Is this outgrown?

Stelvis

We will be visiting MIL in FL at the beginning of April. She drives a 2012 BMW X5. The back seat is not very wide. DH has to sit in the front passenger seat, and last year I was able to get us 3 across the back with DS behind the driver in a GoHybrid, me in the middle, and DD in the BLVD (RF obviously). We BARELY all fit. DD used the BLVD on the plane and DS used a CARES harness.

So, I just installed the Go in my car because I was nervous that he has outgrown the harness. I realize it can gain or lose height in different vehicles but I have no way to test it in her car. The shoulder adjuster is as high as it will go.

View attachment 19726

View attachment 19727

So that looks outgrown, right?

If so, what are my options? I will not fit in between anything wider than what I already have. A Maestro is not going to work, it will be too wide to allow me to buckle.

Should I look for a narrow booster and start booster training him? I would be sitting right next to him the entire trip so I could remind him to sit properly. He is well behaved and takes safety seriously so I think he could handle it with an adult right there.

Last edited:
ADS

Stelvis

yes it looks outgrown to me.

I'd definitely get a vest, easier to travel with than a booster and no worry about proper positioning

Traveling with a seat is not a concern, since I can ship it directly to MIL and she can bring it to the airport when she picks us up.

My concern with the RSTV, from what I've read, is that his torso may be too long for the size small, but he is too light for the minimum weight on the large, and the large probably would not fit him properly.

To give you an idea of his torso, he's on the third from the top click of the Frontier. He's outgrown the top harness position on the TFP.

aeormsby

Yes that looks outgrown to me too. When does he turn 5? Will you always be sitting next to him on the trip? If you'll always be in the back I'd probably look for a booster (possibly even a NBB)

I need to check my DS in our GO. We'll be flying once or twice this summer and he may be getting close to maxing it out. If he is we'll be getting a Harmony Literider (he's been begging for the flame one ever since we got DD the zebra one 1.5yrs ago). He'll be 5.5yo by the time we travel and my main concern with him in a booster is that he'll fall asleep on long drives. Hopefully his legs keep growing and not his torso! (he had a little room to grow last time we used it in Sept)

Stelvis

His birthday is in August so he'll be 4.5. He rarely if ever sleeps in the car. Like maybe twice in his life. And yes, I'd be sitting beside him the whole time. There would be a couple trips back and forth from her condo to Orlando, about 1 hour, depending on what parks we go to. The other car trips would be short.

SIL and BIL are visiting her now. They have 3 across with SIL, almost 6 year old nephew in a Bubble Bum in the center, and almost 2 year old nephew in an RA50.

MommyShannon

Would a HB TB fit? With you beside him, it would be a lot easier keeping him in position. My DS can be pretty wild but he would have done ok at 4 with me beside him on short drives. I'd be iffy with a NBB though. I think having the same feel as a carseat helps and limits side to side moving.

Stelvis

Would a HB TB fit? With you beside him, it would be a lot easier keeping him in position. My DS can be pretty wild but he would have done ok at 4 with me beside him on short drives. I'd be iffy with a NBB though. I think having the same feel as a carseat helps and limits side to side moving.

I definitely think I'd like to try a HBB first. I may go pick up a TB today if they're still on sale because I'd want him to practice first up here. I am not confident he will gain any weight between now and then so it has to have a 30 lb minimum.

Stelvis

Another question -- does this mean he's outgrown the CARES? I know it has a 40" height limit but last year I made a parental decision to use it at 40.5"....

ETA: I just measured his chest circumference and got 21" over a thick fleece shirt. So the RSTV isn't going to work I don't think.

Last edited:

bella_1818

I suspect what happens on the CARES is that as the child gets taller, their shoulder height is closer to the part of the plane seat that narrows/tapers. The warning labels on CARES will prevent you from tightening it enough to stay in position.

FWIW: I'd be comfortable using it as long as I could make it work.

Stelvis

I suspect what happens on the CARES is that as the child gets taller, their shoulder height is closer to the part of the plane seat that narrows/tapers. The warning labels on CARES will prevent you from tightening it enough to stay in position.

FWIW: I'd be comfortable using it as long as I could make it work.

That makes sense. I guess I'd take it and try it out.

Stelvis

Okay, so, Harmony Defender -- wow, that crotch buckle is short! That thing is a dealbreaker. DS said it hurt.

Phineasmama

What about the Harmony folding travel booster? Or if you don't need the folding option you could always just get a HB Turbo, it's pretty good for 3 across.

Stelvis

What about the Harmony folding travel booster? Or if you don't need the folding option you could always just get a HB Turbo, it's pretty good for 3 across.

OMG that's a great idea. I just went to Target and got a rain check for a TB but I like the idea of the folding one. I have to go to the other WalMart in town to find one in stock.

Phineasmama

Yeah I might be getting at least one because I think it would fit in the overhead bin of an airplane...hopefully lol. And we will be flying with all 3 kids sometime this year.

aeormsby

Man, that folding booster is cool! I need to keep that in mind for DS if he doesn't fit in the GO for summer travel!!

Athena

My concern with the RSTV, from what I've read, is that his torso may be too long for the size small, but he is too light for the minimum weight on the large, and the large probably would not fit him properly.

To give you an idea of his torso, he's on the third from the top click of the Frontier. He's outgrown the top harness position on the TFP.

Is the small RSTV really that small? I know overall height doesn't mean that much, but they list it as up to 52", right? It was almost too big when DD1 was 4yo and we are planning to use it for DD2 at 4.5 (almost 5), but I haven't tried it on because it didn't even occur to me it might be too small. :eek: Did you see that others are outgrowing them really early?

Sorry, I don't have any better suggestions for your DS than you've already received. I thought of a Maestro, but would that be too short for him?

littleangelfire

At 30lbs I think it's safe to say the large RSTV would be too loose. It was nearly too loose on my son (95th for height and weight) when I bought it for him and he was at least 40lbs then, actually I think he was 43lbs. I had it cinched as tight as it would go. You might see if you can find someone on here who has a small and could measure it from shoulder to the bottom of the vest. Or are there measurements online? I just loved the ease of traveling with it! They so need to come out with a medium. There is just a pretty large gray area that neither size will fit or fit well, at least.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you decide to go with a HBB you wouldn't have to bring one with- you could have her pick one up there, or have it shipped there, and leave it for another trip or have her donate it to a women's shelter or whatever when you're gone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC