Question Long lasting infant seat

bpirof

Hi!! My lo has grown out of his infant seat at 17 lbs :-/ it was supposed to go to 22 and I'm hating using a convertible right now, it's harder to keep him warm in below 0 weather and he's to small dr riding in carts and sitting in restaurant high chairs and I'm just not ready for it lol I'd like to find a seat that can last long enough to justify buying it, he's 6 mos old now, 17 lbs 25 in long

Any suggestions??

ADS

mevs mom

The new graco click connect 40 should last till about 2 years according to graco. I've seen some older kids in it too.

Stelvis

How has he outgrown it? Is his head less than 1" from the top of the shell?

Also, we like to mention that you should never use an infant car seat in a shopping cart. :) It can make the cart extremely unstable, and even if it appears to click in place, it actually doesn't. Unfortunately many babies are hurt in car seat-shopping cart accidents every year. Instead, many people babywear while shopping, or push a stroller while pulling the cart behind them.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
There's a video of how to adjust the straps of a graco seat to the outer loops on youtube, but I'm not going to post it because some troll thought it would be fun to post a comment that consists entirely of swear words.

Follow the shoulder straps behind the shell and down to where they are connected to a metal bracket (called a splitter plate) by loops sewn into the straps. There will be two sets of loops, one where it most likely is now in about 3 inches up the strap. There is another loop right at the end of the strap. Move the splitter plate to those and you should be fine. If your baby's shoulders are at least as high as the next slot up, go ahead and move the harness to that slot while you are unhooking everything.

Spam

I have no experience with that seat. There are seats that have adjustable hip and harness straps to provide a better fit on a smaller baby that have to be later changed to fit a larger child, so double check the manual to see if there are any additional adjustments.

If you want to buy another bucket, the onboard35 air is really tall. My 14 month old still fits in it, and he's outgrown the snugride35 and keyfit30. Also the graco click connect40, first years via, and combi shuttle are very tall infant seats. The via and shuttle both require use of the base with a child above 22lbs, so if you ever install baseless something to keep in mind.

morninglori

Do you have any extra padding like extra infant padding that came with the seat or aftermarket bunting like a "bundle me" or similar? Removing anything that is behind your child will give you more room in your harness.

canadiangie

OP you have a Comfy Carry infant seat, and I don't recall noticing short harness straps (I didn't look), but I will say its not a huge seat. At 6 months old I could definetly see a baby outgrowing the overall dimension of the seat.

What vehicle do you have? The Graco 40 infant seat would last you a good long time, but it is a little larger so takes up more front to back space.

Another good option would be the Lamaze Via 35. It has a very tall shell and a 35 pound limit.

The Graco Snudride 32 or 35 is also a good option.

As is the Combi Shuttle, tho some people find it less user friendly than other seats.

Personally I would look at the Via 35. :)

bpirof

Yeah it isn't a really big seat, but he's not a very big baby, he's got at least 3 inches above his head, he's not even on the top slot for the harness, and plenty of room on the sides.... No bulky snow suit, I bundle him up with blankets over the harness.....
I even brought it to a car seat safety check last week and the woman there couldn't believe the straps weren't longer

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Have you called the manufacturer and explained the issue? They typically make changes to seats along the way from feedback so maybe they've got a solution, or at least it could help them resolve it for future seats.

keri1292

Definitely call the manufacturer. If they have a longer harness, you could make it until the weather warms up. I wouldn't want to replace a bucket for a 6 month old. My kids always preferred the more upright, better view convertibles. But perhaps your baby is less finicky. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC