Question Convertible seats for Honda Fit and Corolla

TKE

Here's our situation:
- main car: 2011 Honda Fit
- second car: 1999 Toyota Corolla (runs fine for now but will need to be replaced eventually)
- DH and I are average height (5'10 and 5'7 respectively, but he has a longer torso, we drive with the seat in the same position)
- One child, DD, 7 months old, average height, skinny
- Currently sits in a Chicco Keyfit 30, installed behind front passenger seat in both cars

I was happy to find a handful of threads talking about what car seats fit in the Honda Fit, but none of them were quite current so I figured another one wouldn't hurt. Here are (some of) my questions.

First for our current situation: Should we move the Keyfit to the middle of the back seat in both vehicles? It would be much more difficult to lift in and out (which we do daily), but would it significantly increase safety? Moving the seat would also prevent the use of the (shatterproof, lightweight) mirror that straps into the headrest (and which we don't look into while driving, naturally).

Then looking ahead to when DD gets too tall for the Keyfit. She will reach the height limits of car seats far before the weight limits, so we'll be looking for a convertible seat that fits rear-facing into the Fit and has a high back for a tall child. What do you recommend?

What about a convertible seat for the old Corolla (which DD rides in a couple times a week only)?

Next, looking further into the future, is the question of fitting two seats into the cars. We're planning on a second (and last) child when DD is about 2 years old. At that point the Keyfit will go back in, and DD will hopefully still rear-face in her convertible seat. What placements and convertible seats do you suggest for that scenario? We don't regularly need to fit 5 people in the car.

Thanks for any advice you can give me! I will also continue to read through all the existing resources here.

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC