If a child weighed 38lbs naked...

ADS

HappyHoo

I kept an eye on my DS' weight fully clothed - checking fairly regularly until I saw that he hit 39.6 lbs with shoes on. I turned him FF in the car that had the 40 lb RF limit after that.

My DD I did the same thing - both of my kids tend to gain slow with a big jump a few times ea year. So I remember my DD getting close to the RF limit on her seat but then dropping a few oz and staying there for months before she hit a growth spurt and got within a few oz so I switched her.

Phineasmama

Soooo is the crash dummy 40 lbs? With or without clothes? Because you'd think they wouldn't make a dummy that is like 38.5 lbs to account for clothing.

rachelandtyke

I'd reweigh with clothes and shoes on. My kids weigh themselves naked as well since the scale is in the bathroom.

mommyfrog

Soooo is the crash dummy 40 lbs? With or without clothes? Because you'd think they wouldn't make a dummy that is like 38.5 lbs to account for clothing.

I'd think that they make the dummies the specific weight they need to be and people add the clothes for fun. I don't worry about a few ounces. My ds was 38 pounds on our scale in his clothes and shoes, rode rf in his Radian with rf limit of 40 pounds, then was 40 pounds on my sister's scale when we got there 20 minutes later. I didn't stress it or turn his seat ff until he asked me to a couple days later. It was rf for my 2yo nephew and I didn't have time to turn it before we left!!

ETA: Wow...that was interesting to read. So I wonder how much the dummies weigh before they add the specific weights of clothes. Anyway, my point was that scales are different so I don't stress over a few ounces. I go by my scales at home, fully dressed with shoes. It weighs my kids the same as the scale at their doctor. My sister's weighs two pounds heavier than mine but the same as her doctor's.

Last edited:

hrice

With clothes on he is probably at the weight limit. Add in a good meal and he would likely be over. Unless you want to weigh him before every car ride I would FF him.

jjordan

Assuming this is not just hypothetical, and it's in fact referring to the almost-4 year old in your sig, then absolutely I would turn around to FF immediately.

If it's hypothetical and we're talking about a (hypothetical) kid that is 2.5 years old, then I would re-weigh with clothes on and turn only when the weight was 40. And I might do crazy things like take off the kid's shoes in the car so I didn't have to include shoe weight. :)

Phineasmama

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They do some extrapolation, though. Dummies that are less than and more than the specified weights are used along with computer modeling and in some cases additional weight to determine parameters.

The day I weighed Olivia at 38.5lbs clothed I stopped letting her ride RFing in the SmartSeat. She had been 35lb clothed about 6 weeks prior and jumped.

She goes weeks without eating a ton and then gains in a week of stuffing her face. I knew she could gain 1.5lbs before the next time she rode in my car so I called it that day.

2 months later, she's still pissed.

...she's 4y, 5m old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC