Question Click Connect seats

I feel very out of the loop here.

So the Click Connect 40 and 35 are the same shell or not? How do these compare to the SR35 as far as the shell and length of use goes?

In the pictures they look the same, just the base looks different. We all know that 99% of babies will not be in a bucket at 40lbs given that they're usually closer to 4 by the time they hit that weight so I guess what I'm trying to determine is if there is a real reason to ever buy the 40 over the 35... I'm super confused and its bugging me. Please fill me in!

ADS

NannyMom

I'm curious too! I've been told there's also a 35LX and that one has the nice Graco lockoff.

D&L's-mommy

I'm not sure about shell heights, but I know graco says the cc40 is for "up to 2 years" , so I'm thinking it's probably not worth the extra cost, you would need to get a convertible anyway if you're going to erf, but I think they're marketing this seat more to the people that think they're *supposed* to ff at 2nd bday, so this seat will prevent them from having to buy a convertible.
It looks like the head rest slides up beyond the top of the shell, allowing a higher height, and I like the multiple recline positions making it much easier to get a more upright angle without having to reinstall.
I just wonder why they put a 40lb limit then say it's only for up to 2 years? I don't imagine a child about 18months or older would be comfortable in a seat this size, let alone a 40lb child

Yes, I'm not "getting" their marketing strategy here either. I understand and completely support the underlying message but it still seems like an irresponsible approach and the seat should be correctly labeled and marketed. Obviously it frustrates us all to see such a "matter of fact" age limit on a seat when it's just not the right way to label a car seat.

I have no doubts that this seat is excellent but I feel like next year there will be all kinds of bad reviews saying "this is crazy, my 17 month old is squished, I thought this would last him until he's 2, don't buy it" etc.
Anyway, I'm desperate to know the real differences between the 35 and 40 besides the base and price.

Am I the only one who is getting a little but over Graco and their 8 versions of every model kick? It seems this is just confusing even to us geeks now as far as being helpful and knowledgeable about different models for people... I mean, crap- Nannymom is even stumped!

Are all these bases different and model specific? Can you use the 35 on the 40 base? This raises a huge safety concern for the future because people will switch seats, models and bases that *seem* to work but don't IMO. The average person won't have a clue.

CourtneyL

I think their marketing strategy is cleaver, but really sneaky.
Average mom-to-be walks into BRU to make her baby registry. Looks at all the infant seats, says "hey, this graco one lasts until 40lbs! And 2 years! That will get me to that new minimum I heard about for rear facing!". She gets that seat and tells all her friends. Fast forward a year and half, her baby is getting bigger and feeling cramped in the CC40, she goes back to BRU and looks at seats. Since her kid made it past the 1 year legal minimum for rear facing, she says "I don't really need a convertible, little Jimmy already made it past 1, and he's 20 months now, so that's close enough to 2..." So she sees the graco nautilus and says "wow, this is a 3in1! It will last Little Jimmy for a long time and even works as a booster! I won't need to buy another car seat!!" She buys the nautilus and tells all her friends about this great graco car seat she has and never tries any seats from another company. When she has another kid, she goes back to graco because she was satisfied the last time and never tried any other seats.
Graco Wins.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think their marketing strategy is cleaver, but really sneaky.
Average mom-to-be walks into BRU to make her baby registry. Looks at all the infant seats, says "hey, this graco one lasts until 40lbs! And 2 years! That will get me to that new minimum I heard about for rear facing!". She gets that seat and tells all her friends. Fast forward a year and half, her baby is getting bigger and feeling cramped in the CC40, she goes back to BRU and looks at seats. Since her kid made it past the 1 year legal minimum for rear facing, she says "I don't really need a convertible, little Jimmy already made it past 1, and he's 20 months now, so that's close enough to 2..." So she sees the graco nautilus and says "wow, this is a 3in1! It will last Little Jimmy for a long time and even works as a booster! I won't need to buy another car seat!!" She buys the nautilus and tells all her friends about this great graco car seat she has and never tries any seats from another company. When she has another kid, she goes back to graco because she was satisfied the last time and never tried any other seats.
Graco Wins.

Every product tries to have the highest number, it's all a ploy. Even people who have a 35 pound 3 year old running around seem to have NO clue what babies weigh and are happy to be scammed by baby bjorns with 30 pound weight limits, or ticked by swings with 25 pound weight limits, ie, there's just no consciousness what kids weigh at what age, even when you HAVE a kid!

Anyway, the features on the 40 are nice, I usually just point out that the seat must be tested to a very high standard to rate at that weight, and don't try to imagine yourself carrying an average 40 pound 5 year old in it :p (I also point out height limits, those are usually more or less correct :)) (Oh, and you should see even my BRU coworkers saying the seats with 70 lb weight limits will 'last so much longer!' than the seats with 65 pound weight limits. :rolleyes:)

As for the SR35CC, I'm dying to see it, it's supposed to be at our store but hasn't made it yet. Hopefully in the next week or so!

kimmylynnk

I Have the click connect 40

I have the click connect 40. I had the chicco key fit 30 . Bought the Graco cc40 when my son was 11months , 24 lbs, and 29" tall. The height limit is higher than the key fit and this one is easier to take on trips when flying, etc. instead of a convertible. It also clicks on the stroller when going through the airport. The base slides back so there is more room for babies legs and the head piece slides up. DS seems to like it for now as do I. I dont remove it from car unless traveling, and I leave the base at home when we do. I plan on keeping him rear facing as long as possible so I'll probably go with Britax after this one. I did try the FOONF , but returned it. It was so high in the minivan and would be a bear to travel with.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Re: I Have the click connect 40

I know there's a childhood obesity epidemic, and that some kids are 40 lbs. at 2 years, and all, but this is definitely marketing, because childhood obesity to that level is more prevalent in market segments that do not have the kind of money that they want to buy the more expensive seats with higher limits, so...

Syllieann

The weight limit is probably more than is necessary but the height limit is where it has the edge. Plus, there are always parents that get to within 3 lbs of the limit and begin to get really nervous so I don't see any harm in a higher limit, even if it is unrealistic for most kids. From the carseatblog review, the height limit appears to be fairly realistic. As pp pointed out, the seat could be extremely useful in certain situations. A couple more i can think of...coupes where you already have an erf kid on one side and no way to access them with a second rf seat back there, unless its a bucket. Also good for taxis.

Chris

I actually sat my average sized 2.5 yr old in it and he fit. He was a bit squished in the shoulders, but he had a bit of space over his head and because you can move the seat back on the base he had what looked like more legroom than his blvd. I loved that rebound bar, slide back feature and would love to see it on convertibles. I don't think this is a seat geared towards ERFers, but is a good option for those who are trained to think a kid goes from an infant bucket to FFing.

I went with the 40 over the 35 first based on availability, but then based on the fact that 40 has base lock-off and 35 doesn't. (if the 35 did, I'd have snatched it up in a heartbeat...I LOVED the Tangerine print though it's not available until April)

So even with non-CC options, in the end I went with the CC40 but bought it because I liked the print and the fact that it didn't feel any heavier or take up anymore space (less, even) than the SR35 I wanted...and in the end the CC40 cost me less than the SR35. For me a SR22 feels like a waste (because I actually like the versatility of the infant seat, even though I'm a babywearing mom! So the possibility of using it for less than a year doesn't feel worth it to me!), and the SR30 was too narrow at the top for my liking (along with not having lock-off). The 40lb weight limit had little to do with my decision (height is a plus, though, as I think lower height limit seats are a waste, too)...I generally switch mine to RF convertibles somewhere around 18-24 months anyway.

I DO like Graco infant seats, but not because their marketing gimmicks get me...simply because what they have generally meets my needs (and my price range) better than the other seats.

Kappy

Senior Community Member
I bought a CC40 for our newbie due next month. I've tested my 2 year old in it, and he fits properly. I'd never need it to the weight limit, but the fact that *my* kiddo probably will not outgrow it until at least 2 years of age is why I bought it.

The seat itself is different from the other Click Connect models.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC