Tall boosters with latch - Is this list correct? Any others?

Athena

I hope it's okay I have so many threads. I appreciate all the help narrowing down my booster options (or at this point it's more like trying to find just one that might work).

Taller Boosters with Latch:
Monterey
Parkway SGL
Clek Oobr
Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro
Peg Perego

Is this list correct? Anything I've missed?

ADS

Athena

Yes, the Frontier. Nice and tall. Thanks!

Although I don't think it fits skinnies that well, but maybe when she's outgrown it by harness it will. Wish I knew because if it would, I'd just get another Frontier and use it harnessed until then, but it's hard to predict the future. ;)

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I don't know when you need a booster by, but the Recaro Performance booster is shipping this summer and will have lower anchors (at least that is what someone from Recaro posted on my fb question)

firemomof3

Here is my dd1 when she was 7y/o in the original Frontier and she is very thin...
comfortsport005.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the Cruiserfix is on your list you should add the Graco Affix-it's not significantly different in height. I think the Peg is about the same too.

Athena

I don't know when you need a booster by, but the Recaro Performance booster is shipping this summer and will have lower anchors (at least that is what someone from Recaro posted on my fb question)

I don't think I can wait til then, but I am intrigued. Do we know more about it? Will it have the same shell and height as the probooster, but just adding latch? Are they saying the price point yet?

Here is my dd1 when she was 7y/o in the original Frontier and she is very thin...

Is the fit similar to the Frontier 85? Because that looks fairly good, right? Do you remember her size then? My DD is about 50 inches and 46 pounds with clothes right now and on the top Frontier 85 harness slot. When I sat her in our Frontier and ran the belt through the guide on the top harness slot (not raised for booster, just a rough look), it looked a little far out on her shoulder, but it worked great with my vehicle belt that is getting hung up on the other belt guides (the big issue I'm trying to work around), and for that reason, I would consider getting another one for that last inch of harness and booster after.

Athena

If the Cruiserfix is on your list you should add the Graco Affix-it's not significantly different in height. I think the Peg is about the same too.

The First Years B570, it has approx 20" tall seat belt guides

Thank you!!!

It sounds like I may have included boosters that are shorter than I'd like. DD is about 50" and on the top Frontier 85 slot and I prefer booster with a back for as long as possible. So should I focus on Monterey, Parkway SGL, Frontier, and Oobr? Anything else? I really appreciate the help with this.

On the other hand, you may have seen my other thread on the problems I'm having with belt guides with my vehicle's weird shoulder belt placement, so I'm trying to figure out which one(s) overlap these needs and then try them in the car, realizing I may not be able to get everything I want because of my weird car. Does that make sense? I already know it doesn't work with the Parkway SGL, otherwise I'd be happily keeping that and be happy to be done with this.

Athena

The First Years B570, it has approx 20" tall seat belt guides

It looks like the belt guides are more on the sides (and a bit more forward), so may be worth a try (even if it doesn't have quite as much height as I'd hoped for). Any idea if it fits skinnies well?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well the Oobr's are only an inch higher.

I was super frustrated looking for tall boosters (my 6 year old has outgrown the FR85.) Most of these boosters aren't significantly taller than each other, sigh. I ended up deciding I could live without LATCH in a booster.

Athena

Well the Oobr's are only an inch higher.

I was super frustrated looking for tall boosters (my 6 year old has outgrown the FR85.) Most of these boosters aren't significantly taller than each other, sigh. I ended up deciding I could live without LATCH in a booster.

How tall are the Oobrs? The measurement section here has a range of almost an inch for it, 20.5-21.25 I think. I am very frustrated too and want to have this figured out already. I had no idea how difficult this would be and really, really appreciate all the help here.

What did you end up getting? I'd really like latch, but haven't ruled out not having it completely.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I don't think I can wait til then, but I am intrigued. Do we know more about it? Will it have the same shell and height as the probooster, but just adding latch? Are they saying the price point yet?

They have a pre-order at babyviva, but no pictures. I think price was $129.... it is suppose to have cupholders as well. There is a blog post but I can't look for it at work.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How tall are the Oobrs? The measurement section here has a range of almost an inch for it, 20.5-21.25 I think. I am very frustrated too and want to have this figured out already. I had no idea how difficult this would be and really, really appreciate all the help here.

What did you end up getting? I'd really like latch, but haven't ruled out not having it completely.

21-21.25 is pretty accurate. The Oobr is great for my shorter, normal-torsoed kid. I got rid of my second because no way are the others gonna get any use out of it. :(

I won a Safety 1st Boost Air Protect in their monthly drawing and am really liking it. It (along with the Pronto) is the tallest on the market, it has great headwings, and it has OODLES of growing room. Good leg support too. And cupholders, which is important to her. She wants a pink one so this will become a spare when we buy her a pink one, but other than that she's very happy and at this point I don't see a point in choosing a different one for her main seat, with current options on the market. (And it's nice and light so I don't worry about the lack of LATCH and has great belt positioning on her.)

This was her growth room when her torso was 20.25" (right before she shot up that extra 0.25" and I had to switch her):
425569_10151309813304354_1157807690_n.jpg

For comparison, same-day shot in the FR85, which measured right at 20.5" top slots in the third row of my Ody:
381974_10151309812939354_252020785_n.jpg

littleangelfire

The original Frontier adjusted higher than the FR85. I vaguely remember Sarah from Britax saying it wasn't actually supposed to adjust as tall as we were measuring it, but we all got the same height so it did. But you won't get one of those unless you find one on swap./

Athena

There is a blog post but I can't look for it at work.

I'll search for it. Thanks!

21-21.25 is pretty accurate. The Oobr is great for my shorter, normal-torsoed kid. I got rid of my second because no way are the others gonna get any use out of it. :(

I won a Safety 1st Boost Air Protect in their monthly drawing and am really liking it. It (along with the Pronto) is the tallest on the market, it has great headwings, and it has OODLES of growing room. Good leg support too. And cupholders, which is important to her. She wants a pink one so this will become a spare when we buy her a pink one, but other than that she's very happy and at this point I don't see a point in choosing a different one for her main seat, with current options on the market. (And it's nice and light so I don't worry about the lack of LATCH and has great belt positioning on her.)

Thanks! That is one tall 6yo you've got! I thought I had problems with my kids, but wow is yours tall! Apparently I've missed some of these taller boosters completely. I just checked a few store sites and they all say not available in store for the Boost Air. I was hoping to go take a look at it, especially to get a better look at the belt guides, but maybe I can find some good pics online. Thanks for telling me about it. I'm still hoping for something with latch and my kids are not as tall as yours, but good to stay open minded and have other options, especially at this nice price point.

The original Frontier adjusted higher than the FR85.

I hadn't remembered that. Thanks for pointing it out. Was still just thinking Frontier is tallest booster. Seems like I read that a lot here. Anyone know how tall the Frontier 85 goes as a booster. I thought it was supposed to be a tall one, but I've never put mine into full booster mode and the measurements here for that are missing. The 80 was 24? Wow!

littleangelfire

I hadn't remembered that. Thanks for pointing it out. Was still just thinking Frontier is tallest booster. Seems like I read that a lot here. Anyone know how tall the Frontier 85 goes as a booster. I thought it was supposed to be a tall one, but I've never put mine into full booster mode and the measurements here for that are missing. The 80 was 24? Wow![/QUOTE]

The FR85 is still pretty tall.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can get pics of the belt guides next time I'm in the car, if I remember my camera. What do you need to know about them? They are (as you can see there) off to the side a bit, and they are fairly far back... I can take a pic of the shape if that's what you need.

Athena

There is a blog post but I can't look for it at work.

I think I found it. The one at ABC looks nice. If it turns out to be a bit taller than the probooster, it'd be even better. Of course, I have no idea if it fits my car or kid, but I am wishing it would come out sooner so I could try it.

I can get pics of the belt guides next time I'm in the car, if I remember my camera. What do you need to know about them? They are (as you can see there) off to the side a bit, and they are fairly far back... I can take a pic of the shape if that's what you need.

I have this thread on the problem getting a booster to work with my car's shoulder belts. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=240667

Essentially, the shoulder belts come out of the car forward of the seat back, so the guides need to be more forward or maybe the more important part is them being angled toward the side. Does that make any sense? It's hard to explain. I've tried the Parkway, Turbo, Nauti, and Frontier, and so far the Frontier is the only it's not getting hung up on, but I'm not sure the Frontier will fit my kid's shoulder as a booster by the time she outgrows the harness (or I'd just buy another one of those). So, I've been trying to narrow down which others to try by looking for boosters that have promising looking belt guides (and hopefully some other features on my wish list), realizing I'll have to try them to really know.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well they are angled, position is very similar to the Frontier, but I have no clue if they're what you need. The Frontier does go quite tall, is she built narrow?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC