My FB message to Toyota

Mel281

My Facebook message to Toyota. I hope they get enough similar feedback from people to make some changes.

"I just want to say how shocked I am at how unfriendly this generation of Sienna is for families with young children. I just bought a 2006 Sienna and love it so far, but am not likely to even consider this new generation unless some changes are made. By far, the biggest disappointment and safety concern is the lack of upper tether anchors in the third row. In the second generation, Toyota was very competitive with Honda, having just one less upper tether anchor in the third row, but other advantages to make it more appealing to families. The eight seater was loved by the families on car seat safety forums. Now in this third generation, not only did you not match Honda's upper tether totals, you have dropped the numbers! This is a VERY important safety feature for our children to the age of 6 or so. It can't be that expensive to include. And while the 8th seat was equipped with a full LATCH set in the old Siennas, the new one is worthless. Small, and no lower anchors or upper tethers. Kids are in child seats longer than ever and a minivan should be designed to hold them all safely. In addition to the the insane lack of child seat friendly seating positions, the floor tracks in the second row look like crumb, dirt and food collecting magnets. The final bone I have to pick is that the folding of the third row was not easy to do one handed in the 2013 I looked at. What I think Toyota needs to do is keep the external styling of the new generation, but return to some of the basic concepts of the second. Offer an 8 seater option with 3 good sized seats, all of them should be fully LATCH equipped, and for goodness sakes, offer it in the higher end packages! And arm rests would be a bonus. Make the third row have 3 upper tethers!! Why not? At LEAST give it two. Seriously, it cannot cost that much. Also, the tumbling seats in the older generation are great, I feel much better than sliders. I think if you considered these points for your next model year, your sales would be so much improved. You can read all about the disappointment of mothers regarding the current generation Sienna on the forums of www.car-seat.org."

ADS

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I know they've received at least one more. My friend loves her new sienna, but it has been a nightmare. I know I've got lots more hours left to log in the back seat of that ^#*+ van. Toyota was way less than helpful when she asked questions.

luckyclov

I think people get so caught up in the "lack of" LATCH in the new generation Sienna. Some people, those with multiple young(er) children, perhaps rightfully so, but others, I think they create unnecessary drama.

I bought a Sienna in March of 2011 (it was an '11) after a few months of debating between it and the Ody. Lack of LATCH wasn't an issue for me because I had 3 children, one in a highback booster and another nearing highback booster use. For me, the Ody was (big) kid unfriendly and the Sienna better met MY growing family's needs. The 8th seat was not useless for me. It served a very important purpose. I can not tell you how many times that little 8th seat saved my a$$ when I had an unexpected extra kid and no booster seat or seating space for a booster seat. Because that 8th seat was so "small", it actually fit younger (legally old enough, of course) children beautifully and provided an adequate belt fit/5-step.

I no longer have the Sienna. I now have an Ody. I did not get rid of the Sienna because it was a nightmare (in fact, the only complaint I ever came up with was the antenna broke off in the car wash -- and I wish the door sensors were as sensitive as my Grand Caravan's), I got rid of it because I was looking to stay in a vehicle longish-term (and by longish- term, I mean longer than 16 months, which has been my history the last several years) and with all the hoopla people are throwing at Toyota (some I feel is justified, some I feel is not), I was concerned my vehicle would lose value more aggressively. So now I'm in the Ody, which has plenty of LATCH, but no longer allows my oldest to ride in a highback booster in the 3rd row. He's also further away from 5-stepping. And I've given up a lot of 2nd row leg room and cargo space.

What I would like to see Toyota do is re-invest some time and energy into better frontal crash protection and over-lap protection.

Blah.

Cars suck.

Rant over.

Phineasmama

I'd love to have a Sienna. At least it would be generally usable for booster riders! I only have 3 sets of LATCH in my dodge van, and the seat belts are horrible for boosters. You wanna talk about a non car seat friendly FAMILY vehicle...jeez. More people can afford the caravan than the Sienna or Ody but it's much worse for big families!

gigi

I'd love to have a Sienna. At least it would be generally usable for booster riders! I only have 3 sets of LATCH in my dodge van, and the seat belts are horrible for boosters. You wanna talk about a non car seat friendly FAMILY vehicle...jeez. More people can afford the caravan than the Sienna or Ody but it's much worse for big families!

Unless you want to LATCH your booster AND have FFers tethered.

These yahoos that design minivans are talking to the wrong focus groups! In my vehicle with a fairly useless 3rd row I have tether anchors in all rear seating positions....seems like that should be the norm by now!

luckyclov

I had a Grand Caravan ('09) before the Sienna. The 3rd row of that thing HATED booster seats and car seats and people. :p

MommyShannon

I think people get so caught up in the "lack of" LATCH in the new generation Sienna. Some people, those with multiple young(er) children, perhaps rightfully so, but others, I think they create unnecessary drama.

I bought a Sienna in March of 2011 (it was an '11) after a few months of debating between it and the Ody. Lack of LATCH wasn't an issue for me because I had 3 children, one in a highback booster and another nearing highback booster use. For me, the Ody was (big) kid unfriendly and the Sienna better met MY growing family's needs. The 8th seat was not useless for me. It served a very important purpose. I can not tell you how many times that little 8th seat saved my a$$ when I had an unexpected extra kid and no booster seat or seating space for a booster seat. Because that 8th seat was so "small", it actually fit younger (legally old enough, of course) children beautifully and provided an adequate belt fit/5-step.

I no longer have the Sienna. I now have an Ody. I did not get rid of the Sienna because it was a nightmare (in fact, the only complaint I ever came up with was the antenna broke off in the car wash), I got rid of it because I was looking to stay in a vehicle longish-term (and by longish- term, I mean longer than 16 months, which has been my history the last several years) and with all the hoopla people are throwing at Toyota (some I feel is justified, some I feel is not), I was concerned my vehicle would lose value more aggressively. So now I'm in the Ody, which has plenty of LATCH, but no longer allows my oldest to ride in a highback booster in the 3rd row. He's also further away from 5-stepping. And I've given up a lot of 2nd row leg room and cargo space.

Blah.

Cars suck.

Rant over.

Why don't HBBs work? I'd like a new model Ody someday, though I'm happy with our '06 for now.

Top tethers is a deal breaker for me at this point too. A lot of people will pick where they want their kids THEN connect a top tether if ones available. The more seats with TT, the better the chance seats will be tethered. For everything else, there will be differing opinions, but it'd be great for TT to be everywhere.

luckyclov

Why don't HBBs work? I'd like a new model Ody someday, though I'm happy with our '06 for now.
Some highback boosters will work in the 3rd row, but as the child grows and the booster extends, you will run into an issue because the roofline in the Ody is lower. My 10 year old no longer fits in any of the 3rd row seating positions (height wise) with a HBB. He wasn't happy about it, but when I we got the Ody, he had to move to a backless.

MommyShannon

Some highback boosters will work in the 3rd row, but as the child grows and the booster extends, you will run into an issue because the roofline in the Ody is lower. My 10 year old no longer fits in any of the 3rd row seating positions (height wise) with a HBB.

Thanks! I have a friend whose teenager says its uncomfortable back there too. He's way beyond boosters though.

Phineasmama

Yeah I agree whoever is designing minivans are smoking something lol. I mean some things are really nice, like the sliding doors and it being lower to the ground. But why can't they get the seating right???

kam1011

I don't have a problem with it. I have three kids and they never have nor will be top tethered at the same time. (even if they were, I'd still be okay with three kids) I wanted the tiny 8th seat to use occasionally, but not crowd the van all the time. I've used it twice to date. I think it's good that we have options.

bbartlettnfld

Interesting! At least in the USA where tethering is still considered optional the seating area is still usable.. What about Canadian owners where TT is mandatory! Too bad!

rachelandtyke

I will be very sad when we have to replace our van. I always wanted a Toyota, but I like the flexibility to put any child in any spot. Our van has LATCH option for all seating positions in the back and TTs for every seat in the back.

SavsMom

I think that both the Sienna and the Ody are great vans, there are pros and cons to each (as with any vehicle). I was told by a corporate member at SE Toyota that the seating configuration (primarily the 8th seat) was changed due to the lack of sales of the previous generation 2004-2010 model year, that the new design would allow families more options, and also that the majority of families that purchase a minivan have an average of 3 children. We also had a good conversation about latch, top tethers, etc.

Having worked at a large Toyota dealer here in Florida for 7 years I only sold 2 8-passenger Siennas in my time there, when the current generation came out we had 3 8-passenger vans left that ended up being purchased for the dealerships rental fleet because they did not sell.

Truth is, the overwhelming amount of families only wanted the 7 passenger, and in all honesty were more concerned about DVD players than the number of latch/top tether locations in the van.

christineka

I have 6 kids. I like the flexibility of being able to put forward-facing car seats almost anywhere in my van. Honestly, there were times when I had to give up on rearranging my van and just stick a ffing car seat in that one spot with no top tether. I know that many families buy minivans without filling up the whole vehicle with their own family members, but it's good to have the option. I know those full sized vans are quite popular where I live, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC