top harness slot height

bekah

My friend has a very tall 3.5 year-old. He is in a Britax Frontier and she says he's already at the top harness height but he is not mature enough to be in a booster any time soon. He probably still has at least 6 months to go before he outgrows it. Is there any seat out there with a harness taller than the Britax Frontier? What are her other options?

ADS

Stelvis

That's all there is. She could try installing it in a different seating position to see if it gives her more room.

bekah

I am not sure. She only bought it a year ago but it could be older. I will tell her that the newer one is a bit taller. At least she can buy that one to give him another 6 months or so and pass down the other Frontier to her younger child.

MommyShannon

It's probably an 85 then. That's a crazy height/torso! My tall 7.5 year old still has growing room in the FR85. I'd have her check his torso height and make sure the straps aren't caught on something keeping it from going taller.

Stelvis

Yes, if she just bought it new a year ago, it has to be an 85.

You might also want to mention, if he's over 40 lbs, she should be installing with a seatbelt.

Baylor

Tell her not to panic. They don't often grow a lot after then. She will have some time. I bought it for my son because he was outgrowing GN and he is just now on the top slot. Make sure she has it on the top slot, and that it is installed correctly. with the boot forward in harness mode.

Can you ask her to measure childs torso? Have them sit against a wall with their legs crossed and then measure from bum to top of shoulder.

Athena

Wow, that's (almost unbelievably) tall! Did he just move up? If so, he probably has a year to grow that inch in torso. And she's certain it's on the top position? It should be fairly obvious in back if it's at the top position because that's as far up as the indentation goes. However, I'd have her measure the front just to make sure the slots are at about 20". If not, then check the back again. HTH.

Stelvis

FWIW, DS has moved up 4 notches in 2 years -- I really do believe it's possible if her car is eating height that a 3.5 year old could be nearing the top if he's huge.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It is extremely common for parents to think the Frontier 85 is on the top slot when, in fact, it isn't. I am not sure why that is, but I would definitely have her check again. Like Featherhead said, make sure she's loosening the harness and then adjusting the height.

If this is just a crazy giant of a kid, and if he really does outgrow the harness before he's ready to be boostered, I would probably consider an EZ-on 86Y harness along with the Frontier in booster mode with the SecureGuard attachment. She might want to call Britax to confirm that they would be OK with this set-up, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work nicely. EZ-On approves the use of their harness with a booster as long as the booster manufacturer OKs it. I think only Diono has come out and officially approved it... I might make the parental decision to try it anyway whether Britax is willing to stand behind it or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC