I just scored...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They aren't especially tippy but I am not really comfortable with them in. non-LATCH positions (long term at least) because they're so heavy because of European testing on heavy vs light boosters.

Jessica61624

They aren't especially tippy but I am not really comfortable with them in. non-LATCH positions (long term at least) because they're so heavy because of European testing on heavy vs light boosters.

Interesting. Were getting a new car but I'm not sure what yet. It will have latch but with our 3 across we may not be able to use it anyways.

cso1997

Wow, that is awesome. That would make my day! I do agree with Anne though. It is so heavy that I try really, really hard to keep it LATCHed in.

gsdguenter

Yeah, I have an Oobr and I only use it LATCHd in. I'd be nervous about the weight of it. But for that price, who cares if it sits around in your house until you get a car with LATCH!!!

mevs mom

What is this European testing? My 6 year old is in a frontier but hopefully by 7 we will be buying a dedicated booster seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Several European studies have shown better injury criteria to dummies tested in either lightweight seats or seats affixed with lower anchors, as opposed to very heavy combination seats. I prefer, based on this testing, to either have my children in a lighter weight dedicated booster, or in a booster or combination seat that can be anchored with LATCH.

Athena

A return clek oobr at target for $78!! Brand new in the plastic. Dom 6/2012! Its the faux pattern.

So jealous! You got a decent DOM with that rockin cool cover too! That's a $325 seat! So jealous!!!

Several European studies have shown better injury criteria to dummies tested in either lightweight seats or seats affixed with lower anchors, as opposed to very heavy combination seats. I prefer, based on this testing, to either have my children in a lighter weight dedicated booster, or in a booster or combination seat that can be anchored with LATCH.

To clarify, you are referring to combo seats used in booster mode, right? Why didn't they compare heavy dedicated boosters latched vs. unlatched and combo seats in booster mode latched vs. unlatched? Or did they?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They LATCHED the ones that could be. The others couldn't be. The correlation between heavy booster and higher injury markers wasn't present in anchored ones, so it's a reasonable guess that anchoring them prevented the loading that seemed to be causing higher injury numbers.

thekatie

They LATCHED the ones that could be. The others couldn't be. The correlation between heavy booster and higher injury markers wasn't present in anchored ones, so it's a reasonable guess that anchoring them prevented the loading that seemed to be causing higher injury numbers.

But this is still all boosters, or combination seats in booster mode at least? Does that imply in any way that possibly, oh I don't even know how to put into words what I'm thinking. Like, the idea that boosters are exempt from LATCH limits because the booster is just a positioner (is that a word?) and the seatbelt alone restrains the child - well, if a child in an unLATCHed booster could be injured whereas a child in a LATCHed booster wasn't in the same way/extent, maybe it's not just a positioner? That's not right, but like I mentioned, I can't verbalize what seems odd about these studies (which I haven't read or anything, going by what you've said) and what I (think) I know about boosters.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What happened was loading from behind. The heavier boosters were more likely to move forward more than the lighter ones (which makes sense...) Kind of like cargo-loading with unsecured stuff hitting the seat and pushing the child further forward. The tests I read about were on both dedicated boosters with and without ISOFIX, and on combination seats with and without, of varying weights.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC