Booster and belt issue

tl01

The location of the seat belt retractors is problematic for hbb in my car. The frontier 85 and oobr both get caught the way the belt is in the pic. The pwsg has bad belt placement on DS1 in this car. Can anyone think of a booster that might work with our shoulder belts? I would prefer a latchable booster.

20130130_184815_zps6aa1d9a3.jpg

ADS

Dillipop

What do the other belts in the back of your car look like? Are they all the same, coming out of the top of the seat? It's possible that since the belt is so low on the seat that most HBB's won't work in that seating position. A backless booster will probably work there or move the HBB to a spot where the belt comes out of the side of the car.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, that is what I said, but then I told her to start a thread, hoping there was something I wasn't thinking of.

Dillipop

Yeah, that is what I said, but then I told her to start a thread, hoping there was something I wasn't thinking of.

Great minds think alike!

The middle seat in my van (08 Sienna) has the belt coming out of the seat like that. My monterey fits there but with DS on the setting he needs, the belt goes up and over the back like pictured. I wasn't comfortable with that, so he now lives outboard where the belt comes from above the belt guide.

tl01

Center third row the belt comes from the ceiling and outboard it comes from a more normal position. I really don't want him in the third row for lots of reasons. Including the fact that we travel and often stow rhe third row.
How does rhe ceiling belt do with boosters?

Phineasmama

Maybe the cruiserfix pro? It's one of the only thjngs that will work in my grand caravan where every other booster has belt retraction issues. The FR85 did not let the belt retract at ALL

glockchick

Maybe the cruiserfix pro? It's one of the only thjngs that will work in my grand caravan where every other booster has belt retraction issues. The FR85 did not let the belt retract at ALL

That is so good to know! Everything I've tried except the TB does the same thing in my truck. I think I need one now...

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The location of the seat belt retractors is problematic for hbb in my car. The frontier 85 and oobr both get caught the way the belt is in the pic. The pwsg has bad belt placement on DS1 in this car. Can anyone think of a booster that might work with our shoulder belts? I would prefer a latchable booster.

How is the belt fit in the F85 and Oobr without the belt guide in use? If it's ideal without the guide, you might ask them how they feel about using the seat without it.

This was the answer given to me by Diono's tech when their 'new' (now not the newest) belt guides came out and were incompatible in my car. I was concerned about using the seat this way, but he did have great fit without the guide. And it makes sense, all it is is a guide.

Just a thought.

tl01

How is the belt fit in the F85 and Oobr without the belt guide in use? If it's ideal without the guide, you might ask them how they feel about using the seat without it.

This was the answer given to me by Diono's tech when their 'new' (now not the newest) belt guides came out and were incompatible in my car. I was concerned about using the seat this way, but he did have great fit without the guide. And it makes sense, all it is is a guide.

Just a thought.

It's not good with either:(.

tl01

So here it is in the back. I can't do the middle of the third row because it blocks my rearview.

The belt is unbuckled and not retracting. The belt retracts if you move the buckle closer to the retractor.

20130201_110916_zpscc5bf3e3.jpg

bnsnyde

What van do you have? We have the 2011 Odyssey. I thought you had that? Unless I remembered wrong.
We have the Oobr behind the passenger. Yeah, the belt does not really retract. I never really thought anything of it, but now that I do, I guess it's a bit of a pain. Update about asking why it should retract...(I should add that when he's in it it's fine; any normal movement he does causes no loosening problems). But it's still annoying that when he gets out it does not retract because too much slack and the seatbelt can lock and potentially get stuck around the seat if it retracts back, that sort of thing. I like him to start without slack if I remember to shove the belt back in.

In the 8th seat we have the Kiddyworld CruiserFix and it retracts. Awesome!!! It does make a bit of a blind spot, I suppose, but she's still kind of short.

Last edited:

tl01

What van do you have? We have the 2011 Odyssey. I thought you had that? Unless I remembered wrong.
We have the Oobr behind the passenger. Yeah, the belt does not really retract. I never really thought anything of it, but now that I do, I guess it's a bit of a pain.

In the 8th seat we have the Kiddyworld CruiserFix and it retracts. Awesome!!! It does make a bit of a blind spot, I suppose, but she's still kind of short.

I should ask why does the belt need to retract? The Oobr was our first booster so that's the only experience I've had. He tightens the belt a lot after buckling. I'm just curious why the belt needs to retract. I figured all seats were like that, lol.

I have a sienna now. It needs to retract because if a child moves at all while we are in motion then the belt doesn't retighten and it would be loose in a crash. I'm going to try the kiddy cruiserfix and hope we have enough space in it. DS1 is a pretty good size kid.

luckyclov

It probably won't help you much because that's a FR85 and not a PWSG/L, but when I had my Sienna ('11), DS1 rode in the center of the 3rd row in a PWSG and it was a great fit. You learn to work around the big bobblehead staring at you in the rear view mirror.

I think we've "talked" about his before, but the shoulder belts in the "regular" captains chairs come from the vehicle side wall not the vehicle seat, so it's a lot more booster friendly.

Time for a new car.:p

ETA: Just noticed your siggy, you do have a PWSG. Ding, ding, ding -- I say try that in the center 3rd row. :)

tl01

It probably won't help you much because that's a FR85 and not a PWSG/L, but when I had my Sienna ('11), DS1 rode in the center of the 3rd row in a PWSG and it was a great fit. You learn to work around the big bobblehead staring at you in the rear view mirror.

I think we've "talked" about his before, but the shoulder belts in the "regular" captains chairs come from the vehicle side wall not the vehicle seat, so it's a lot more booster friendly.

Time for a new car.:p

ETA: Just noticed your siggy, you do have a PWSG. Ding, ding, ding -- I say try that in the center 3rd row. :)

I don't love the belt fit if the pwsg and I need to see out the back to be safe. I become apprehensive without a good view for freeway driving.

bnsnyde

Ok, not sure about the Sienna.

In my van I notice the belt does not retract after he gets out of the car (just hangs there somewhat), at least it does not retract perfectly like the Kiddyworld one. But normal movement in his booster does not cause it to be loose. I have never seen it become at all loose, so it does seem to retract in that sense. Always nice and tight across his body.

The Oobr belt fit is really good on him (just no leg support). But I really like Kiddyworld's design!

My Monterey doesn't retract neither in this position (outboard passenger side '10 Sienna). I'm following this thread with interest!

toothdoc78

This is the same issue I'm currently having with my '11 Sienna - did you end up trying the Kiddy booster? I think I might give it a shot, but would love some feedback.

tl01

This is the same issue I'm currently having with my '11 Sienna - did you end up trying the Kiddy booster? I think I might give it a shot, but would love some feedback.

The Kiddy booster did not work out for us. The peg booster worked with the retractor but it didn't work with our headrest and the headrest is required. The parkway sgl was the only latchable booster I could get to work. I didn't try the new Graco latchable booster bc my guess is my son is already too tall for it. The belts in my car are really spectacular:(.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC