just as long and I am sure a re-design is coming for them too. I would hate to buy a car (to keep forever) that is an "old" model the year after I buy it.

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

JCsMomma

The Flex is not big enough. It has 20 cubic ft of cargo space with the third row in use versus 42.6 for the Expedition. My current pilot is about 16, so not enough of an increase. I will need to have a double stroller with me and I can't fit my double in the pilot and have room for anything else. I need to be able to do a Costco run without taking out my stroller or other gear (baseball, etc) that lives in the car. When we bought the Pilot I convinced myself that I would have enough space, and I do with all three kids in the second row. But the fighting is too much and I want to be able to spread my kids out without giving up cargo room. We do also have a 50+ lb dog who doesn't travel often but needs to fit.

I know from experience I want captains chairs. I hate the constant tumble of seats. My DD1 would be very upset to be in the third row alone with everyone else in the middle. And I would like some separation between my now 18 month old and the new baby - she torments her sister now and I don't even want to deal with that with a newborn.

Dani, I have definitely thought about waiting for the redesign. I don't think the GM redesign will sway my opinion that much, I've seen lots of "spy" photos and such online. The 2013 Expys are already on the lot and no changes in the pipeline for 2014, so we are talking waiting over a year possibly. I can't wait that long. I would probably buy the older model year with better rebates and pricing than the brand new model going for sticker anyway.

I guess I know what I want to buy (Expy EL) but I worry about the tether situation...

T4K

I love the Expedition for the 3rd row. I used to have a Navigator and loved it. I had a Recaro ProSport in the 3rd row sometimes on the "40" portion of the seat when I had to fold down the "60" portion. I did not like having the seat untethered but the ProSport felt very secure without the tether. I know it doesn't mean anything but it made me feel better. Haha.

hkllgg

I guess my thought was with the captains chairs, and you didn't want a rf in the 3rd row, then you have both rf in the captains chairs, and for school drop off, the older one would have to climb under a rf seat to get out of vehicle. With backpack and anything else they might have, that might be more of a hassle than the tumble seat. I thing that is why I like the 3 seats in the second row better.

jgomez411

We love our Expedition. We have a 2004 and my dad has a 2008. We only have one child though so can't really help on the TT issue. We have captains chairs and my dad has the bench seat, and even though I prefer the style of his Expedition, I prefer the captains chairs. It looks like they're going to redesign them for 2014 but personally I am not a big fan because it looks like every other SUV.http://www.autoevolution.com/news/new-2014-ford-expedition-rendering-53901.html

JCsMomma

Thanks, I had not seen that about the redesign! And I've been looking constantly. Hmmm... I wonder how much the 2013's will be discounted/rebated when those bad boys are expected! Although you'd think there'd be more speculation with 2014 MY's going into production sooner than later?

I totally get what you mean about the rear facing kids and school drop off. Something to think about for sure. But we will only have two rear-facers for a year or two so I think I'd rather deal with him climbing under for that long than have a bench in the second row forever :) Based on my current three, I am pretty positive I want the option of spreading them all out, and with a bench that would leave no aisle to the third row. I think I'm willing to make my DS crawl to save my sanity lol.

canadiangie

I know I'm from Canada and likely perceived as biased towards top tethering, but I promise, no matter where I lived, I would not use a ff harnessed seat untethered knowing what I know, and seeing what I've seen in crash testing.

So, I'm not sure I could do the Expy. :eek:

The two rf kids in captains chairs 2nd row actually made me pause. I know my 6.5 yo would never stop complaining if I had her climb under a car seat for the next 2 years. I'm not actually sure she could physically fit 2 years from now. Maybe, but not without drama.

I've said over and over that I would keep my Pilot if we added a fourth. Ive even got a seating plan in my head. ;) However we don't have a dog anymore :( and I grocery shop 2 times a week, on average. I can fit a bjcmd and $200 of groceries (about 10 bags) behind my 3rd row. We own a Thule as well, tho we haven't used it at all with the Pilot. And my kids don't fight in the car. If they squabble at all I just mention the idea of popping up my 3rd row and separating them and they clam it. They prefer sitting sbs. It's all they know, really.

Anyway, top tethering is a deal breaker for *me*. And I sparkly heart adore my Pilot and its child friendly features. I'd do my best to replicate those things if I moved to something else.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I know nothing about the big SUVs but I'm all about making sure people checked out all of their options...so did you check out Toyota before finalizing your list? I think the Sequoia is their big ass SUV. Or maybe it's the Land Cruiser. One or both of those two anyway.

And Nissan. Armada is it?

JCsMomma

You have the newer generation Pilot, right? I think you have a little bit more room but I still can't imagine it being enough! Maybe I need to rethink what I haul (or want to haul) around lol.

I used to have two rear-facers in my van's captains chairs. It never seemed to be a problem for DS to climb in and out. Granted, he was younger but close in size to what he is now. He's been 60 lbs forever it seems. I could still have him the third row with a tumbled second row passenger seat and the babies sbs. That way DD1 wouldn't be alone one the back. But I still hate the idea of that tumbled seat for whatever reason.

I found a link to some crash test results that showed head excursion numbers and for some seats the numbers were not all that different. If I had a FF seat that performed well in that area, I am just not sure the TT issue is enough to make me spend more money on the less ideal car. Or buy one I don't really want just b/c of top tethers. But these expert opinions are what I need, even if its not what I want to hear. So thanks!

JCsMomma

I used to have an Armada. We've had way too many cars lol. And that's why this one needs to be a long term vehicle! I loved that car but the cargo space is an issue. It is 20 cubic feet. Also, the one third row tether anchor cuts across the cargo space making it even worse. The Sequoia has less, at 18.9. They all have lots of passenger space, but not so good at the cargo situation the Acadia/Traverse are a little bigger at about 24, but I would have the same TT issues. Acadia was on my short list but I think it's out for various reasons.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
You know you can have an upright rf'ing seat in the Yukon/Burb and if you scoot the front passanger seat up, kids can squeeze between the rf'ing seat and the front seat to get in and out....try it out in the Expedition it might work.

Regarding pricing on Fords...I'll share what I know from my husbands purchase in November. The sticker on his 2012 truck was $63,000 and he bought it about 2 weeks before the 2013 hit the lots. He paid (before TTL) $51,000 ($55000 after TTL) for it...so he got $12,000 off sticker. He was paying cash and a lot of the dealers told him he needed to finance thru Ford Credit and keep the loan for at least 3 months to get one of the rebates but we held firm and ended up with two local dealers who would give him all the rebates despite not financing thru Ford. Turns out dealers get a spiff for getting it financed thru FMC and keeping the loan for 3 months (at three months they get their payout)...sneaky little trick to watch out for.

JCsMomma

You know you can have an upright rf'ing seat in the Yukon/Burb and if you scoot the front passanger seat up, kids can squeeze between the rf'ing seat and the front seat to get in and out....try it out in the Expedition it might work.

Regarding pricing on Fords...I'll share what I know from my husbands purchase in November. The sticker on his 2012 truck was $63,000 and he bought it about 2 weeks before the 2013 hit the lots. He paid (before TTL) $51,000 ($55000 after TTL) for it...so he got $12,000 off sticker. He was paying cash and a lot of the dealers told him he needed to finance thru Ford Credit and keep the loan for at least 3 months to get one of the rebates but we held firm and ended up with two local dealers who would give him all the rebates despite not financing thru Ford. Turns out dealers get a spiff for getting it financed thru FMC and keeping the loan for 3 months (at three months they get their payout)...sneaky little trick to watch out for.

Awesome info, thanks! There are still a few 2012's on the lot that I'm betting I could get a screaming deal on. I am really going to have to spend some time trying seats and kids in these cars!

We plan to use our credit union but I would finance thru FMC and go right away to refi at my CU if they wouldn't give me the rebate otherwise ;-)

hkllgg

How about putting the baby (if using a bucket) in the back with the 4 yr old. You would have to get back there to help buckle anyway, right. Then rf behind driver, and oldest on pass side for drop off? Just trying to brainstorm for you. :)

JCsMomma

Well, my DH and I went to look at cars this weekend. We have been talking, and he convinced me to look at a couple of minivans. DH is a fan of the room and comfort they offer... Plus made me reconsider the practicality and cost of a minivan vs the Expy EL or Suburban, including the resale value and cost of insurance and gas on top of the purchase price.

I reluctantly agreed and was trying to tell myself I need to do the more practical thing not only financially but utility wise as well. We had previously looked at the new Sienna and I am not a fan - it just looks sort of cheap and plasticky to me. No offense intended, I know many here have and love them.

First we looked at the Quest. My DH loves the look and we are big Nissan fans. We looked at the LE, which is the top trim. There are great deals to be had b/c there are quite a few 2012s left still. There are great rebates as well. The van was very nice, the seats were comfy and it had every option we want. My DH drove it and was pleased with it. I decided not to drive it b/c I still wasn't convinced about a minivan, but mainly I was a little turned off by the salesman for a few reasons and knew we'd go elsewhere to look more seriously if we decided on the Quest.

Then we looked at the Odyssey. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to love it. I see them everywhere, it seems to be the main one you see on the road! I just wasn't crazy about having such a popular vehicle (a sentiment I've always had about my Pilot). However, once I got inside that van I was like a kid in a candy store. We were looking at a touring, and the dealer had every color in stock so we got to choose which one we wanted to drive. I was climbing I and out of the rows, checking out all the configurations, etc. I cannot believe how roomy the interior of that car is, and how many options I would have to configure car seats. And my not-small husband (only 6' but very long torsoed and stocky at about230lbs) sat in the third row with the second row captains chair moved all the way back and he had plenty of legroom and head room. We went on a nice long test drive and I am in LOVE!! I guess now I understand why there are so many Ody's out there...

My DH did like the handling and the comfort of the front seats slightly better in the Quest, but agreed the functionality and space of the Ody are superior. And still quite nice in the other areas - I happen to like the look and feel of the Ody better. Soooo much better in person than I expected it to be. We will be buying a Touring sometime in March or April, just paying off some debt first. It will be slightly more expensive than the Quest but it will also be a 2013 instead of the 2012 Quest.

Sorry so long, just had to share that this anti-minivan mom has been converted because of the famous Ody :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC