Our new Parkway is completely incompatible with my belts. WWYD now? Keep for other car or keep searching?

Athena

I feel like I've been searching for the right booster forever. I thought we'd found it when the Parkway SGL fit both our secondary vehicle and DD in that secondary vehicle well. However, I wanted to train her in my car first, so I went to put it in today and, well just look at the pictures. It twists and does not move through the guide without considerable effort. Not again! :(

So, what would you do now? I'd really prefer to have a booster that worked in both cars she mainly rides in, both so we could use it in both and so it's more likely to work in other cars she might ride in. Is that really too much to ask for?

She was excited to take her first ride in it today, but I had to say no. :(

Last edited:
ADS

Athena

Pondering options -- If it works in our car, I could just booster her in our nauti for a while and hope another tall booster option comes out. Or, if the Frontier will work as a booster later, I could buy another one so I don't have to hand hers down, but she's on the top harness slot, so probably not. Or, I could keep the Parkway and only use it in the other car. Or???

I really prefer latch and she's tall and slim.

cupcakepirate11

What about the peg booster?

Are you talking about latch for a harnessed seat or to keep a booster in place? For a harnessed seat you probably need a seatbelt install if your daughter is over 40 lbs so I wouldnt look for latch as a must have feature

Athena

Thank you!

I meant I prefer latchable boosters. :)

I don't know anything about the Peg boosters other than seeing one thread on it. It looks pretty, but I don't know if that side cup holder would be usable in our car and it's a lot of money. I was hoping to stay around $100, but if it's necessary, would pay more. Do we know the top belt guide height? I really wish I had a store around here that carried a decent booster selection. That would make this so much easier.

NVMBR02

Does the nautilus work well as a booster for her in that position? If so, I would just use that for awhile. I thought I heard that Recaro was possibly going to release a probooster with LATCH. Otherwise, you can continue to save up for another booster.

Also, does the belt twist like that when the headrest of the parkway is raised a bit? I looks like it is probably just incompatible with that seat belt to me, but I would at least give it a try with the headrest raised. If it is something that would work in the future, you could switch her to the Parkway once the nauti was outgrown.

Also have you tried the Monterey? What about the Affix (or is that too short?)?

Athena

Thank you for the responses. Prompted by your questions, I tried a few more things.

(1) Tried raising the Parkway headrest, but it did not help. :( So that booster would not be an option for this vehicle.

(2) Tried the Nauti and Turbo and I think it's a no for them too. (Starting to think we'll need a new car. :eek:) From what I can tell, the problem is that the seat belt is actually coming out of the vehicle frame forward of the booster belt guides and needs to make a slight turn around it. Also, didn't love the lap belt fit on the Nauti in this car, but that's not the main problem. Is there something I could be doing wrong? My vehicle's back seats don't recline, so it can't be that.

Finally, what is the geometry of the Oobr guides, with reference to my discussion of the geometry above? For example, are the flat on the back or angled 45 degrees towards the side? I ruled it out based on price, short seat, etc., but I need to reconsider options. Is it as tall? Cup holder(s)? Nice, cozy fabric that's easy to wash? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

firemomof3

The Oobr does come with a drink holder, its very comfortable (from my kids experience anyway), fabric is crazy stain resistant.
Here are some pics of the Oobr belt guides:
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Oobr002.jpg

Athena

Those Oobr belt guides do look promising. And it fits skinnies will too? I might have to consider it. I really didn't want to spend that much.

tiggercat

The Oobr does come with a drink holder, its very comfortable (from my kids experience anyway), fabric is crazy stain resistant.

Do her shoulders touch the metal rods of the raised head restraint?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

firemomof3

Do her shoulders touch the metal rods of the raised head restraint?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

No, the seatback & headrest keep the body off the rods. I asked the same thing and she said no.
And yes it fits skinny kids well. Here is my dd2 when she was 4y/o & 31lbs.
**This picture was just for fun, she was still harnessed at this time!**
boosters004.jpg

Athena

That is a nice fit! And what a total cutie!

Do you know how tall the belt guides go? The measurements here show a fairly big range. The taller the better.

Also, any idea how well rigid latch works when the vehicle's latch bars are buried deep into the seat, like they're under the ridge at the bottom of the seat, so you have to go down instead of back. Sorry, it's hard to explain.

Athena

Is that your 58" kid in the second picture? Does she still fit? I'm wondering how strict that 57" limit is and how much growing room my DD might have in it.

I had a chance to sit her in an Oobr today in my car (briefly) and those belt guides actually work with my vehicle's shoulder belts! Yay! It still almost wants to get hung up if you're not careful, but when I had her lean forwards out of position to test it (telling, never do this! ;)), it retracted.

It's still a lot of money and her legs are already hanging out in front of it (but she says it's fine), but it's a huge relief to have an option for this car and it's a lot less money then buying a new car. :D

ETA: I wish they still made your cover. That's my favorite. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC