PA laws on car seats..

Baylor

Actual law on car seats :
• Children under the age of four (4) must be buckled into a federally-approved child passenger restraint system
(child safety seat), which must be secured to the vehicle by the seat belt system (or using the vehicle’s LATCH
system, available in newer vehicles), no matter where they ride in the vehicle (front or back seat).
• Children ages four (4) and older, but under the age of eight (8) must be buckled into a federally-approved child
booster seat, which must be secured to the vehicle by the seat belt system, no matter where they ride in a
vehicle (front or back seat). Booster seats must be used in conjunction with lap and shoulder belts.
• Children ages eight (8) and older, but under age 18 must be buckled in a seat belt, no matter where they ride
in the vehicle (front or back seat).
• Drivers are responsible for securing children into an approved child passenger restraint system and ensuring
children under age 18 are buckled up.
VIOLATORS MAY BE FINED AND WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL COURT COSTS.

This is an added section after law requirements.

CHILD RESTRAINT LAW
Vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death and injury to children in the United States. In Pennsylvania each
year, approximately 7,000 children under five (5) years of age are involved in crashes.
Children who weigh less than 20 pounds and are under one (1) year of age should ride in rear-facing child safety
seats. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children ride rear-facing for as long as
possible in rear-facing seats designed to accommodate weights up to 35 pounds.
Never install a rear-facing child
safety seat in the front seat if an air bag is present. In a crash, the air bag will hit the back of the child seat with
tremendous force, which will be transmitted to the infant’s head causing severe injury or death.

Yes I know it is not technically correct because there are seats that rf to 45 these days but still, I thought it was cool the recommend RF as long as possible. I had not seen that before. I know it does not catch up with law but still.

Technically my son can go boosterless according to law.. Which he isn't.

ADS

Mercuria

It seems poorly written, and you're technically breaking the law if you harness past 4 or booster past 8. Please tell me I'm reading it wrong...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Unless there's another subsection which explains further, you're reading it right.

My state had something similar until last year, which stated that all children over 40 lbs (regardless of age) had to ride in a belt positioning booster. It was an artifact from when harnessed seats didn't accommodate kids larger than that. I never heard of anybody actually getting a ticket for it, though.

Stelvis

It seems poorly written, and you're technically breaking the law if you harness past 4 or booster past 8. Please tell me I'm reading it wrong...

Yes, it is poorly written.

I actually wrote to my state rep about the wording a year ago, because I'm a nerd. He had a staff member look into it and I got the answer back from PennDOT that it would not be considered illegal to use a federally approved car seat with a harness past age 4, or a booster past age 8.

PA's "recommendations" follow NHTSA recommendations.

Even if it were technically illegal to harness past age 4, car seat misuse in our state is a summary offense with a maximum penalty of a $100 fine, so I think I'll take the risk. For that matter my kid goes to preschool with the kids of the district attorney, who are/were harnessed past age 4. So if I'm breaking the law, so is he....

ETA, PennDOT recommendations. http://www.justdrivepa.org/Traffic-Safety-Information-Center/Child-Passenger-Safety/

rachelandtyke

My state has similar wording. It makes it sound like you break the law if you rf past 1, harness past 4, booster past 6, etc. It's leftover from the days when seats only rfed to 20 lbs and harnessed to 40 lbs, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC