which vehicles have 3 LATCH positions??

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Honda Ridgeline does, and so does the 2009 Honda Pilot - they have 3 full sets of LATCH in the second row which can be used simultaneously to install up to 3 carseats. :)

Ahzryn

The Honda Ridgeline does, and so does the 2009 Honda Pilot - they have 3 full sets of LATCH in the second row which can be used simultaneously to install up to 3 carseats. :)

Do you know by any chance what MY they started having three? Or have they always had them?

crunchierthanthou

Do you know by any chance what MY they started having three? Or have they always had them?

The Ridgeline always has (introduced in 06). As Jeanum said, it's new to the 09 MY for the Pilot- which also has a 4th LATCH position 3rd row passenger side and a TA for all rear seating positions. :thumbsup:

Pixels

The Ridgeline always has (introduced in 06). As Jeanum said, it's new to the 09 MY for the Pilot- which also has a 4th LATCH position 3rd row passenger side and a TA for all rear seating positions. :thumbsup:

My estimation of Honda, and the Pilot in particular, just went up about two notches. 4 sets of LATCH, and TAs in all rear seating positions? :drool:

I wish they would change FMVSS to require a top tether anchor for all rear seating positions. The function of the lower anchors can be replicated by the seatbelt, but there is nothing to replace the top tether.

Mama!

From personal experience the Pontiac G6 has three across (staggered) and the Chrysler 300 has three straight across. Though neither can have all three used at once.

From the LATCH manual, these can have all three used at once:
Buick
MY 02-05 Century
MY 02-05 Lesabre
MY 03-05 Park Ave
MY 06-07 LaCrosse
MY 06-07 Lucerne
MY 03-05 Regal

Cadillac
MY 05-07 DTS
MY 02-04 Deville
MY 03-04 Seville
MY 05-07 STS

Chevy:
MY 05-07 Cobalt
MY 02-07 Impala
MY 02-07 Monte Carlo

Dodge:
MY 02-03 Intrepid

Jeep:
MY 06-07 Commander

Oldsmobile:
MY 02-03 Aurora

Pontiac:
MY 02-05 Bonneville
MY 03-07 Grand Prix

Saturn:
MY 03-07 Ion
MY 02-05 L series (sedan and wagon)
MY 02-07 Vue

That's it, according to the LATCH manual. There are others that have three LATCH positions, but they cannot all be used at the same time. There are others with center LATCH and either no outboard or outboard on one side, but they don't allow three across.

Wendy

Huh. My mom has a Chrysler PT Cruiser with 3 latch positions in the backseat. I had no idea all 3 couldn't be used at once??

crunchierthanthou

My estimation of Honda, and the Pilot in particular, just went up about two notches. 4 sets of LATCH, and TAs in all rear seating positions? :drool:

I wish they would change FMVSS to require a top tether anchor for all rear seating positions. The function of the lower anchors can be replicated by the seatbelt, but there is nothing to replace the top tether.

I know! The Pilot has had a TA for each rear position since the 03 MY (6 total). The only change for the 09 MY is the two additional sets of lower anchors. :)

Huh. My mom has a Chrysler PT Cruiser with 3 latch positions in the backseat. I had no idea all 3 couldn't be used at once??

according to the LATCH manual there are 4 lower anchors. The inner ones can be used for center LATCH, but they are non-standard spacing. You can do either two outboard LATCH (standard spacing) or one center (provided the child restraint manufacturer allows non-standard spacing).

So can you do 3 across with LATCH on a Ridgeline or 09 Pilot? Wendy's list only had American cars. Do the imports just not allow 3 across LATCH? My Ridgeline sure looks like it has standard spacing.

crunchierthanthou

I just skimmed through the 09 LATCH manual since Wendy's list is from before it was published. Here are the ones I noticed integrated with her list (additions in bold).

Acura
07-09 MDX

Buick
MY 08-09 Allure
MY 02-05 Century
MY 02-05 Lesabre
MY 03-05 Park Ave
MY 06-09 LaCrosse
MY 06-09 Lucerne
MY 03-05 Regal

Cadillac
MY 05-09 DTS
MY 02-04 Deville
MY 03-04 Seville
MY 05-09 STS

Chevy:
MY 05-09 Cobalt
MY 02-09 Impala
MY 02-07 Monte Carlo

Dodge:
MY 02-03 Intrepid
MY 01-03 Stratus

Ford
MY 03-09 Expedition

Honda
MY 09 Pilot
MY 06-09 Ridgeline

Jeep:
MY 06-09 Commander

Lincoln:
03-09 Navigator

Pontiac:
MY 02-05 Bonneville
MY 03-08 Grand Prix
MY 08-09 G8

Saturn:
MY 03-07 Ion
MY 02-05 L series (sedan and wagon)
MY 02-07 Vue

Toyota:
MY 08 Sequoia
MY 04-09 Sienna 8 passenger

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So can you do 3 across with LATCH on a Ridgeline or 09 Pilot? Wendy's list only had American cars. Do the imports just not allow 3 across LATCH? My Ridgeline sure looks like it has standard spacing.

The Ridgeline and 09 Pilot allow all three to be used. My list was two years old already. :)

Wendy

Thanks! Kinda sad the imports have so few vehicles that can do 3 across. Hopefully they'll have more and more. Kinda surprised to see the Germans shut out.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor

My mom's PT Cruiser does allow center LATCH but does not allow 3 across at the same time. The center & passenger OB share an anchor. So either it's 2 outboard at one time or center & driver outboard LATCH but not all 3 at the same time.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
The PT Cruiser came out about the same time as I took the tech class and someone in the class brought it for us to install in. IIRC, it had a LATCH anchor that looked like it was twice as wide. There was much discussion about how it would confuse people.

Coincidentally, I had a Ridgeline come to a check event today. We didn't have the vehicle manual but did have a LATCH manual (no pictures :(). The top tethers are very low. The center tether anchor is actually between the two LATCH achors in the seat bight. The outboard anchors are on the side of the floor board. In both cases, there is a thick bar behind the seat (in a cute little plastic box :D) to route the top tether around before being attached to the actual tether anchor. The tether strap on the Cosco seat was not long enough to reach the anchor, since it essentially had to run the length of the vehicle seat and then 2-3 more inches to the floor of the truck. Very interesting. I'd hope the VM has a diagram because it is rather unusual, even for a truck.

BudgieStew

When I was installing my DD Marathon in our neighbors 2005 Dodge Magnum I noticed three separate LATCH but do not know if all three are usable at the same time. Does anyone know? I am curious and unwilling to freak out the neighbor anymore by asking for her manual.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hmm, I don't see a listing in the LATCH manual for an '05 Magnum, could it possibly be slightly newer? The '06-08 Magnum allows 2 outboard LATCH installations or 1 center LATCH installation, but not 3 LATCH installs all at the same time according to the LATCH manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC